Barclays?????

Money for old rope.........

well its looking a bit shakey shakey .. but holding I reckon (just)

......... if you prep for the comeback wave...
barc made multi year lows this week ....... but I'd like to see nearer 300p than this :LOL:

As we know banks aren't going to vanish so it remains a waiting game for us vultures :cheesy:

I think bear lows were 311 or thereabouts in last bear market - then they doubled!!!!!

there's a bit more...
395/397 is half the all time highs - often significant line in the sand. We have not really ripped it out yet so whilst I'd like to see nearer 300 for long term upwave ..... that move down might be postponed.... I'm not good on short term stuff here so I defer to Fibo (audere et...) & James Bond :LOL:

As it happens Royal Bank is near 10year lows ......... and roughly 1/3 of its all time highs...
Anthony Bolton (legendary fund manager) recently mentioned he increasingly favours financials over commodity stox...

Trading is one thing but It's difficult to see how "investors" cannot make a bundle in bank stox. In the next upwave they should double easily. Patience should be rewarded.

Edit : let me make that rise by over 50% getting a bit carried away for a minute

Last edited:
there's a bit more...
395/397 is half the all time highs - often significant line in the sand. We have not really ripped it out yet so whilst I'd like to see nearer 300 for long term upwave ..... that move down might be postponed.... I'm not good on short term stuff here so I defer to Fibo (audere et...) & James Bond :LOL:

As it happens Royal Bank is near 10year lows ......... and roughly 1/3 of its all time highs...
Anthony Bolton (legendary fund manager) recently mentioned he increasingly favours financials over commodity stox...

Trading is one thing but It's difficult to see how "investors" cannot make a bundle in bank stox. In the next upwave they should double easily. Patience should be rewarded.

Edit : let me make that rise by over 50% getting a bit carried away for a minute

Good food for thought there. If Barc doesn't show any gain today then it's time to get out and wait. :)

Lloyds also looking very interesting, at the same price as Barclays at the mo. Major support being the March 2003 low at around the 290 area

yeah... my stop got hit as things got a bit choppy toward the end of last week... but that ok.. as I was testing my system... so better to find out how I was calculating the loss anyway..

For what its worth...
I reckon we are in VERY difficult circumstances for Banks as we have not really found out how the UK subprime mortgage market is going to fare in the next 18 / 24 months... I this a theory that the UK banks are going to have to write down more losses due to "dodgy" UK mortgages like the "self Cert" crowd etc... unless the UK lenders have packaged them up and sold the debt to some other unlucky sods... ;-] I am still watchin Barclays...

With my investor Hat on I would say that Hook Shot might well be right,,, it seems that there are some tasty treats on the table for the long termer's amongst us... the sector as a whole is looking bruised and battered... BUT.. looking a B & B just this morning and "The ROCK" "BEAR" etc etc it will be a case of skilled picking to get the winners.. as I feel there will be more "blood" spilled over the next couple of years...

there's a bit more...

If the 50% level is breached then the 75% level becomes the next target according to WD Gann. I personally wouldn't want to short in an area of historic support. Until 300 is convincingly breached, there are better shorting alternatives like B&B, HBOS and A&L after a retrace.

Attachments

• Barclays plc Monthly 1987-2008.JPG
    Barclays plc Monthly 1987-2008.JPG
    114.5 KB · Views: 251
  • Barclays plc Monthly 1987-2008 log.JPG
    Barclays plc Monthly 1987-2008 log.JPG
    113.9 KB · Views: 238
Last edited:
Well well what a week(n)

Very close now to a major support area, week closed at 337, after this DOW collapsed even further, a lot further.

Looking to BUY on Mondays opening at a rock bottom price, only thing that worries me is the prospect of a rights issue, which will send the price even lower.

But I think I will take the chance and if the price goes lower and a rights issue is put in place I will just ride it out(y)

Right. Here's my take on UK Bank Stocks.

BUY, slowly at first then when it reaches lower lows, BUY like theres no tommorrow.

