Blair's legacy

Pat494

Legendary member
Now that he has nearly gone what is the general opinion of the man and his 10 years in office ?
On the plus side I would put
1. peace in Northern Ireland ( started by the Conservatives )
2. A reasonable economy ( again inherited from the Tories )
On the minus side
1. 5 wars including the iraq disaster
2. shedloads of money wasted on education ( should have at least asked parents and teachers )
3, shedloads wasted on NHS
4. Splitting up UK into 4 tiddley little states
5. Let in millions of immigrants
6. Couldn't say NO to the Yanks and their new Vietnam in Middle East

All in all a waste of time, money and lives
Lets hope B***N cow isn't even worse

pat

I think you've ignored some of the plusses in your minuses :cheesy:

For example, both education and the NHS were in desperate need of funding. The NHS, particularly, was being allowed to wither on the vine. The switch of resources to provide "shedloads of money" was a real plus imo, although I agree that the use of it has been poorly manged.

Overall, I think Blair showed terrific vision, but his government lacked the completer finishers necessary to bring that vision to reality.

jon

now that he longer has those irritating issues of state to worry about, he has the time to go help find those reclusive WMD.

The Blair government has left the UK in a MUCH worse state than in 1997. I don't know how anyone can seriously argue differently.

To name just a few massive failures -

Economy - Now millions of people have zero chance of ever owning a home, the UK is now firmly married to the EU.
NHS - just consider MRSA.
Education - just look at student loans.
Crime - just look at drug proliferation & the rise in knife & gun crime.

IMO the last 10 years have seen a major slide in the UK as a whole.

I will remember Blair for the million dead Iraqis.

Im waiting for a world leader who steps up with a complete peace approach to solving differences, to take that to some sort of world council for global peace problem resolutions .

lol, what planet am I on ?

:p

I just am not happy with the continued , even acceleration of force, as means of communicating. NO, nope,what if the entire global community, all of them ,spent their entire defence budgets every year on pursuing peace, huh ?

Tony, I'm sure has given his best. Cheers Tone.

Last edited:
This is my opinion..!...And I know people will have their own.....I have no desire for any drawn out debate....

Regardless of what anyone says good or bad about him, he has won three elections - fair and square.....Has won this on a Democratic system that has been in place for a long time......

I rate his tenure and his achievements higher than Tories before him.......Tories left many with negative equity in their homes.....Many families lost their homes in that time......Workers were used like slaves in small jobs with no right to a fair and minimum wage.....Tories used the Bank to control the economy at the times of election.....

Monetarist Policy controlled by Tories was a disaster.....Lamont..!!

I rate my last ten years with Blair as the most prosperous rather than the ten years before with Tories.....

Yes I agree the Iraq has been his worst legacy but then if anyone remembers, when there was a thread here on this site, most of you lot were all for war with Iraq and getting rid of Saddam....

I had said then that it will be a big mess.....And it has been....Just ask Moderators to bring that thread back...

Overall Tony has been the best Prime Minister of the modern times.

Last edited:
Reactions: ian
First saw him in 1995 and thought "too smooth" i.e. all style and no substance. Looks like I was right all along.

This quote I found most unsettling at the time:
"The kaleidoscope has been shaken," Blair said at a conference of the Labour Party in October 2001. "The pieces are in flux. Soon they will settle again. Before they do, let us re-order the world."

One of the first things Blair did was reduce the age of buggery. That was the heads up that we were all about to be buggered.

I think we should kidnap Sarkozy and put him in Number 10. The French have done well with him IMHO.

Premature. Very premature judgement... :rolleyes: What do you base this on - two days in office?

I remember the optimism and highs I felt when Blair got in. Don't ask me how I feel about him now.

All I remember is he spent a lot more time abroad in his first term in office than he did at home.

We are now fighting to keep Barking Hospital open in Redbridge (King Georges hospital closed several years before). Can't begin to imagine where all it's patients will go when it closes. Really can't. :cry: This is because we have had more money spent on NHS which was much better managed. :LOL: Yes I can clearly see the results so we don't need as many hospitals as before because the ones we do have are so much more efficient. Stupid or what? :mad:

You can't send your kids to the nearest school because they are full of clever gits from 10 miles outside the borough. League tables and targets are there to be manipulated. Not about learning anymore just learning how to pass exams. Universities don't believe that standards have risen nor do the business but hey Mr spin says otherwise. So you end up sending you children to a school 3 miles down the road instead of the one 200 yards on the otherside of the block.:eek:

The army is virtually up in revolt as many think they are fighting a losing war. Remember the general who spoke out. It was like as if a coup had just been orchestrated against parliament. He was shut up pretty quickly eh? What happened to his point and comments. Bet he got a good kicking in white hall. I can see politicians saying give me 5 minutes in darkened room with him. Those politicians... Savages they are... :cheesy:

The police are fighting a losing battle and are blamed for the terrorists that do get through. Remember, not a question of if but when? Ask Mr Bresident and he'll tell you we are now living in a much safer world than before because he did what he believed - hand on heart was right and he still holds this view. Somebody should put him in the white padded cell for 5 minutes so he finds his sanity.

