Best Thread ASK ME ANYTHING: Hoping to Help!

Brilliant insight, more than balances the fatal concentration on entry signals, levels and patterns.

There's nothing particularly fatal about entry signals etc. If one has no entry signal, he's just guessing. What is fatal is having no means of determining whether or not one was right in entering where he did. Entering on the bottommost or topmost tick is unnecessary. What is more important is getting the direction right, along with the above.

There's nothing particularly fatal about entry signals etc. If one has no entry signal, he's just guessing. What is fatal is having no means of determining whether or not one was right in entering where he did. Entering on the bottommost or topmost tick is unnecessary. What is more important is getting the direction right, along with the above.

No, entry signals with the direction of price movement aren't fatal and they are necessary. But they only confirm the trader's edge, they aren't themselves the edge.

But overwhelming concentration on entry signals is just too common and leads to them being over-valued by addition of duplicating TA evidence (indicators). This elevates them way beyond trend and price momentum, and that is inevitably fatal to an account.

the problem is these smart algos, they see your stops, they learn

they learn...

i can't acct for how many times i placed a trgt, a very reasonable trgt...only to have the algos stop me one tick before my fill! and revere it on me!

the bottom line is ..they can see your stops and your limit orders

i've placed too may trades to know that isn't true...

i place trades see it go 2-3 ticks against me instantly...it wasn't like anyone had to think about it what about that?

it was instantly

it was definitely an algo responding to my trade...and it was fading me automatically..or autoaxiomattilay..as you will

it was trying to stop me, moving up one level at a time, testing me

its bs, imo

Last edited:
the bottom line is ..they can see your stops and your limit orders

i've placed too may trades to know that isn't true...

i place trades see it go 2-3 ticks against me instantly...it wasn't like anyone had to think about it what about that?

it was instantly

it was definitely an algo responding to my trade...and it was fading me automatically..or autoaxiomattilay..as you will

it was trying to stop me, moving up one level at a time, testing me

its bs, imo

Bound to happen, surely?

Bound to happen, surely?

no not bound to happen but happens almost always...place trade and immediately trys to take you out by 2 or 3 ticks...just runs next level then waits. i don't take that bait, takes it up next level trying screw me out of another tick.

i've see it too many times to be a coincidence. or whatever..real phenomenon aqnd its algo's:innocent:

if it was just random tom, i'd be up 3 ticks and down 3 ticks 50/50...but not like that,

as soon as i place the trade i'm out a tick or 2 immediately, never up a tick or 2 right away..

i have to grind those out

you don't see this too!!??

if it was just random tom, i'd be up 3 ticks and down 3 ticks 50/50...but not like that,

as soon as i place the trade i'm out a tick or 2 immediately, never up a tick or 2 right away..

I'm not saying its random, but at close range to a current price there are only so many levels at which to place a rational stop. Its because traders don't randomly place stops that the market trades to trigger it. After all, even the stop-placer must have thought there was a reasonably foreseeable possibility of that price being hit, or why place it there? You cannot think that one broker, yours, could/would wish to move an entire currency market to hit your unique trade stop?

why don't you collaborate with a friend who has another account at the same firm and compare rates once you're in the position whilst your friend remains flat. if you buy EUR/USD for example at 15 and your friend still see's 14-15 still but you see 13-14 you will know the broker is applying some price bias to your account.

At least you will know for sure whether your broker is stitching you up.

. . . At least you will know for sure whether your broker is stitching you up.
Hi highbury fx,
Do brokers do this on an account by account basis? If so, is the practice widespread or confined to just one or two? If the latter, would you care to say which ones?
Tim.

why don't you collaborate with a friend who has another account at the same firm and compare rates once you're in the position whilst your friend remains flat. if you buy EUR/USD for example at 15 and your friend still see's 14-15 still but you see 13-14 you will know the broker is applying some price bias to your account.

At least you will know for sure whether your broker is stitching you up.

Pip and friend:LOL:

Hi highbury fx,
Do brokers do this on an account by account basis? If so, is the practice widespread or confined to just one or two? If the latter, would you care to say which ones?
Tim.

hi Tim

I've not seen it at the 3 spreadbet/cfd brokerages I've worked at although I did suspect it was happening to an account I used at a swiss broker back in 2004. I'd be surprised if it happens at any fca brokerages today but I wouldn't be surprised if it happened at brokers regulated in less stringent jurisdictions as it's an easy bit of code to write.

its very simple to see if its happening to you.. just compare 2 accounts, 1 in a position and 1 not in a position.

what probably is more prevalent is the automatic applying of arbitrary slippage on orders. that's more of a widespread problem i'd imagine and has the same result as price bias in terms of paying away unnecessarily pips.

So if a stop on a long is hunted by your broker, but the market's still rising, why not get in a new long at the stop price?

So if a stop on a long is hunted by your broker, but the market's still rising, why not get in a new long at the stop price?

pardon? if you're long and the market is rising your stop is not in danger.

price bias isn't just about hunting for stops, its a cheap trick to make you pay more spread on your exit. if you buy on a 13-15 price and they immediately move it to 12-14 they've effectively widened the spread on you.

pardon? if you're long and the market is rising your stop is not in danger.

price bias isn't just about hunting for stops, its a cheap trick to make you pay more spread on your exit. if you buy on a 13-15 price and they immediately move it to 12-14 they've effectively widened the spread on you.

Surely you wouldn't buy at 15 and put a stop at 12?

With regards stop-hunting, there's no point me arguing that something can be done and how its done when it doesn't exist. I accept brokers' spreads do widen during the day but this is according to the level of risk they're carrying, there's no hunting going on here. We know this happens, and the people who get hurt are the traders who fail to allow for price noise.

Have you seen the spread widening on FXCM on a Friday night and early doors on a Sunday? And don't forget the 10pm close every day - ridiculous ! The brokers seem to claim it's nothing to do with them and more to do with their liquidity providers (the banks).

My opinion is this is one of the tricks that ensures that most Forex retail traders lose. I'm not sure if it's happening with equities though.