Reason: Banks like Barclays, RBS, Lloyds are very soon going to be takeover targets (rather "brands")
by oil rich middle east businesses.

Well Im in on Barclays today priced at 323.

I know this may well not be the bottom just yet, but Im willing to buy at this price and wait it out if need be.

Down around 10% for the week to date and gaps down to new lows this morning...
I'm looking for a reversal day this week.... but 300 should produce "something" ??

well all... it was a bloody good job I stopped out tight to my entry of 388 thats all I can say... i do think there is going to be a reversal... but be honest i have no idea when at the moment..

I still have this feeling that the UK banks might well turn out to be worse off than the US because they appear to have more exposure to both housing markets.. and the UK housing markets are only now showing signs of the real problems we all suspected. Added the "rights issue" hanging over Barclays ... I think we might break well below the 300...

I should have shorted ;-]

bE THANKFUL

well all... it was a bloody good job I stopped out tight to my entry of 388 thats all I can say... i do think there is going to be a reversal... but be honest i have no idea when at the moment..

I still have this feeling that the UK banks might well turn out to be worse off than the US because they appear to have more exposure to both housing markets.. and the UK housing markets are only now showing signs of the real problems we all suspected. Added the "rights issue" hanging over Barclays ... I think we might break well below the 300...

I should have shorted ;-]

.....you're not a barratt's shareholder.......... were down 35%+ at one stage today after massive bear already....... was that some sort of capitultion or will it go bust ...it's now a penny stock having lost over 95% of its value off the highs!!!!!

Banks and Housing coming to daddy .still :LOL:

.....you're not a barratt's shareholder.......... were down 35%+ at one stage today after massive bear already....... was that some sort of capitultion or will it go bust ...it's now a penny stock having lost over 95% of its value off the highs!!!!!

Banks and Housing coming to daddy .still :LOL:

:LOL:
I am not a UK house building FAN... (and certainly no a shareholder)

I can see why people are dumping the house builders as they have no short term future in the UK... the housing building market seems to be flirting will all out collapse...

I even sold my own house recently as i think the UK housing market is about to fall off the cliff... My real concern is for the Banks... but again the bottom is a difficult call...

My current thinking is to wait and see for a while.. I think most brits are only coming out of the delusion at the moment and were thinking that all these problems are US centric... but Barclays is looking good for a long termer.. (but people said that about Northern Rock)

:LOL:
I am not a UK house building FAN... (and certainly no a shareholder)

I can see why people are dumping the house builders as they have no short term future in the UK... the housing building market seems to be flirting will all out collapse...

I even sold my own house recently as i think the UK housing market is about to fall off the cliff... My real concern is for the Banks... but again the bottom is a difficult call...

My current thinking is to wait and see for a while.. I think most brits are only coming out of the delusion at the moment and were thinking that all these problems are US centric... but Barclays is looking good for a long termer.. (but people said that about Northern Rock)

I remember noticing one year that a large proportion (at least 35%) of the Times Rich list made their money from financial services and or real estate.......... thinking big wave rather than day to day it would be surprising if those sectors did not work their magic again in the future.....

I'm teaching my nephew about how he should invest in the stock market.... by focusing on "vital" sectors and playing the cycle.....buy low sell high ....he's got time on his side .... he's only eight ...so he can wait! :p

I remember noticing one year that a large proportion (at least 35%) of the Times Rich list made their money from financial services and or real estate.......... thinking big wave rather than day to day it would be surprising if those sectors did not work their magic again in the future.....

I'm teaching my nephew about how he should invest in the stock market.... by focusing on "vital" sectors and playing the cycle.....buy low sell high ....he's got time on his side .... he's only eight ...so he can wait! :p

Excellent... my daughter is 8... I have been thinking about teaching her about trading / investing... cant start them too early eh...

As for the Property market.. I do see that in time there will be some kind of a recovery.. but we are Way so early in the UK for that... I have considered the USA as a good medium term investement in property mainly because the dollar is so low at the moment.. but I will wait at least another year... :clover:

I am not touching it without my asbestos gloves on... I am gonna wait until the full years earning.s are out...