Best Laptop Screeen Resoultion

Jdax

Hi - I'm looking to replace my 15.4" Laptop with a 17" because my current Laptop has a pretty poor display - matt finish, resolution 1280 X 800 and runs slowly.

I think I can 'handle' the issues re broadband speed, Proccessor, dedicated graphics etc.

My problem is in deciding the best resolution for displaying charts
1440 X 900, 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 ?.

I actually prefer standard aspect ratio rather than widescreen but it seems almost impossible to find any standard screens these days.

Can anyone help ?.

Well, to see as much as possible, resolution should be - as big as possible. 1920x1200 is what I would go for ;)

1920 X 1200 on Sony Vaio X Black dual lamp screen with gloss finish is probably the finest.....

Last edited:
Thanks for your help - I'll aim for 1920 x 1200 resolution. I also want at least 2.0 Ghz, 256 dedicated Graphics and 'N' wireless and maybe 3Mb Ram and 7200 rpm hard drive.....

Googling the sony Vaio X Black throws up a multitude of sites - found one but it was 1440 X 900.
I may visit the 'shop' in Tottenham Ct. rd.
because it's difficult finding all my requirements I may need to customise anything i buy which unfortunately only leaves the likes of Dell ot Tradingcomputers (good but expensive).

Jim

...in tottenham go to Sony Galleria.....

....avoid dells...used to buy dells but lately I am not impressed with the build quality...

Hi - I'm looking to replace my 15.4" Laptop with a 17" because my current Laptop has a pretty poor display - matt finish, resolution 1280 X 800 and runs slowly.

I think I can 'handle' the issues re broadband speed, Proccessor, dedicated graphics etc.

My problem is in deciding the best resolution for displaying charts
1440 X 900, 1680 X 1050 or 1920 X 1200 ?.

I actually prefer standard aspect ratio rather than widescreen but it seems almost impossible to find any standard screens these days.

Can anyone help ?.

These are MAX resolutions meaning that depending on your graphics card capability you can set your display with a lower resolution up to and including the above. To get the answer you want you would need to find out the native resolution of the application you are using. ie/ find out the resolution the original programmers designed it for or recommend. In reality, 'best' is a subjective issue that nobody but you can answer.

These are MAX resolutions meaning that depending on your graphics card capability you can set your display with a lower resolution up to and including the above. To get the answer you want you would need to find out the native resolution of the application you are using. ie/ find out the resolution the original programmers designed it for or recommend. In reality, 'best' is a subjective issue that nobody but you can answer.

Properly designed and implemented GUIs should work equally well over a range of screen resolutions. There should be no such thing as an application's "native resolution". If you have to change your screen resolution to make an application work, then find some other software.

LCD screens should always be run at their native resolution. If not, things like font rendering and and anti-aliasing will be a real mess.

In reply to the OP, the more pixels the better. Aspect ratio also a consideration.

Properly designed and implemented GUIs should work equally well over a range of screen resolutions. There should be no such thing as an application's "native resolution". If you have to change your screen resolution to make an application work, then find some other software.

LCD screens should always be run at their native resolution. If not, things like font rendering and and anti-aliasing will be a real mess.

In reply to the OP, the more pixels the better. Aspect ratio also a consideration.

I am not saying that they shouldn't. I am saying that some software designers give recommendations for screen settings, like some web designers do. Like I said earlier, these issues are generally subjective and not worthy of discussion. That part about LCD screens is spurious.

Zambuck – will check out Sony in Totenham Ct. rd. soon………… Re Dells – I guess it’s a bit hit and miss. I think you can get a high Spec from them ( eg. Dell Vostro 17” WUXGA with the other bits I need for about £950) but I guess you get what you pay for.……

Mayfly – thanks for the sites - have had a look at these sites but they’re a bit pricy for me. I’m looking in the range of £900 - £1150 range. BTW - I have a desktop + extended monitor so the Laptop won’t be my main machine.

Dcraig1 – I’d like the ‘standard’ Aspect ratio but I don’t think it’s possible to find one these days unless it’s an old lower spec.