Aspenalysis: Simple To Follow FX Trade Ideas

My current take on the S&P's:

3.20.13sp10min.png

Lastly - with the FOMC decision at 2 PM EST I think it would be a good idea to a live webinar during that announcement.

So - tune in today at 1:55 PM EST and let's do some live analysis and possibly some trades - trading conditions permitting.

Register Now

Traders - we certainly had our share of volatility today compliments of the on-going situation in Cyprus. A couple of thoughts:

- Coming into today the S&P count was certainly bullish per this AM's Top FX Charts update. Prices did try to move higher initially but got whacked above the 1558 level. This was likely headline driven.

- On the other side of the coin - EUR/USD looked awful coming into today's session after failing overnight to get back above 1.3050 - as noted in the AM's Top FX Charts

I was saying to my colleague Jason last night on a conference call that at some point the S&P's are either going to notice EUR/USD getting wrecked...continue reading

Good afternoon traders. It was another day where we saw more action in the S&P's than in FX. Granted, pairs like EUR/USD and EUR/JPY had some decent downside action in the overnight session, but once NY rolled into town, the S&P's were the better vehicle, as EUR/USD and EUR/JPY tapped out and went sideways - see the charts below.

However, this bifurcated market should continue to remain on traders radar screens. Cyprus appears to be 'old news' if you listen to the financial entertainment channels, but that to me is the rub. Cyprus does matter and it may be gaining traction if you look in the right places. European markets lost around 1% and more importantly, debt markets in Italy, Spain, and Portugal began leaking worse than they did yesterday, and Greece was hit pretty hard. Additionally, bank stocks in Europe continue to be under pressure. Additionally, if the party is so great in equity land, why is volume in SPY and QQQ at levels last seen on the Thanksgiving and Christmas breaks?

I believe this is why you saw EUR weak across the board and the S&P's begrudgingly going higher. I came across a new word today that might accurately describe what equity bulls are taking these days - 'hope-ium' - thanks to Bill Fleckenstein for that. I continue to play the S&P's only on an intra-day basis because of this event/headline risk.

With the S&P's chipper to the upside, some clients have noted they are hesitant to be short EUR/USD or other EUR crosses. In the past I think this was a valid argument but as you will see in the chart below, that is not the case presently - EUR is going down regardless of the S&P's going higher. Welcome to the alternative universe we trade in presently.

3.27.13eurVSsp.png

That said, traders intent on chipping away at EUR/USD to the downside should consider this chart for the next 8-12 hours. (the remainder of this article is available to Aspen clients)

Have a great evening.

Dave

Video Update: Why Traders Need A Story Line

Trading is far more than charts and indicators - you need to be looking a variety of different asset classes and scenarios. Creating a story line and building on it each day is one way to increase you odds of succeeding.

This video offers a brief overview of how I incorporate a story line into my trading each and everyday.

April 9 PR - Aspen_Trading's library

Trading S&P's?

Trading AUD/JPY

Likely stating the obvious here, but you cannot trade one without monitoring the other.

Attachments

• 4.12.13audjpySP.png
    4.12.13audjpySP.png
    77.6 KB · Views: 122
Good evening traders - to say it was an eventful day is an understatement. Between the event's in Boston and the sell-off in markets, the world became a very interesting place...again.

Tonight's video should help put some perspective on the action.

April 15th NY Wrap Up Video

What do traders fear most? Well, the answer can vary depending on the individual, but largely speaking it boils down to some broad categories:

Fear of not making money or losing money
Not being disciplined
Not having a plan - or perhaps executing it
Not knowing when to step aside

The last one is the focus of my video today. Trading is not your typical 9-5 job where you do your tasks like a drone in a cubicle and collect your paycheck. Not only is it vastly different....but requires a completely different mindset. Learn how to work towards that mindset....

Thinking Like A Trader

Hey - we have all been there. That rush to book profits to feel really good about ourselves - only to see prices move higher - or worse - digging your heels in and ignoring the warning signs.

No approach is 100% perfect - but I will show you today one that will greatly enhance your ability in managing trades and thus making more money.

Learn how this simple but effective approach works....watch the video now

EUR/USD back below 1.3000 - this pair has lower levels written all over it.

Make a stand - stops at 1.3200 and walk away or play some golf

$ZN_F (10-year Treasuries) looks like a solid short, technically speaking - tough to call tops though

Attachments

• 5.1.13bondTARGET.jpg
    5.1.13bondTARGET.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 147
I found this observation from short seller Jim Chanos pretty interesting. I have to admit, I never really picked up on this...

“In virtually all cases of major financial market fraud over the past 20 years, the only people who really brought forth the fraud into the light were either internal whistle blowers, the press, and/or short-sellers. It was not the normal guardians of the marketplace – regulators, law enforcement, external auditors or people like that - that did it."

I found this observation from short seller Jim Chanos pretty interesting. I have to admit, I never really picked up on this...

“In virtually all cases of major financial market fraud over the past 20 years, the only people who really brought forth the fraud into the light were either internal whistle blowers, the press, and/or short-sellers. It was not the normal guardians of the marketplace – regulators, law enforcement, external auditors or people like that - that did it."

At least here in the US, I would't classify regulators as guardians of the marketplace. They act when they absolutely have to, such as when something gets out to the public of wrong doing. Otherwise they turn a blind eye to everything else.

Just my opinion.

Peter