Best RSI parameter (or other indicator) for 5 day hold

Brennen81

Hello,

I am putting together a quant strategy for a 1-week hold/trade and am thinking of adding historical RSI values to narrow my results. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the parameters to use in this case? Perhaps, would it be wise to use the 5 period (daily bars) to match the holding time?

I am asking for RSI because I know I can acquire those values for 10 years +. If anyone has a better indicator recommendation for a 1-week trade, I would love to hear.

1-week meaning 5-day or 4 with a holiday.

Thanks for all everyone.

Home Made Software

Use Average Open/Close crossover to hold to after selecting Low RSI to carry to maximum profit

CajunFarmer

Attachments

• OCX.png
    OCX.png
    94.2 KB · Views: 393
Hello,

I am putting together a quant strategy for a 1-week hold/trade and am thinking of adding historical RSI values to narrow my results. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the parameters to use in this case? Perhaps, would it be wise to use the 5 period (daily bars) to match the holding time?

I am asking for RSI because I know I can acquire those values for 10 years +. If anyone has a better indicator recommendation for a 1-week trade, I would love to hear.

Thanks for all everyone.

RSI(2) has tested well for me on Portfolio123.com weekly rebalancing (using opening prices following the weekend)...

For example, using the DJIA stocks gives a CAGR of 21.6% from 1999 to today, versus 6.1% for B&H on SPY. Average holding is 3.7 stocks with 64% turnover. The only rules I used are:

Universe(DJIA)
RSI(2)<=10

Using 20 as the trigger has about the same CAGR but with about double the held stocks.

Using above 90 as the trigger gives a CAGR of -7.1%.

Changing the under 10 trigger with a universe of the S&P 500 stocks gives a CAGR of 17%, with 85% turnover averaging 60 stocks. A lot of churning. :(

Do yourself a favor and save a lot of time by ignoring indicators that calculate fancy lines based on 5 inputs you can already see on the chart yourself.

If you are unable to read a chart by itself and rely on indicators, then you are simply consuming a processed mathematical formula that has been massaged to fit your needs; kind of like pre-chewed food. Don't do it and put some effort into your education; don't get spoon fed all your trading career or you will never be able to analyse anything on your own.

Doesn't matter if it's automated or not; it won't work.

I prefer CCI over RSI

Hello,

Thanks for all everyone.

Hi.

I prefer CCI over RSI. You might try CCI for your strategy.

Hello,

Thanks for all everyone.

Your best indicator is PRICE

Your 2nd best Indicator is your bank balance

Your 3rd best indicator is your mistress