Beginners and seminars/coaches

So it took more than a few weeks to master the art of trading did it Disney?

You're starting to contradict yourself a bit. Last week you laughed at me when I said it takes time........

No Anley - last week I laughed at you because you said it took a year to learn how to trade Fibonacci retracements.

What? You mean it takes more than a week to learn to trade?

It's so disheartening.(n)

I was under the impression I could do it over weekend - learn how to be a consistently profitable trader.

She has not soloed yet. But we now review the trades together and she participate in the management review process. We agreed that when we return from our holiday visit to our Granddaughter (and her mother and father) we are opening up an account for her to trade small money as her solo experience.

Between spouses, these things take longer than I wish. I suspect she would offer more oversight if I were not successful at it.

It's great that you have someone close to you who is into trading. It will help with bouncing ideas off her to improve your own trading. :)

That is one aspect of talking to newbies I like. As I'm writing things, I'm questioning my own beliefs and experiences.

Feeling a bit anal today are we ?

Maybe better if you made the thread multiple choice, then we could adhere strictly to replies you feel are acceptable. :whistling

It's not being anal. I asked a question. You've replied with something vaguely related but not answering the question.

But you are more than welcome to participate in this thread. :D

Last edited:
I did a trend following course and think it might just have been a waste of money, might as well have wasted it spread betting limited risk.
Suppose learned from it though, not to waste money on others ideas.
And just learn it through doing it.

Last edited:
That is true - but didn't most fail?

Probably, think a couple did well though, don't really follow them, just stuff have picked up from reading.
Maybe the system was absorbed by the market, Mr Ekhardt still does ok doesn't he?
In response to the original intentions of the thread though, yeah screen time and homework is a definite requirement in my opinion.
Depends on the thoroughness of the teaching too, if you can totally re-wire someone then maybe it's possible, psychology, philosophy and all that!

Last edited:
That is true - but didn't most fail?

No i think the success rate was higher than 50% for the turtles that started.
But 99% of the applicants failed to become turtles, either rejected at CV stage or at interview.

They had team support and defined rules. And had to turn up to the office every day so it was more a prop firm.

If Dennis had given his 2 week training to the turtles and they all went home to trade the rules with their own money im sure the success rate would have been lower than 50%.

It's not being anal. I asked a question. You've replied with something vaguely related but not answering the question.

But you are more than welcome to participate in this thread. :D

I already answered the question - I know of not 1 single person.

Do I have to stop playing now ?

Some of the Turtles did alright

The turtles weren't retail traders though. They were trained by professionals, went to work at a firm every day, had capital available and had experienced people around them.

This is quite different from what your average retail traders faces.

No Anley - last week I laughed at you because you said it took a year to learn how to trade Fibonacci retracements.

And it does, because it's not about Fib, it's about indicators, learning to use them, gaining the necessary experience of when to trust them and when not to. And on and on.

But like I said, if you think you can learn to trade properly using a new set of indicators in a few weeks and then be able to compete for the same profits as people who've taken years to learn and perfect their craft, then many market participants would love you to start risking your capital in the same markets they're playing in...............

And it does, because it's not about Fib, it's about indicators, learning to use them, gaining the necessary experience of when to trust them and when not to. And on and on.

But like I said, if you think you can learn to trade properly using a new set of indicators in a few weeks and then be able to compete for the same profits as people who've taken years to learn and perfect their craft, then many market participants would love you to start risking your capital in the same markets they're playing in...............

If you think you can ever use a set of indicators to compete with those participants, then you are quite mad.

I presume you are 11 months along and still enthusiastic !

All trading trainers are failed traders’ according to one of the posters (from that old thread)

Maybe a strong opinion, but why should a good trader waste time on training instead of making millions from trading. A good question to ask yourself before enrolling.

Because some good traders can't make millions.

Maybe a strong opinion, but why should a good trader waste time on training instead of making millions from trading. A good question to ask yourself before enrolling.

For the same reasons (good and bad) the rich and not so rich people are philanthropists.

Some more quotes from the old thread (Stevet's posts)

‘why would you want to spend a day of your life training someone when you can be trading yourself and using the skill that is so hard to come by and so gratifying when you do it on all levels’

‘when someone is paying you - would you tell them it was a waste of time for them to pay you to train them - a moral dilemma and a good way to go bankrupt as a trainer’

‘and trainers will have a million reasons why it makes sense for them to train you and why they do it - but the reality is that that is how they make their money - not from real trading’

'there is just so much technical stuff and technical jargon in trading that someone is always going to feel they got value from training - but unfortunately making a profit year in year out to support a lifestyle maybe different from a few technical points about markets - and I stress the danger is that you are going to pick up a style from the trainer which is why the trainer did not succeed at trading'

Please note - no offence intended to the trainers. I have no experience whatsoever in using training services, only happened to like the old posts.:)