Ask ANY trading related question!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi everyone I am a Newbie here so forgive this question if it seems stupid. I have a meger amount invested in the stock market. I have never been a daytrader (thats a little lie I subscribe to a pennystock website before but it didn't work out). But I noticed one bank stock that I have had for over a year drops, goes up, hovers around $20. So basically a few times when it dropped in the low $19s I bought $12,000 worth of stock, about 580 shares. I then waited. Some times a few days, sometimes more than a week but eventually the stock would go up and I would sell for $250-$600 profit. Then I would wait (again sometimes a week or more) for it to drop and do it again. I have only done it three times. I went with the attitude that I think this is a great stock and if it does go down some....I'll let the money ride as a long term investment cuase I have faith in the stock.

Ok questions
Is what I'm doing stupid?
Is it what they call swing trading?
And finally are there any lists of stocks that behave like that? I don't mean penny stock that can go under but well established stocks from 10-20 bucks a share that have a history of going a few bucks under and a few bucks above a base line?

Thanks for your help.

weblife4u;432587 Ok questions Is what I'm doing stupid? Is it what they call swing trading? And finally are there any lists of stocks that behave like that? I don't mean penny stock that can go under but well established stocks from 10-20 bucks a share that have a history of going a few bucks under and a few bucks above a base line? Thanks for your help.[/QUOTE said:
========================================================================

what you are doing is not stupid (at least so far obviously -- BUT more on that !)
it IS certainly swing trading.

what you are trading appears to be what we refer to as "channeling" stocks or "rolling" stocks as they move within a fairly well defined "channel", moving to the topside and then back to the bottom and then back to the top again.

WARNING ---- while forex displays relatively secure and predictable movements within its channels, a channeling stock STOPS acting that way, hopefully one can get some advance warning by noticing any divergencies between indicators and price action.

one theory on channeling stocks is that they are created by "earnings plays", and when the stock retraces from any gains it has made, there is a SECOND and smaller runup that happens a bit later (which is what "muddys method" is all about --- once there is a second run, more traders pay attention to the stock and there is created another run --- BUT, sooner or later all this fun stops, and you can get caught and become a "bagholder" as many have !

im no longer active with trading stocks in that manner, as forex is the game now (much cheaper and much better profits faster !) but i used to hang around a site called "rolling stocks.com", and they may well still be in business, otherwise google for "channeling stocks or rolling stocks" and see whats out there now.

essentially what im saying is this activity is a lot of fun, until it all STOPS, and then there can be hell to pay ! BE VERY CAREFUL DOING THIS BLINDLY !

enjoy and trade well

mp

Hi - need expert advice!

Am a self taught 'novice' with limited trading expeience (traded stocks and indices using spread betting, following some tipster signals, and well, lost money!).

I want to get to trading full time..... can anyone recommend an exceptional course and / or mentor who could help me to learn, master, trading (my interests are trading indices, forex or stocks), using real day and swing trading strategies.

I realise to further myself now, I need the right training and mentorship. Where can I get realiable training and mentorship?

Hi, need some advice, can anyone help ?

Hi, I am new to this trading forum, saying hello to everyone posting here.

Question:

I recently read some interesting stuff about Direct Access Elite, seems to be a Level 2 platform.

Is this related to any specific broker, where can I find the website or a list of brokers that use DAE ?

I mostly trade US stocks & options.

I would be VERY grateful for any kind of helpful information.

Greetings

Michael

Hi, I am new to this trading forum, saying hello to everyone posting here.

Question:

I recently read some interesting stuff about Direct Access Elite, seems to be a Level 2 platform.

Is this related to any specific broker, where can I find the website or a list of brokers that use DAE ?

I mostly trade US stocks & options.

I would be VERY grateful for any kind of helpful information.

Greetings

Michael
===========================================

all direct access brokers offer level 2, as does most regular brokers also

mp

Some really naive questions

Hi,

I am making my first shaky steps in Spread betting and had an account with www.iii.co.uk but have recntly moved to igindex so that I can use a mobile device more easily.

Anyway just curious about a couple of things. I notice that for example, the rolling FTSE 100 index remains open even when the market is closed. I don't understand this and it is really frustrating because several times I have judged correctly that the market will rise or fall on opening so I have opened positions say a 07:40 only to find that the company moves the price erratically just before the market opens and zaps my bet to smitherines! How can the company move prices around when the market is closed? Is it bad to open positions at this time?

Kind regards,
Mark

The question...

