Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi there.
I am currently trading commodities futures with saxo,but I would like to start trading options as well. I would keep my account with saxo and open another one to trade options, but after what I've read in this forum for saxo, I'm now considering open a new account somewhere else altogether. I prefer the platform to be free and have commodities futures (wheat, corn etc) in Europe as well.

thanks in advance

Hi all,

I am totally new to all of this so i am hoping this post is in the right place! :)

I finished a Physics degree last year and have since been working for a recruitment company based in central London. I am very keen to get in to trading, my problem is that right now i know very little and don't know which area i should head for. I have always been good at maths and have tried following forums, reading up online etc but i was hoping for some advice from people who have already found their success!

I am in no way kidding myself that i can get rich overnight, nor that i can 'beat the trend' and get lucky with a random trade. I am however looking for a market to throw myself into, to dedicate time to understand as best that i possibly can, whether its through using mock trade software or simple studying.

I suppose what i am really looking for is some advice on where to start, a good book? a course for beginners? a qualification i should put myself through? At the moment all i have is a wild hash of information i have come across on the internet and no 'real' knowledge.

Sorry for the ultimate newbie question but right now i am just looking for a push in the right direction or maybe even some advice on what got you started to give me something to look into.

Thanks for taking the time to read and any suggestions will be more than welcome.

try reading "Futures, Options, and Other Derivatives" by John Hull... with a physics background the maths is understandable, and should give you a few clues about where to take it from there.

(I say read, I mean flick through it and study the bits that are interesting to you)

It is a textbook, not a book about market psychology or particular trading techniques - but it should appeal to your curiosities and educate you in the meantime.

Where did you study Physics?

hi everyone,
i have a question to the more experienced traders here,

what is the best technical indicator for day trading? i mean like 5minute candlestick chart trading,
thanks!

hi everyone,
i have a question to the more experienced traders here,

what is the best technical indicator for day trading? i mean like 5minute candlestick chart trading,
thanks!

It's a difficult one to answer Barry, in the sense of 'One man's music is another man's poison' sort of way. For every person who likes the RSI, you'll find and equal number that likes the Stochastic or Moving Average cross. You have to figure out the one that you like and adapt your trading method to it. You will find that it is the trading method that you use in conjunction with the indicator that is more important than the indicator itself.

I have been searching on the Internet for a site indicating Gold Option Strike rates - but so far without success.

Can anyone suggest a site.

Hello ..dear friends ..i am anxious to meet some friends to chat how do overcome and set a new business in the worest econoical situation ,espcially for graphic artist ..you can add me on Skpye : tomzhaojakos . Anyone help will be appreciated ,tks !

Hello and question about executing orders

Hi all, I'm new to this game and I'm still in the learning phase. I signed up with optionsXpress to use their Virtual Trading system while I get to grips with everything
but a lot of the trades don't execute in the way I expect or at the prices I expect.
Any limit orders I make just get ignored, contingent orders then get executed anything up to 60c below the limit I set.

Basically I want to be able to set up stops and/or trailing stops safe in the knowledge that they'll be executed at or close to the price I give.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hi everyone. I'm new to the forum, and to trading.

I have a question. Hope it's not too basic:

When looking at short-term opportunities, what time scale should I be looking at on the charts?

To clarify, I realise that, for example, when a stock/index is on a consistent long trend over, say 12 months, that trend has trends-within-the-trend, as the price rises and falls between its trend lines on its way upwards over the long term.

So when the price reaches its resistance at the top it should rebase down to its support at the bottom, but obviously with a higher low than before, and then begin to climb back up to its resistance line again, but with a higher high than before.

So, for example when looking for a short-term trade with a long-term bullish stock, should I be looking at entering the trade (obviously taking all other signals, etc into account), when the short-term 'trend-within-trend' is also long?

Therefore, for short-term opportunities I should be looking for signals given in what time-frame?

I'm not sure if I'm making myself clear here :confused:

When (if?) I get some replies I will find out if I have :)

Thanks in advance for your help (y)

Oh, and another thing:

Does anyone have a formula/theory for choosing moving average periods based on individual shares/indices? If so, I would love to know what it is :)

Last edited:
What broker to chose

Hi,

I'm new in the forex business and I wanted to know what is the best way to chose the broker to trade with. I see so many broker advertising but I don't know any of them.

Thanks,

Forex Brokers

I trade Forex thru Online Stock Trading | MB Trading Direct Access Brokerage Firm, you must have good broker, I find many forex brokers have trading desk and they trade against you. MB does not, they are electronic with small pips. only $400 to open an accont.

I trade stocks, options, futures & forex.

10/8/08 shorted EUR/USD @ 1.3735 looking for 1.3607

Hope this helps

anna anna

[email protected]

I am working onmy live trading site, I make some good calls

Hi,

I want to start getting Level 2 information. I see that digitallook (CMC Markets) are offering it freely, and that I would need to pay over £300/year to ADVFN.
Will they be offering the same service? If not, what is the difference?

Thanks,
David.

Hey guys,

I'm a new college-aged trader who has been dabbling in the markets since high school.

I'm a follower of value investing combined with trading.

I have been successful this year and I'd like to backtest my trading formula to see if it has sustainability.

Can you guys provide me some links to websites or software which can be used to backtest a formula or system?

Thank you in advance

Hey guys,

I'm a new college-aged trader who has been dabbling in the markets since high school.

I'm a follower of value investing combined with trading.

I have been successful this year and I'd like to backtest my trading formula to see if it has sustainability.

Can you guys provide me some links to websites or software which can be used to backtest a formula or system?

Thank you in advance
Have a look at TradeStation, Wealth-Lab and ProRealTime for starters. For more in-depth studies you can download data and analyse it in Excel or write your own backtest environment if you can code.

As a value investor you should be in seventh heaven right now!

Hehe, I am in super super super seventh heaven :)

I used technical analysis to stay in cash and now a stock I was looking at investing in has fallen from $41 to $20 on fear :)...just waiting for the moment to strike!

Thank you very much, I will look into these products!

I'm very interested in options trading but I haven't started yet with real money. I'm still studying and practicing. My brother-in-law tried to talk me out of investing money in stocks because of the state that the USA economy is currently in. As someone who lives in the USA, is this something I should be worried about? Does a failing economy make trading more risky than it already is and maybe not as profitable as in a successful economy? Or is the money making potential still the same in both cases as long as you know what you are doing?

Thanks
-Anaya

Last edited:
HI

can anyone tell me if there is a software package that enables filtering of UK stocks by ADX?

Thanks

Warrants

Hello,

I'm new to this site, and fairly new to trading. Recently, after a few losses, I decided to get serious about trading and began to educate myself. I have read a number of books, but one that I really liked a lot is a very old one by W. D. Gann, "Truth of the stock tape." In one of his other books he talks about warrants.

I'm wondering if it is possible to trade in warrants in the US. And how one would go about it. Any thoughts, ideas or suggestions?

Thanks.

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

Status
Not open for further replies.