Binary betting - FTSE / Dow

JITASH, re your post of 19-11-2003.

Your strategy on the Dow is sound. In the last couple of months, American traders seem compelled to respond to any positive economic news by piling into equities. The surge seems to happen most often in mid-afternoon - their time - and then falls back. There have been a lot of opportunities to make money using the strategy you describe. I hope, though, that you give consideration to selling when the low-range bet you bought has at least doubled in value, as the market falls back, and don't simply wait in the hope that it will reach your range before closing. As I see it, turning a profit consistently is more satisfying than 'winning' the bet.

Also, think about this strategy - when the DJ price has risen quickly to the 70/80 level you'll get a good price on the High Ranges for Wall St to finish up <100pts (or down) - and an even better price, of course, if the market has already risen above 100pts. If you're confident that the market will finish below100pts, then place a bet here. Over time, it will give you a better return than buying the 0-20 range and hoping that the market falls back far enough to give you a winning hit. This strategy, of course, works in the opposite direction, in a falling market.

Good luck

Last edited:
Does anyone know of another financial betting site similar to Binarybet (not spread or betting exchanges) where one can bet at fixed odds on the Daily FTSE being up or down on the day?
Any help would be appreciated,
Bernard.

Bernard said:
Does anyone know of another financial betting site similar to Binarybet (not spread or betting exchanges) where one can bet at fixed odds on the Daily FTSE being up or down on the day?
Any help would be appreciated,
Bernard.

try ladbrokes.com it has a pretty neat platform

Robertral said:
please explain? I'm not too familar with fixed odds terminology....and how u arrived at that figure

I've sometimes seen 1.07 on one way and 4 on the other

1/1.07 + 1/4 = 1.18 (18% overround)

BlueSq(107% o/r) and Paddy Power (109% o/r) also offer fixed odds on daily financial indices.

13-15% is a typical overround for Ladbrokes 5-minute FTSE bets, (a 14% overround in probability equates to a 12.3% theoretical hold by the bookmaker)

Another site you might be interested in, is binexx.com. They dont have as many markets as IG, but they do the FTSE and Wall Street,

Laconic said:
BlueSq(107% o/r) and Paddy Power (109% o/r) also offer fixed odds on daily financial indices.

13-15% is a typical overround for Ladbrokes 5-minute FTSE bets, (a 14% overround in probability equates to a 12.3% theoretical hold by the bookmaker)

Who else makes 5-min markets?

Laconic said:

what's the maths behind 14% o/r equating to 12.3% theoretical hold?

Who else makes 5-min markets?

I'm not aware of anyone other than Ladbrokes offering 5min index bets. I believe they developed the platform with Cantor so presumably they too could offer them if they decided to.

what's the maths behind 14% o/r equating to 12.3% theoretical hold?

(14 / 114) * 100

Daily FTSE.

Robertral said:
try ladbrokes.com it has a pretty neat platform
Many thanks for the info. It does look interesting, I will give it a try.
Thanks again, Bernard.

To all:

I've been SB with capital Spreads for nearly three years now and I've had my ups and downs, but during the last 9 months I've turned a corner, as it were. I bet the FTSE in general and I like to add by how much it will rise or fall. Very bold of me, but hay ho.

My question is, is there any web site / company out there in the big WWW abis that allows betting on how much the FTSE will rise/fall, ie: 10, 20, 50pts etc. I think they call it 'Spot Trading.' You win if it hits your prediction in a set time frame and lose if it doesn't, but without the option of marginal winning/loosing, ie: if you bet the FTSE will rise/hit 25pts and it hits 20pts you still gain.

Any comments are appreciated.

Yours

UK

ukhero said:
To all:

I've been SB with capital Spreads for nearly three years now and I've had my ups and downs, but during the last 9 months I've turned a corner, as it were. I bet the FTSE in general and I like to add by how much it will rise or fall. Very bold of me, but hay ho.

My question is, is there any web site / company out there in the big WWW abis that allows betting on how much the FTSE will rise/fall, ie: 10, 20, 50pts etc. I think they call it 'Spot Trading.' You win if it hits your prediction in a set time frame and lose if it doesn't, but without the option of marginal winning/loosing, ie: if you bet the FTSE will rise/hit 25pts and it hits 20pts you still gain.

Any comments are appreciated.

Yours

UK

It's not called spot trading....
Binarybet, IG, cantors all do these kinds of bets

Robertral said:
It's not called spot trading....
Binarybet, IG, cantors all do these kinds of bets

Thanks also to Robert,

plenty there to keep me going for a while.

UK

Scripophilist said:
Guys, I've checked the binary bet site and registered. The problem you have here is they are always overround by 5%.

You can't win in the long term, They are selling you a 100% probability at 95%. No matter how clever you are they are "Cheating" you!

Cheating you is the wrong word really but imagine the market price of a stock being 100p. You can buy it in the open market at that price but if you want you can go binary and buy it for 105p.

The only thing I can see these useful as are hedging mechanisms. But you will still "Pay" a 5% commision on each trade effectively.

These are good money earners for IG et al...

They can hedge quickly in the underlying market also.

I've found a way to make money from them, but it involves passing off the risk to somebody else and hedging in the open market.

Check out http://www.probabilitytheory.info if you want to qualify my comments on binary bets.

I have been using binary bet for quite some and am really intrested in your theory about winning agains binary bet could you please advise me at all
Rav-my email is [email protected]....I would like some guidance thanks