best fx pair to trade in evening?

Paz mentioned a key being to watch a lot of markets.

I'll take that a bit further. In your observations of price movements, try and look at what happens when the markets move as a whole ie related currency sides, correlated instruments, inversely correlated instruments etc. This will help greatly in the filtering of trade selection and determining when a move may be over.

thanks paz, its insightful for you to outline what you normally do for record keeping, thanks for sharing and i will adopt a similar approach to yours and maybe start a blog which could provide the running commentary of my journey as well as help on feedback.

from the sounds of it, you seem very experienced already in trading the fx?

No, no forex, just index futures. It kind of goes back to what I've been banging on about really, that everything is very individual. I just find I can trade them better.

One thing I'd emphasise really strongly if you're going to trade your own account. If you're a broker, I'd imagine you'll see a lot of people over-trading and getting absolutely killed because of it. You've got some major disadvantages as a retail punter, but also one major advantage: you choose when you trade. I'm just saying this because it was my own experience, but a big break through for me was learning the patience to only trade when I thought the odds were heavily in my favour.

To illustrate what I mean, I day trade futures. 5 or 6 trades is a fairly busy week for me.

The thing is, if you can manage it, you can really reduce your variance, which I think is important to a lot of people. Would you rather have 100% per annum from slow, steady profits with little drawdown, or 150% with wild swings and 50% drawdown (obviously again it depends, if you live via your day job it's not as important).

Equally though, say you can net just 2R per week. Risking say 2% or 3% that's a hell of a return at the end of the year. And all you've got to do is find 2 or 3 good trades per week on average.

Just my 2p anyway. Good luck with everything, I hope it all goes well for you. (y)

Paz mentioned a key being to watch a lot of markets.

I'll take that a bit further. In your observations of price movements, try and look at what happens when the markets move as a whole ie related currency sides, correlated instruments, inversely correlated instruments etc. This will help greatly in the filtering of trade selection and determining when a move may be over.

Forgot to add, news events can focus what may have appeared to be drifting directionless instruments. Know the relationships of these instruments when events occur and if some of them are not behaving as per your expectation, stand aside.

thanks to both paz and counter violent for your useful advice, as a trader noob, im definitely finding some benefit to hearing sound advice from veterans such as yourselves and no doubt when i get going and am in position to give advice, i would dearly love to be able to contribute also.

paz - as a broker, i do talk to many investors who do a form of t+20 trading on cash equities and some can end up being burnt which is never a nice thing so your advice against overtrading is well heeded and your illustrations are exactly the kind of scenario based thought process i need to instill in my mind so hats off to you for explaining it so well!
one thing tho....what is "2R"?

counter violent - thanks for the advice re: identifying the inter relationships and movement expectations based on newsflow, i often see signs of increased volatility and am aware that some people consider news trading as a method and approach in its own right, my initial method is to establish how things move relative to macro and micro economic changes and as i have seen in these last 2 weeks with the mkts, it can make a huge difference! i have a wealth of information for trading that i have yet to go through in terms of ebooks, videos etc and would perhaps want to establish a kind of resource website for noobs like me (amongst other things, im a dab hand at website development lol).

i think i will begin an online journal/website/blog to start a good habit of record keeping my trades and analysing them as a "living blog".

at the risk of reinventing the wheel, would you think it worthwhile to set up a website/blog that perhaps users of T2W and others could benefit from each others experience regardless of level, via a blog and an interactive site? the idea im thinking of is to set up a blog for myself but why not maybe opening it up for all traders to get their own trade journal online to either share or view themselves? just a thought since im planning to do one anyways, would T2W be supportive towards maybe something like this?

Sorry, "R" is just risk - the amount you risk on each trade. This is a constant percentage of my account - after a hit, it goes up in cash terms (I'm still compounding), after a miss it goes down in cash terms. But the per cent figure remains constant.

Say you have an account of £100,000 for sake of argument. You risk 2% per trade, so 1 R is £2,000.

yeah, thanks for the advice regarding trading journal, i will start my one very soon!
trading the eur/usd atm, seemingly bullish...

paz: thanks for clarifying, i will go back to the drawing board in terms of pinpointing profit target areas and stop loss adjustments. rather than identifying a profit take area precisely, im considering identifying a "move stop loss to breakeven" level, any thoughts here?