Prisons are full and view on punishment is we are sending too many to prison let's be nice and stick a shiny ASBO label and tag their ankles and tell em to sit at home and play nicely. In turn these ASBO stickers are like recognition of talent and are considered to be rank status. They are selling on eBay - Buy a tag and have respect. :LOL: Do it the easy way without getting caught... :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: Crazy but true...

Private finance initiative is the best they can come up with for more investment. How to screw the tax payer for more whilst offering less services - which will be better managed so statisticians (the 'management') will tell us we are getting more value for money. Yeah right. :mad:

I saw my accountant last week. Mention G.Brown and IR and he puts his hands to his head and rubs his temples. All the controls and changes he says are not good at all. Too much meddling and changes that makes the system complicated. He didn't go into detail but I could see stress take a strangle hold on him. All I know is body language dont lie.

Two points I do agree on were good ideas brought in by Labour are...

1. Making the BoE independant
2. Minimum wage

Let's weigh it up... :eek: :rolleyes: Tough call. :cheesy:

Forgot to mention HIS mess over the House of Lords
They did a brilliant job sorting out the crap from the Commons and didn't even get paid !!
Now we are going to get lumbered with the PMs political brown nosers on vast salaries just when we thought we had got rid of the useless sods,

I suppose we will have to tug the ole forelock to Lord 2 Jags - that croquet playing ( in taxpayers time ) bonking ( in the taxpayers time ), buffoon,
Dear God - why does the great British public elect such people ??????????

Last edited:
Dear God - why does the great British public elect such people ??????????

Well i voted them in 1997, but never again since then or in the future.
In fact, i haven't voted since 1997.

Tories, Labour, Lib dems are identical, give or take an inch, on big policies such as marriage to the EU, NWO etc.
BNP are one of the few alternatives...perhaps this is why i don't vote!

Well i voted them in 1997, but never again since then or in the future.
In fact, i haven't voted since 1997.

Tories, Labour, Lib dems are identical, give or take an inch, on big policies such as marriage to the EU, NWO etc.
BNP are one of the few alternatives...perhaps this is why i don't vote!

I must confess I voted for Maggie and regretted it.

I also voted for Blair and now am really mixed up as to which I disliked more.

Last elections I voted for a rehabilitated alcoholic and he never got in. Not only that he got kicked out of his own party.

Talk about falling on your own sword :LOL: :LOL: :LOL: (I mean it's all my fault)

Next elections I'm just going to take Atilla for a walk and get him to **** on the ballot box. I'm becoming an anachist... :cheesy:

...Interesting article on following link.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4284006.stm

I insert a snippet on that link......

Asked who runs his world, Vijay Mallya said:

"I run my own world, because I very firmly believe that my destiny, my future is in my hands and I don't want to blame anybody else for the path that I take.
"And obviously I hope that everybody runs their own world, otherwise God help them."

Point of the storey is that some of us expect our Politicians to run the world according to our wishes and if not then they are bad Ploticians....

What I am saying is that if the Politicians can't do good then at least they should not do bad.....And must cater for ALL.......Not just for some influential or loud monirity...!!

And therfore the voting is the decider who wins.......Public are not stupid...!!

Last edited:
...Interesting article on following link.....

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/south_asia/4284006.stm

I insert a snippet on that link......

Asked who runs his world, Vijay Mallya said:

"I run my own world, because I very firmly believe that my destiny, my future is in my hands and I don't want to blame anybody else for the path that I take.
"And obviously I hope that everybody runs their own world, otherwise God help them."

Point of the storey is that some of us expect our Politicians to run the world according to our wishes and if not then they are bad Ploticians....

What I am saying is that if the Politicians can't do good then at least they should not do bad.....And must cater for ALL.......Not just for some influential or loud monirity...!!

And therfore the voting is the decider who wins.......Public are not stupid...!!

Bush and Blair defend war record

Talk about denial... Good grief...:(

How embarrasing is that to get onto a podium and defend such action :mad:

What's the climate change and global warming bit for. Bush and the US didn't even attend Kyota talks.

Makes you want to be physically sick, nauseating repugnant compulsive liars...:mad:

....Yes.....This is apparently New World Order.....

Get me...Old World Order any day....!!

....Yes.....This is apparently New World Order.....

Get me...Old World Order any day....!!

I think this is Old World Order - Iran called UK US bluff and won with the hostage crises. What's the point of sailing two aircraft carriers and increasing troop numbers and banging your war drums if you ain't gonna inflict some POW WOW.

US is now in talks with Iran over Iraq.

They are asking what will it take for you Iran to allow us to colonise Northern Iraq with Kirkuk and you can have Basra and Southern Iraq and we'll kick the **** out of the Sunnis and all live happilly ever after.

The stuff you read in the papers is fodder. Real stuff goes on behind diplomatic channels even.