Average life of a Spread Bet?

worthington

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to spread betting, looking to start trading real money in the next 6-12 months and I'm on a demo account at the minute.

Just out of curiosity, how long is your average Spread Bet?

Hi guys,

I'm relatively new to spread betting, looking to start trading real money in the next 6-12 months and I'm on a demo account at the minute.

Spreads vary per market and company. Also keep your eye out for "fixed" spreads v "variable" spreads. Fixed are far better for you.

There's a few decent comparison sites out there so take a look at these to get a better idea:

http://www.independentinvestor.com/brokers/spread-betting
http://www.money.co.uk/financial-spread-betting.htm

Hope that helps.

Hi guys,

Simon Denham, founder of Capital Spreads, in an interview earlier this year which you can find on youtube, estimated the average bet with CS to be no more than 5 minutes.

Not saying that's a good or a recommended thing by the way, as it depends entirely on your style and how the market is running.

I'm not sure that aiming for a particular length of bet is really what you want to be concentrating on. You have to know what your target(s) is(are), and you probably should be clear from the outset whether you will close it before the end of the day, or if you are prepared to let it run overnight. And you also have to be clear when you are going to call it a failed trade and exit (i.e. have a stop loss and stick to it). Other than that, the market will decide how long it takes.

Hi guys,

Hi

I can't argue against what Mike has posted but personally my trades may last 1min or in some cases I have taken a longer contract and rolled it over for 6 months or more.

Andy