Hi there guys, just literally getting started. 18 soon and would like to really make a go of trading (probably forex) over the next year.

ok silly questions....

1) Investment Capital, this is in each area of trading. How much should you start with?
2) Best to trade? Forex, Stocks etc.
3) Day trading as a career, courses, books etc. you'd recommend and any comments?
4) Potential earnings, obviously depends on startup capital and which area you would like to go in but some input would be greatly appreciated.

5) Most interesting? I've always been fascinated by the stock market but forex is pretty immense.

Cheers chaps
Alex

pls guide me

This new sticky thread is targeted to all new members and existing members who are making their first posts.

In this thread, feel free to ask ANY question relating to trading, however simple you think it is. Our forum advisors and more senior members will be happy to answer them for you! :smart:

:!: If you think your question requires more than a quick reply, it's best to create a new thread in the appropriate forum, so that a discussion about it can develop.

]

Hi,
I am a newbie looking for an experienced traders who can share his skills and knowledge to me.I have traded in stock market by just picking a quality stock (usually a midcap by studying the financial statements etc) and holding it for month or years and made profits. But now that I have realised that there are traders who are making day trading for living as i believe it could be a highly lucrative career and you can generate good returns say 0.5%-6% every day. So I may be looking to quit my job and become a full time day trader from long term investor. I want to learn how to use charting software and other stuffs which can give me a clear picture of trading and I am ready for any hard work. At present I have $60,000 to begin and I am 25 and have no commitments which would be a barrier in my path of success. Pls tell me how can you help me or give some ideas from where to begin. I truly uderstand that I will be a looser in the begining.
Any help would deeply be appreciated.
Regards,
PAUL

How can the company move prices around when the market is closed? Is it bad to open positions at this time?
Hi Mark,
Welcome to T2W.
The market open is (usually) the most volatile time of the day and to trade it successfully will require a lot of experience, cast iron discipline and a direct access broker. You didn't mention in your post either the timeframe or the type of orders you're using, but the implication is that you're daytrading in an attempt to make fast gains. Any type of daytrading with a spread bet broker is notoriously difficult and to trade the open is harder still. With market and stop orders, you're likely to suffer appalling slippage and be filled at a very bad price, and limit orders may not get filled at all. One solution maybe to open the trade the day before. So, if your strategy indicates that the market will rise strongly at the open tomorrow, you could go long near the close today so that you 're already in the market to take advantage of the early moves tomorrow. The obvious risk here is that your assessment is incorrect and the market gaps against you when it opens and / or there is bad overnight news.
Tim.

1) Investment Capital, this is in each area of trading. How much should you start with?
3) Day trading as a career, courses, books etc. you'd recommend and any comments?
4) Potential earnings, obviously depends on startup capital and which area you would like to go in but some input would be greatly appreciated.
5) Most interesting? I've always been fascinated by the stock market but forex is pretty immense.
Hi Alex,
Welcome to T2W.
Your questions aren't silly at all and answers can be found here:
Trading FAQ - T2W Day Trading & Forex Forums
Enjoy!
Tim.

]
. . . Any help would deeply be appreciated.
Hi Paul,
Welcome to T2W.
I'm slightly surprised at some of your comments given that your vendor icon says you're a broker! Anyway, making 6% per day is unrealistic - it ain't gonna happen, so don't give up the day job in the expectation that it will. A few very good traders make around 1% per day and may have the odd day here and there when they do better than that. But they're the really good ones. As to where to start - there's only ever one place - the beginning! Read the 'First Steps' forum and take it from there.
Tim.

hi people, just about to wet my feet in forex. m going to need a lot of guidiance so will be asking for help very often (be patient with me will u) thanks guys

hi Tim

Hi Paul,
Welcome to T2W.
I'm slightly surprised at some of your comments given that your vendor icon says you're a broker! Anyway, making 6% per day is unrealistic - it ain't gonna happen, so don't give up the day job in the expectation that it will. A few very good traders make around 1% per day and may have the odd day here and there when they do better than that. But they're the really good ones. As to where to start - there's only ever one place - the beginning! Read the 'First Steps' forum and take it from there.
Tim.

