Bob Volman Price Action Scalping

One trade today. Took it 1 min before UK close, was concerned about volume but the buildup was very good.

Plus a couple of skips.

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    286.6 KB · Views: 152
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 142
Reactions: JRS
Anybody else trading today?

Since ECB changed schedule this year, Bob's charts have shown only one trade in US mornings (14-18) on minimum bid rate days.

One skip and one trade today. Should have skipped the trade.

Matt Chao, have you ever had problems with fxTrade? This is the first time for me. It just froze. I tried to enter on my cell phone but default size, stop, target are not there. So I re-started IE and login again. It was slow. Do you use the web version or desktop version? The desktop version cannot save my password so I use the web version.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    267 KB · Views: 158
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    287.1 KB · Views: 217
  • ECB.jpg
    ECB.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:
Matt Chao, have you ever had problems with fxTrade? This is the first time for me. It just froze. I tried to enter on my cell phone but default size, stop, target are not there. So I re-started IE and login again. It was slow. Do you use the web version or desktop version? The desktop version cannot save my password so I use the web version.

Cha-ching, I have experienced problems with this occasionally. It probably has more to do with Java or the web browser than anything else. The web version worked best with Firefox for me. A few weeks ago I switched to the desktop version. It seems to be more stable.

On another note...

This week I have done much more studying than trading, so not much to report. I'm trying to work-out what needs to change about my trading to make it to the next level. For a while I've felt like Bob described in one of his original e-mails to this group -- "things by now are starting to make sense, even if you are... hopping around break-even for what seems like an eternity" (post #1134).

In reviewing previous trades, I've discovered that I make a good profit on any trades where I see a correlation between the 5M and the 70T. I like using the 70T to choose the exact point of entry, but when I trade based on my observations of the 70T only, I typically show too much aggression. So I'm doing some back-testing with this in mind right now. I'm also reading Bob's second book on the 5M chart to refine my skills (can't believe I haven't read this yet).

I've been learning the Volman method of trading for about 2 1/2 years now. I started with his first book on the 70 tick chart and after he came out with his 2nd book on the 5 min chart I began trading those setups as well. For those of you who have not read his 2nd book I would recommend giving it a read. There's a lot of good stuff in there just like his first book.

Reading his 2nd book has helped me out in a number of ways. It helped me gain a better understanding of price action, it has helped me with the use of using angular lines - when BV started showing setups using angular lines on the 70 tick chart, initially I drew lines everywhere, and that gets you into trouble. Trading with the 5 min chart to compliment the 70 tick chart has also helped me see the bigger picture, since obviously the 5 min chart contains more price action - it's really nice to see the high and low of the UK session during the US session. One thing I am still working on is to vary my target from 10 pips to 20 pips. For the most part I only aim for 10 pips as that's what's fitting often, but the targets used in BV's 2nd book are for 20 pips (or less at times). The reason (I think) that the targets are 20 pips is simply because the 5 min chart is a higher time frame than the 70 tick. That makes sense right? The higher the time frame the larger the target more or less (and with respect to your stop loss of course). Put another way, the larger the pattern the bigger the break. For instance I wouldn't try for more than 10 pips on small range/BB on the 70 tick. That may only be 5 to 6 candles on the 5 min chart. However, a pattern that takes 3 to 5 hours to break on the 5 min chart certainly has the chance to pop for more than 10 pips. Perhaps the biggest way the 5 min chart has helped me to trade the 70 tick chart is that it has helped me to stay out of trouble by avoiding trades that look good and are so tempting to take, but should be avoided at all times. Take for example a bullish break from a pattern or even medium size news event that goes up a good 20 to 25 pips and then settles down into a block or a small range for 20 - 30 minute. I don't know about you but when I see that block/range break bearishly I am so tempted to counter trade it. I've gotten stung by that many many times, but now when I see a block like that and I'm tempted to counter trade it I will first give the 5 min chart a look and see how far away the moving average is from the PA. If the moving average is only like 5 or 6 pips away and hasn't been touched since the bullish breakout, then forget about it. Those most often don't make it very far from the block. However, if the 5 min moving average is lagging 10 or more pips below prices then trading countertrend can sometimes be worth a shot. Another example is trading a thin range (like 12 pips tall or less) and the range takes forever to break, like 1.5 to 2 hrs. (I'm talking about trading during the UK and US session on the EUR/USD, not a stale Asian session) These ranges often form during lunch hours (sorry I should also point out that I don't mean when price action goes dead in anticipation of a major news release either). In the past I would often try to trade an IRB break of these ranges. How many times have you seen these thin long ranges form a nice block like 1-3 pips below the top of the range, and then it breaks the IRB block and goes nowhere? This is where the 5 min chart helps me out nowadays. From the 5 min chart I'll trade a break of that range only if the break occurs at one of the extreme borders of the range (no IRB's) and provided the 5 min moving average is still drifting upwards (for a bullish break) and supporting the PA. Also I won't trade the break of such a range if it occurs at the session highs during lunch time (for a bull break) or the session lows for a bear break.

