Best RSI parameter (or other indicator) for 5 day hold

• Welcome to the newest version of Trade2Win! We're running on the latest version of, what we consider to be, the best forum software available today. Our aim was to keep things as familiar as possible but focus on improving speed, security and usability. We hope you like the result! Please post your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback in the What's New and Feedback Thread - Sharky.
Feb 20, 2013
Hello,

I am putting together a quant strategy for a 1-week hold/trade and am thinking of adding historical RSI values to narrow my results. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the parameters to use in this case? Perhaps, would it be wise to use the 5 period (daily bars) to match the holding time?

I am asking for RSI because I know I can acquire those values for 10 years +. If anyone has a better indicator recommendation for a 1-week trade, I would love to hear.

1-week meaning 5-day or 4 with a holiday.

Thanks for all everyone.

Oct 28, 2005
Minnesota
Hello,

I am putting together a quant strategy for a 1-week hold/trade and am thinking of adding historical RSI values to narrow my results. I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on the parameters to use in this case? Perhaps, would it be wise to use the 5 period (daily bars) to match the holding time?

I am asking for RSI because I know I can acquire those values for 10 years +. If anyone has a better indicator recommendation for a 1-week trade, I would love to hear.

Thanks for all everyone.
RSI(2) has tested well for me on Portfolio123.com weekly rebalancing (using opening prices following the weekend)...

For example, using the DJIA stocks gives a CAGR of 21.6% from 1999 to today, versus 6.1% for B&H on SPY. Average holding is 3.7 stocks with 64% turnover. The only rules I used are:

Universe(DJIA)
RSI(2)<=10

Using 20 as the trigger has about the same CAGR but with about double the held stocks.

Using above 90 as the trigger gives a CAGR of -7.1%.

Changing the under 10 trigger with a universe of the S&P 500 stocks gives a CAGR of 17%, with 85% turnover averaging 60 stocks. A lot of churning. :(

Aug 22, 2014
Do yourself a favor and save a lot of time by ignoring indicators that calculate fancy lines based on 5 inputs you can already see on the chart yourself.

If you are unable to read a chart by itself and rely on indicators, then you are simply consuming a processed mathematical formula that has been massaged to fit your needs; kind of like pre-chewed food. Don't do it and put some effort into your education; don't get spoon fed all your trading career or you will never be able to analyse anything on your own.

Doesn't matter if it's automated or not; it won't work.

davewin

Jun 12, 2018
I prefer CCI over RSI

Hello,

Thanks for all everyone.
Hi.

I prefer CCI over RSI. You might try CCI for your strategy.