Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ib stop order not filling

Hope someone can help me with this.

I use a market guru for entry and exit points on some trades. Generally, his entry for a buy is above the current price and for a sell, below the curent price. So, I set up a stop order (with IB) to enter once the target entry is reached. This morning my CF target entry was 146.35. I had a stop order placed before market to trigger at that price. Unfortunately, it passed through my stop price and continued quickly down for nearly 3 minutes before executing. By the time my order executed, my preplaced exit target (a limit order) had also been crossed, so both orders triggered simuiltaneously and instead of a nice 1 pt gain, i posted a bid/ask spread loss of around 15 cents.

Is IB's method of triggering stops not based on the actual sale price? Does it relate to bid or ask prices? I would like to capitalize on these quick movements if possible.

Thanks for your help.

new help for newbies

I would like to start trading but would like advice on brokers, software and books to read.

I want to open a trading account and start trading with £100 just to get a feel for trading before I put any major money into trading.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ega

I have spent so much time looking for some legitimate site to guide me for so long. No use going direct to brokers, trainers, etc. cos you just dont kow who they are. Last night I was ready to sign up for a training package costing $2500. He looked legit, all the sites said he was great. Feedback forums either had no info, or the info was obviously from his spruikers. But, BINGO, I knew if I looked hard enough, I would find an honest traders site. This site had all the info I needed on the guy and the course, and I saved big time. They have heaps of info on the scammers, instructions on how to test whether the broker is legit etc. etc. The site is Forex Trading System with Forex Signals and Broker Reviews
You will be so happy to find this site. It is what all us newbies need. Direct any of your friends to this site, and save potential losses. Happy hunting. I have not decided on anything yet, but when I do you can be sure I will be checking it out with this site first. They do not recommend any services, make their money from advertising. Full of forum info from heaps of people with all the good the bad and the ugly. Signal alerts you can get too. I just got some notifications. Useless to me at the moment cos I dont know what I am doing. Lol. Ella.

e minis

Hi all,

Taking you up on your offer to post "any" question...

I'll try be brief - I would like to start trading e-mini's (me an dthe rest of teh world right?) - anyway, I am Syndey based and need to get all the bits lined up to get going - my questions are as follows:

1 - Being in Sydney, Australia, can anyone recommend a good trading platform to sign up with to process my trades. (I am assuming this is all I need to actually place trades and access the info I need, charting, etc., to make decisions. If this is not correct and I actually need to setup various things, please let me know. I point out that I am in Sydney in the hope there is an easy local provider which will make transfering Australian dollars easy - if not, so be it)
2 - I am also operating on the assumption that I will need to pay a monthly/Annual fee to get access to this trading platform as well as commission per trade ($2.5). Is this correct
3 - I guess then the final step is the toughest - I need to learn how to read the charts and make my decisions. Any tips on where to start, books to read, forums, training courses etc.

Many thanks to you all for your help in advance.
Kevin

You obviously have seen the Traders International video. Did you find anything adverse about them. I am trying to get info on them but having no luck. Ella.

Hi guys
calling from Singapore. Hk mkts closed because of typhoon , and its affecting our stock market. Seems that we are so dependent on HK and its futures trading on HSI.
Whats the difference between Brent crude and light sweet, and their price difference.
Also whats the difference between nymex gold and gold traded in London?

Hello
i am searching a interface to the Tradestation Globalserver(use VB as a DataFeed)

Thanks!

alton

Hi,

I'm trying to predict daily changes in stock market indices. My stats is pretty good but my financial knowledge is woeful.

I have got lots of daily opening and closing prices from Yahoo. Why do most stock indices show differences between one day's closing price and the next day's opening price while with some (I think in the smaller countries) the closing and opening prices are identical?

Also is there anyway to know what the opening price will be before the day's trading begins?

Thanks a lot,
Mortonas

Will a good system work in any market, any time-frame?

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

I have a system that is so darn simple. It works in emini SP, but sometimes my stops are far away, and i give away three day's profit in one day!

I was thinking of diversifying by trading many markets in different timeframes - i googled for information about this and got this forum, another one that required you to pay (linda someone - turns out she's just a cta), and a site called http://www.abcfutures.com, which claims systems work in all markets.

That being said, it seems that by trading 20 or 30 markets in two or three timeframes, using the same black box system, would have a built-in "diversification" effect. Where one market fails miserably, several others compensate for this. Problem - I CAN'T PROGRAM!! I need to test this with software. Any ideas? Every site I found lures me in and then gives me a hefty programmer's consulting fee. this http://www.abcfutures.com claims a free consultation - but NOTHING is free!!! Very frustrating. A) Does any one have an opinion - are good systems relevant in all markets and in all time frames; b) Can anyone recommend programmers to help me test this out?

