Big Ben on the FTSE100

Nice start to the week.

Bartlby's post above suggests the possibility of some more research - where a losing trade was taken and stopped out, what would be best response? - reverse immediately? take the opposing BB trade? trade if pivot breached in opposite direction? Ciould be worth looking at.

If ever you're concerned that SB can't make you money or you might find your account closed if it does, have a look at these encouraging role models (one of whom I know a little).

Should there be a link on here tomorton?

Doylen - you were looking for a SB company with trailing stops - I've been looking at Smart Live Markets who offer spread betting using MetaTrader4. I believe it allows you to trail a stop. You can open a demo account to play around with it which is what I've done - just got to find the time to learn how to use it as it seems much more sophisticated than the platforms offered by the most SB companies.

Doylen - you were looking for a SB company with trailing stops - I've been looking at Smart Live Markets who offer spread betting using MetaTrader4. I believe it allows you to trail a stop. You can open a demo account to play around with it which is what I've done - just got to find the time to learn how to use it as it seems much more sophisticated than the platforms offered by the most SB companies.

I have an account with SLM Bartlby. You can trail SL with MT4, and overall MT4 is pretty good - lots of scope for programming new features.

Watch out for SLM though - they're quite new and seemt to have been suffering problems with their data feeds and platform, in the form of hanging or delays. I experience this every morning at the moment. Also they seem to absolve themselves of all responsibility for any EA programs you run on MT4, even though they are providing the MT4 platform. I still have my account with them, but am seriously thinking of moving it.

Check the SLM thread for more history:
http://www.trade2win.com/boards/spread-betting/93212-smart-live-markets-spread-bet-mt4.html

Last edited:
Thanks for that - I liked the look of Metatrader4 which is what led me to SLM. I had a look at the thread - seems mixed. I'm using capital spreads and have problems with the data feed - sometimes I lose my charts and have to refresh my browser to get things back - I'm not sure how much of that is to do with my internet connection though.

Hi Bartlby - I use Caps daily on both landline and Three mobile broadband - never had either cause any connection issues.

In that case its probably my internet connection - I'm quite a way from the exchange and its can be tempremental.

Big Ben came within a point of its target and has now fallen back - very frustrating.

hmmm, looking at the figures its another day where I wouldn't have been stopped out on capital spreads, maybe time for a change...

Todays trade - Long at 5927, stop at 5913.7, limit at 5949.4. Don't feel very confident about this one.

I was entered short at 1153 and price is almost at b/e. This is a late entry for BB orders set at 0900 and I can't remember the last time I had a position still open at lunchtime. the chart looks negative, I am well up for the month and am also a little curious so am leaving this open, at least to the London Close.

hey guys sorry haven't been on in ages. will read back through any posts. Yesterday just missed my limit by 1 then retreated to my stop, today again missed my limit by 2 and retreated. I got out of it once it had retreated away for minor profit of 4. Up 6 this week - not exactly stellar!