Binary betting - FTSE / Dow

scripophilist is completely wrong on this one:

1) The formula for calculating binary bets is based on volatility, which is impossible to calculate exactly

2) I've made a decent profit from binarybet by predicting the market direction using technical analysis and some other methods

The 5% overround just means that across all punters they will have made money, that is unless all their punters are experienced traders...

jules101 said:
scripophilist is completely wrong on this one:

1) The formula for calculating binary bets is based on volatility, which is impossible to calculate exactly

2) I've made a decent profit from binarybet by predicting the market direction using technical analysis and some other methods

The 5% overround just means that across all punters they will have made money, that is unless all their punters are experienced traders...

There you go a lil bit of hope at last...for binary traders..
I do agree you can book profit against binary bet and somedays you can make a lot of money and I mean a lot....

rav700 said:
There you go a lil bit of hope at last...for binary traders..
I do agree you can book profit against binary bet and somedays you can make a lot of money and I mean a lot....
Rav if you don't mind me asking what do you call a lot of money? Just curious to know what a fellow binary bet client is doing thats all. PM me if you do not wish to post here to swap tactics/methods etc etc. Thank You.

The trouble with Bins

I feel that the main problem with bins is that the firms cannot lay them off as they can with SB (if they choose to). Their systems rely on a steady stream on losing punter. Let's face it, the losers eventually leave but the winners stay. Therefore, one way to increase profits is to get rid of winning punters or make it very difficult to make a bet.

I gather that:
a) IG have long delays, manual intervention and rejections if the market moves
b) Fins use a range of techniques from delays in giving a quote all the way to refusing to quote. They also reject trades near expiry if the market moves.
c) Cantors are perm manual for all punter I believe
d) Binex appear to be okay but have poor liquidity.

New punters should realise that if they are winners it is a limited opportunity, at least making momentum trades. Make the most of it, hit them, make your money and run. If delays are introduced that make you start losing, then modify your technique or stop trading.

IG's rejected bets are very annoying at times.

Binexx are an exchange so they can't limit you for a winning streak, but you are right they do have very poor liquidity and it doesn't look like it's gonna pick up any time soon. All the prices on binexx are quoted by a market maker, and have a fairly wide spread.

Well Binex are an exchange in name only, and since 99% of trades are against their market makers they could choose to delay users when trades are going to be matched against their them.

Any news on when Fins are going to expand their Bins?

jules101 said:
IG's rejected bets are very annoying at times.

Binexx are an exchange so they can't limit you for a winning streak, but you are right they do have very poor liquidity and it doesn't look like it's gonna pick up any time soon. All the prices on binexx are quoted by a market maker, and have a fairly wide spread.

Who offer the following fixed odds bets;
No touch,one touch, barrier range,... on stock indices (S&P, FTSE,...) ??

I know BetonMarket, Refcofx (only for currencies unfortunately) but Iam looking a a serious company like Refco to bets on stock indices barriers

Bintrader said:
Well Binex are an exchange in name only, and since 99% of trades are against their market makers they could choose to delay users when trades are going to be matched against their them.

Any news on when Fins are going to expand their Bins?

parisd said:

I know BetonMarket, Refcofx (only for currencies unfortunately) but Iam looking a a serious company like Refco to bets on stock indices barriers

Have you had a look at Ig index and binary bet .com or not????

I have lost a lot of money with these companies because the market is too fast moving....
Please take care and risk management is very important....

Happy trading rav

If a contract trades between 0 and 100, and it can only expire at 0 or 100, then you know that it either expire at 0 or 100.

You know where is the bottom, and you know where is the top, and you know where is the worst: neither here nor there. You can buy and you can sell.

If you buy something at 1000 and sell it at 1100, you make 100. If you buy something at 100 and sell it at 200, you make 100. 100 is 100. But if you buy at 1000 you risk 1000.

When you can know the time to expiry, the underlying index, the strike, you can gauge how far it is to finishing line, how much time is left, whether it is probable that it can move by a certain amount within that given time.

If we define an event as:

Weekly: both contract-1 AND contract-2 end Up. If we observe that the probability of that happening is about 0.9. Then we can take a 1:9 Reward-to-Risk.

Although personally I hesitate to risk 9 for a 1 reward.

And the same contracts for:

Daily: both contract-1 AND contract-2 end up, I see the probability as 0.7, much lower than the Weekly scenario.

Once or twice a month the Weekly scenario presents a 2:8 Reward-to-Risk opportunity.

Intrade and Binexx can be used to execute many strategies.

Last edited:
how many trade to expiry, I would like to know. Seems IG have a minimum of £2 a point on bins, so I'll open an account at binarybets, and see if I can makes sense of it. I like the pricing, so long as the trade is instant-if it's not, they are cheating and in the world of bookies that should mean having their own beamers driven through the shop window! Of course all spreadbet companies are Arthur Daleys, but only a few make money out of bins,so it seems to be a more level playing field.
PS Never try and day trade ftse with a spreadbet allowing only a stop of 12 ticks- forget the tax, go with IB.

parisd said:

Try:

http://www.worldspreads100.com/

yours

UK

just wondering
Does the binary ever open at a 20-30 range if the market trend is up and the previous day closed down?
Is there great occurence of the binary betting range opening at this?

Thanks

thanks for the reply,
but wanted to know if anyone had observed the binary bet open in 20-30 range
when the market was in an uptrend.
This on on the daily market finish up binary bet, mainly on the FTSE and DOW

is that common that in the last 1 minute of the 20 minute FTSE binary betting; the market gets closed ..?

Thought I'd start a fresh thread for those of us who wish to discuss Binary betting the indices.

Had another good week, however I have identified a worrying trend in my trading. Last 3 weeks I have been up all days, except Fridays. Perhaps I should work just a 4 day week!

Nice one!

I wish I could trade FTSE on CityOdds (CityOdds Fixed Odds Financial Betting and Trading - Fantasy Leagues and Real Money Betting) but they say its coming soon... fingers crossed. Its good for the S&P 500 - better prices than IG Index.

Nice one!

I wish I could trade FTSE on CityOdds (CityOdds Fixed Odds Financial Betting and Trading - Fantasy Leagues and Real Money Betting) but they say its coming soon... fingers crossed. Its good for the S&P 500 - better prices than IG Index.

MikeT2W,

I am sure I am not the only reader of this board who is starting to find your constant promotion of your own website a bit tiresome. Why not just change your name to Mike CityOdds or whatever and write a simple post explaining what you offer, instead of pretending to be a customer. Nobody is fooled by the latter, it just makes you look ridiculous and I would imagine makes people less likely to take your offering seriously. It probably also breaks the rules of this board regarding spam, I would think.

Reactions: tar