A word of caution!!! Your trading may get worse initially after you read BV's 2nd book.

Prior to reading BV's 2nd book I read his 1st book about 6 or 7 times and felt very good about the material, I still needed more screen time to practice trading the setups in real time, but I was confident I was just a few clicks away from putting it all together. After I read his 2nd book I was all messed up. One reason that I got messed up was that I would see a good trade develop on the 5 min chart but on the 70 tick chart it didn't look like a good trade, and vice versa. This happens rather often and takes some getting used to, but I'd also like to add that plenty of times a break on the 70 tick chart and the 5 min chart happen at the same price and it's always nice to see the same thing on two charts. My biggest struggle was learning to use angular lines. It's not as simple as connecting the bottoms of 2 candles in an uptrend with all of the price action residing above the line. Sometimes it is but many times it's better to draw an angular line with a few perforations through it. I've gotten a lot better at it but I still need more experience. I was also messed up because most of the setups in BV's 2nd book are different than the setups in his first book. So going through the trials and errors of learning the new setups chipped away at any confidence I had built up by learning his first book.

I've now read his 2nd book about 6 times and I feel I have a pretty good understanding of the material, however I'm still pretty much a break even trader. I'd like to go into detail about why I think that is and I will, but this post has already gotten a little long winded so I'll save it for another time.

Last edited:
Hello all,

Two setups from the morning, at around 11 & 12. The first was a Range Break (I think), and the second was a pullback type block break entry.

Attachments

• EURUSDM62023.png
    EURUSDM62023.png
    27 KB · Views: 218
  • EURUSDM62022.png
    EURUSDM62022.png
    25.8 KB · Views: 299
  • EURUSDM62024.png
    EURUSDM62024.png
    34.2 KB · Views: 244
This is the follow up to my last post where I'll talk about why I think I'm stuck at the "break even" trading stage despite having a pretty good grasp of the material in each of BV's books.

I have three "theories" about this. Theory 1: trading is boring. I hate to say it but it is.

I've been thinking over the last several weeks about trading and how it compares to other jobs and even other activities. What immediately sprung to mind was video games. Before I compare trading to video games let me say that between the trading books, trading magazines, and trading forums; I've come across the comparison of the two several times. Usually when they're compared it pertains to the psychological aspects of trading with more volume as your account balance grows. Basically if you have trouble making bigger trades then one should not think of their account balance as money and instead think of it as a score like a video game. The counter to that is that trading should never be treated like a video game and should be treated with the seriousness of a business. That's not what I want to discuss but I do want to compare trading to a video game.

I hope you guys are somewhat familiar with video games. I'm gonna pick a classic that I hope all of you know but really this can be done with any game. Let's compare trading to Super Mario Bros'...or better yet lets imagine what Super Mario Bros' would be like if it was more like trading.

Super Mario Bros', like most video games, is action packed. You're always doing something, running, jumping, collecting coins, avoiding bad guys that will do you harm etc., all with the goal of completing the level/game with the fastest time and/or the highest score.

Now lets play Super Mario Bros as if it were trading. Rather than the game being action packed it would play more like this: you'd be running along, running along, running, and after about 15 minutes there'd be a reason to jump. After about a half hour you come across a bad guy. After 45 min you collect your first coin......you jump again maybe twice...another bad guy and then after about 1.5 to 2 hours you get your first magic mushroom. Yay! I would say six hours later you get your first star that makes you invincible for 30 seconds but I'm playing Super Mario Bros in the style of trading and in trading nothing will make you invincible for any amount of time.

If that was what Super Mario Bros was like then it would be pretty damn boring!! As we all know Super Mario Bros, and video games in general, are quite the opposite to the "trading" version of the game. They get your attention and hold it by continuously having you do something.