-Thanks
Bill

I'm a recent college grad in the Chicago area and I have an interview scheduled later this week with a prop firm. The firm told me there will be a logical reasoning test administered.

Does anyone have any prep advice? What should I expect? This will be my first interview of this kind (with a prop firm).... Thanks in advance for any help.

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

Could anybody help me and let me know if they hav used "Kathy Lien" web site, and would they recommend it.

DAX news event times

Hello,

I am wondering where I can find a list of news events for Germany, similar to GDP, CPI, etc. in the US, but for Germany that might effect the DAX that trades there starting at 2 AM CST here. Thanks ! For those interested, I highly recommend InfinityFutures.com and their low cost trading platform using Sierra Charts. They have great customer service, low margins, and great fills !

German News Calendar

Hello,

I am wondering where I can find a list of news events for Germany, similar to GDP, CPI, etc. in the US, but for Germany that might effect the DAX that trades there starting at 2 AM CST here. Thanks ! For those interested, I highly recommend InfinityFutures.com and their low cost trading platform using Sierra Charts. They have great customer service, low margins, and great fills !

Hi, well, this depends on if you have some basic knowledge of German or not. If you do have, one of the best free info sites is : Technische Analyse von Aktien, Chartanalyse, Aktienanalysen, Börsenkurse uvm. - GodmodeTrader | Startseite | GodmodeTrader.de. Go to the link on the top right named REALTIME. There you have a list of realtime indices, etc. Another good and free site for info is if you open a free FXGame account at Forex Trading - OANDA FXTrade. Then when inside go to FXNews/Economic Calendar. English for you, maybe easier. The most important news anyhow affect futures and forex. About your recommendation : I prefer Futures Trading, Online Futures Brokers - Amp Futures Trading, for anyone starting out I would recommend the e-mini live signal trading room at Day Trading System, Forex Trading System, Currency Trading, Online ForexTrading - NetPicks. You can try their signals for free for two weeks, they have been around since eons and they have very reliable signals.The advanced version they offer is obviously their UMT program, just check it out, it will blow your socks away. happy trading, michael :)
===============
BTW : I am not affiliated with any of these.

Hi
I am based in the UK and looking for a broker here. If u transfer funds to a US broker there is the trouble and expense of getting back your gains. Have people got experiences or recommendations? So far in reading and studying websites generally I have got this list of best features, though nobody seems to have them all:
(in no order)
1 Don't trade on own account so not trading against you
2 Don't limit your stops so you cannot be as tight as you like, when you like
3 Charge commission - if they don't, they load the spreads (and quoted spreads don't always seem to get delivered in practice)
4 All-electronic, so there is no danger of human intervention to worsen your price
Er ... that's it. Grateful for recommendations, links etc

Price action "Ladder" trading

I have read about various people trading price ladder screens (mainly pros I think) as opposed to bar charts/candles etc?

What are the advantages/ disadvantages?
- are they more sensitive to giving price action "signals" and are they used in conjunction with normal charting for entry/exit signals??

ps as a newbie I don't think I will be using them - just curious.

Thanks,

Swiss

Great thanks

thanks for all the people who manged to create this thread it is really a cool one that helps me alot to gain more new infromations.

I have a question regarding trading. I have read a book namely The trading Edge. In the book, the authur expressed his own opinion about success in trading. There are four elements: trading edge, long term winning strategies, psychology, money management.
I found certain aspects of the meaning of a trading edge.
1. statistical edge in advantage. winning percentage >50% and profit factor >2:1
2. identify trends or counter trends quicker than others
3. happens once a day or even once a week or a month
4. happens in the past does not mean happen in the future. So an edge should be forward looking and robusting.
5. a certain pattern or market situation

It seems that "strategies" are quite different from "trading edge" , does anyone got a good expression of meaning of the trading edge?

My question, When oil floors out at $90 to-4$100 dollars I was thinking of buying an exchange traded fund in crude oil, does that seems sensible?
With an ETF in oil for example it seems impossible to lose your money as oil can never goes to zero, so investing in ETF crude oil seems to provide a guaranteed win if you hold long enough , is that right?
Also just curious who owns ETFs, can the company that owns them go bust and then you lose your money? Or are they safe from collapse?
Oil man Boone pickens says oil will floor out at 100 dollars, so surely investing all my money in a etf in crude woukld make it impossible for me to lose?

Hi, I was wondering if one would comment on JN FINANCIAL. I have an inteview with them as a junior broker.

Would someone be so kind to suggest what I should be listening out for, asking and any ideas for prep. one that will display uniqueness?

Many thanks

Aj

HI
could anybody recommend a trading book for spread betting for a day trader,
with set ups and technical analysis and what ticks of what ,
dont need to read any more about money managment learnd that one,
Have just read mastering the trade by john carter,

Status
Not open for further replies.