Backtesting the Dow with CMC MarketMaker

• Welcome to the newest version of Trade2Win! We're running on the latest version of, what we consider to be, the best forum software available today. Our aim was to keep things as familiar as possible but focus on improving speed, security and usability. We hope you like the result! Please post your questions, comments, suggestions and feedback in the What's New and Feedback Thread - Sharky.
Jan 28, 2007
Hi

I have recently developed a system which I would like to backtest for intraday trading of the Dow. The details of my system are located in my journal, but I will summarise here.

The system enters on confirmed DEMA crossovers. Confirmation is S/R levels or prolonged indicator divergence.

I would like some guidance on how to automatically backtest this. For money management, assume a static contract size. I would like to backtest with CMC MarketMaker if possible, so assistance directed to that platform would be helpful. I would be happy to hear of any alternative backtesting programs (with accompanying free intraday YM data) which are free, open source, or very low cost.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm still trying to get my head around CMC MM backtesting.

Thanks in advance.

~LL

the blades

Aug 21, 2004
Sheffield
Hello LL,

From memory, I believe their backtester is just a tie up with prorealtime. If you go to their site, you may find more help.

Cheers,
UTB

jm99

Dec 15, 2004
Brighton
tradestation for backtesting, free if brokerage acct

Apr 1, 2008
as above, they outsource charting/backtesting to IT-Finance, go to ProRealTime.com and click on strategies for examples.
I've been using the same software but through IG -Index and it works ok. Have just dropped my backtesing strategy into my CMC MM trial account and it works fine.
There is one bug that you will need to work around, on the backtesting tab under "2 -Money Management" click Capital Management and set the initial capital to something like 1million. It then magically works! Couldn't get a decent response why out of IGIndex, got the impression this feature isn't used a lot.

On this topic don't suppose you or anyone else could advice on a good platform for taking these strategies to the next level and automating them? I'm mainly looking at the Futures on the DOW, FTSE and Oil?