To go a little further, in general our modern society has at its disposal many ways to fulfill ones appetite of being constantly engaged in something to ultimately achieve instant gratification. Aside from video games we have television (today's TV is more like TV on steroids compared to 20 years ago, there's like 150 more channels and On Demand programming), and of course we have our smart phones and tablets. Remember what it was like to only be able to talk to someone on the phone when you had to be at your home(or pay phone) and you had to catch them at their home?

Don't get me wrong I love all those things and I'm not trying to say anything bad about them, but perhaps they have eroded our capacity to be patient and maybe we also feel the need to be engaged in something at virtually all times throughout the day. Over the years there's been wonderful technology that has catered to our appetite to be engaged in an instant. Over the same years trading, while less taking place on an exchange floor, hasn't changed. The patterns we trade still take the same amount of time to set up.

When I first developed an interest in trading I really didn't know what trading was like. How could I, I didn't know squat. It didn't take too long to learn that trading off a daily chart was way slower than trading a 15 min chart. Until BV's books all I knew about scalping was that scalpers hold their trades for a short amount of time, they look for small movements, they generally take trades with a R/R ratio of 1:1, and they make many trades throughout the day. Prior to BV's books the most content I could find about scalping in a trading book was about 1 or 2 paragraphs long, if anything was said on the topic (and no I haven't read every trading book). So my impression of scalping was that it was action packed...like in and out of trades every 5-10 minutes, I guess I thought it was a lot like what a frenetic group of floor traders look like when the action picks up.

Now I know better thanks to BV, and now that I know better I think I am struggling to fully come to terms with what trading is really like. It's not action packed like a bunch of floor traders screaming their heads off. Instead, especially when compared to a crazy floor pit, trading is quite boring.

That's probably a good thing. Action like a busy trading pit is probably quite stressful. Waiting for a 1.5 to 2 hour range to break on the 70 tick or the 5 min chart, while not devoid of any stress, has gotta be way less stressful.

I trade 3 pairs. The EUR/USD, AUD/USD, and the JPY/USD. I watch them on 6 monitors. 3 for the 70 tick charts and 3 for the 5 min charts........and still I find myself rather bored numerous times throughout the day. When I'm bored I try to multitask and find something on the internet to read. This does not help my trading. I can say without a doubt that when I focus on trading alone my performance is way better...I pick up on more of the subtle details like false highs/lows, and I don't get suckered in to false breaks and such.

At this point in my trading career I have a pretty good understanding of price action, I know well each of the setups in both of BV's books including the entry and exit criteria.......and I'm stuck. I'm not saying there isn't any more room for improvement in those areas, there is, but it's more of a sharpening of my understanding than needing a light bulb to go off.

I guess what I'm trying to get at is that the greatest area I need improvement on is how to deal with the boredom aspect of trading. I need to accept trading/scalping for what it is and then do what is necessary to trade well.

Looks like I got long winded again. Theories 2 and 3 will have to wait until another time.

Long time no see guys.

Don't really have the time to trade a lot, but I started looking at 5 min charts a little bit.

Just took this trade on demo. This is the type of stuff that really breaks my heart. So many trades on EUR/USD backlash due to low volatility. This seems to be much less of an issue on trading stocks (which is what I'd like to practice now, partly with Bob's methods).

Attachments

• Break.PNG
    Break.PNG
    74.3 KB · Views: 279
Agree with PipMonster24 trading is boring. Volman style scalpers are like snipers. We wait patiently for the best opportunity and have to minimize the risk of backfire. I found this link helpful where you can compare a sniper's quality with that of a BV scalper:

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com/CVT-sniper.htm

To fight boredom, focus, and remain relaxed, I found one of Bob's old emails accompanying his charts helpful:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex/153716-bob-volman-price-action-scalping-82.html#post1988972

"To trade the 70 tick in a relaxed manner, I keep track of the current pressures, check for intermediate trends and possible retracement areas and then sort of eyeball the price action without putting too much strain on the mind in terms of analysis.

If prices arrive at a favorable location, I focus a little more and hope to see some nice buildup develop.

If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket, and I hit it again in the opposite direction if the trade falls through."

When I restarted this year I initially trade 3 pairs as well. But I found it difficult for me to keep track of pressure and "favorable locations" of three pairs. And I almost always lost in trading the Aussie so I dropped it. With 2 pairs I found it easier (for me) to focus. Also playing with the barrier levels, marking important swing highs/lows, draw fibs (40/50/60) help too.

Agree with PipMonster24 trading is boring. Volman style scalpers are like snipers. We wait patiently for the best opportunity and have to minimize the risk of backfire. I found this link helpful where you can compare a sniper's quality with that of a BV scalper:

http://www.centralvirginiatactical.com/CVT-sniper.htm

To fight boredom, focus, and remain relaxed, I found one of Bob's old emails accompanying his charts helpful:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/forex/153716-bob-volman-price-action-scalping-82.html#post1988972

"To trade the 70 tick in a relaxed manner, I keep track of the current pressures, check for intermediate trends and possible retracement areas and then sort of eyeball the price action without putting too much strain on the mind in terms of analysis.

If prices arrive at a favorable location, I focus a little more and hope to see some nice buildup develop.

If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket, and I hit it again in the opposite direction if the trade falls through."

When I restarted this year I initially trade 3 pairs as well. But I found it difficult for me to keep track of pressure and "favorable locations" of three pairs. And I almost always lost in trading the Aussie so I dropped it. With 2 pairs I found it easier (for me) to focus. Also playing with the barrier levels, marking important swing highs/lows, draw fibs (40/50/60) help too.
I found this statement interesting and intriguing: "If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket, and I hit it again in the opposite direction if the trade falls through." I mean, he does so all the time? Wouldn't it be sort of shooting from the hip? Does any of the BV's method followers does so in a recurrent way?

I found this statement interesting and intriguing: "If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket, and I hit it again in the opposite direction if the trade falls through." I mean, he does so all the time? Wouldn't it be sort of shooting from the hip? Does any of the BV's method followers does so in a recurrent way?

This is quoting out of context, ignoring all he said about pressure and favorable location. Yes, it is shooting from the hip if you ignore the pressure and unfavorable conditions.

This is quoting out of context, ignoring all he said about pressure and favorable location. Yes, it is shooting from the hip if you ignore the pressure and unfavorable conditions.

Not quite: if you read more carefully he says "If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket", meaning that he has already assessed the pressure, unfavorable conditions, etc. That's for his initial trade.
That's why I found his statement so interesting.

My interpretation of "if it looks good enough to trade" is that you don't have to wait around for the textbook setup to show up. By textbook I mean a range with no false or tease breaks making a non-debatable signal line, price action with spot on ceiling tests, and a squeeze that's picture perfect as well.

Not quite: if you read more carefully he says "If it looks good enough to trade I just hit the order ticket", meaning that he has already assessed the pressure, unfavorable conditions, etc. That's for his initial trade.
That's why I found his statement so interesting.

Then why do you think he's shooting from the hip if you understands his words? He's not.

Then why do you think he's shooting from the hip if you understands his words? He's not.
Dude...chill out! Don't take it personally, just read my post objectively and think. I do respect BV for his great book, so, as I said, I wonder why that comment. Could it be useful? Maybe.

Dude...chill out! Don't take it personally, just read my post objectively and think. I do respect BV for his great book, so, as I said, I wonder why that comment. Could it be useful? Maybe.

Sorry if I made you feel that way. I think PipMonster24 has explained it very well. There's always discretionary element since it's discretionary trading. So, when the pressure is in favor of the trade, no adverse magnet, no resistance to the left to block your target, you look at the setup quickly and make your decision. You don't do check list as mentioned in BV's book (though I have attempted to). In Bob's charts he frequently writes "a personal call".

Is it a valid RB?

Hi all,

I am learning to following Bob's method of scalping. Could you help me to check this setup. Do you think it is a valid set up for RB or ARB which you would trade? My concern for this setup is the block right below the setup and lunch time. Therefore, I did not trade it. Just want to listen from all of you who are following Bob's method.

Thank you!

V

Attachments

• ScreenHunter_139 Sep. 29 12.37.jpg
    ScreenHunter_139 Sep. 29 12.37.jpg
    105.2 KB · Views: 176
Hello,

I went short on a range break, it worked ok. It was my second trade of the day, the first was break even. The method seems to be working well for me, however I still need time to assess results. It certainly requires a lot of patience, and gets quite boring at times. It would be nice if the EUR/USD would move a bit more. If there is anyone around that has taken any setups it would be good for my study to see it.:)

Attachments

• cT_cs_3203977_EURUSD_2015-09-29_20-22-35.png
    cT_cs_3203977_EURUSD_2015-09-29_20-22-35.png
    33 KB · Views: 139
  • cT_cs_3203977_EURUSD_2015-09-29_20-37-04.png
    cT_cs_3203977_EURUSD_2015-09-29_20-37-04.png
    35.5 KB · Views: 169