Hi Tim!
Thanks you so much for your reply. First of all I am not really dreaming of 6% a day consistently because if some one has that rate of sucess then he would easily beat Warren Buffet in some years with 60k. But I would like to confess that I am trading in Indian and Chinsese market were still there is a room for enough bull run with 5-10 years perspective. Every day if you are in these market you would realise that those markets are comparitively easier to trade atleast before January 2008, where every punter is making quick buck by just knowing the market mood, do you know that the those markets have nearly risen 4 times that they were 5 years back so think about specific stocks. Like I said I was a Long Term Investor holding my stocks for nearly 6-24 months I have seriously generated good profit from past few years and then when markets started to become choppy I tried intra day trading taking 20% leverage position just by doing very little research like looking the trend, analysing the news flow, Open Interest, Total buyers and sellers etc I was making 0.5% profit on average there were days when i made 4-5% profit not consistently but started loosing other day so i started following strict stoplosses and some risk managemnt then still I personally feel I can get some consistency if I do some more research like technical analysis using software or other reasearch or by changing my strategy etc. Yeah, now u must be thinking I am kiding but I am not here to waste mine time or yours honestly. I am day trading from past 6 months and not even a single day I felt like making 0.5% profit each is not a big deal, Yes i do agree 6% profit could be unrealistic every day but still there is always a room to improve, i mean what is really the definition of sucessfull traders. So this is a humble request to all traders please guide me so that i can achieve my sucess in this business as i see trading as a business.

Hi all,
I am very interested in pursuing a career as a trader however I have no degree or experience directly in trading. I have three years experience in Retail Banking sales and management and now work for the Commercial arm of a top five UK bank. I currently deal with large corporate clients on basic FX matters, deposits, cash management, and financials to name a few parts of my role. I have a great understanding of the economy and markets as I like to read reports and keep abreast of all the up to date market information. I did study economics at GCSE and A Level if this would help my cause.

I know this has been a long message describing me but I was hoping someone could give me an idea of if I have any chance of breaking in to a junior/trainee trader role.............
Secondly, if I do have a chance could anyone give me any pointers as to where to look or companies to contact that would entertain someone like me for a junior role????

Thanks for your help.

Craig

hi there yawl,could anybody PLEASE explainNICE N SIMPLE how to load experts and custom indicators on mt4????whatever i do it doesnt seem to work!!i know you have to put it in a certain folder,then compile it....er...or somthing like that???
HELP PLEASE!!!

Hi there guys, just literally getting started. 18 soon and would like to really make a go of trading (probably forex) over the next year.

ok silly questions....

Cheers chaps
Alex

1) for full size contracts, not less than $25k
one of the attractions to newbies of Forex is that there are brokers such as Oanda who will let you trade in fractions of Lots, therefore requiring much less starting capital

2)check out Captain Currency's 3 Ducks system - great for Forex newbies
(and even for those of us who've been around longer - I've just started to use it myself adapted into my existing trading method)
As a newbie, i would caution you to stay away from Futures for now, just look at plain old stocks. One favourite method of mine used to be entering Stop Buys to capitalise from a upwards breakout of 52 week highs.
yes, many people will tell you to SELL the new highs, but if Volume and Momentum are behind you, Buying at the top can be a great play. Check out anything by and about Nicolas Darvas

3) for books - Mastering The Trade by John F Carter and Trading in the Zone by Mark Douglas. I wish I'd read them before I started !!!

4) potential earnings - if you have ANYTHING left of your first account at the end of the first year, you will be doing well. Breakeven after 12 months means you're going to be a star trader. Sorry, but this is not an easy business. Simple but not easy.

5) personally I love trading breakouts from consolidation. Set Stop Buys and Stop Sells at fixed points above and below the congestion. It may take hours, days or even weeks (depending on what timeframe you're trading) to get a trigger, so patience is the key.

the biggest thing that will kill you as a newbie is overtrading - that's both taking positions that are too large, one false move and you're wiped out; and trading too often - you DON'T HAVE TO be in the market all the time. Standing aside and waiting is a perfectly valid trading position and in no ways diminishes you as a Trader.

good luck, hope it helps...

And Alex, by the way, those were far from silly questions.
I know of traders (including myself years ago) who didn't ask such questions and had to learn the hard way. None of the non-knobheads on this site will ever mind you asking sensible, constructive questions.
What people do object to is those who come here demanding the Holy Grail be delivered unto them with the minimum of effort on their part.
trading for a living or even as a serious "hobby" is stressful, demanding, psychologically challenging, and sheer bloody hard work to begin with.
newbies come here expecting to be able to earn the kind of sums that Doctors and Vets and whoever else spend 6 or 7 years studying for. It ain't gonna happen overnight guys.

hi there yawl,could anybody PLEASE explainNICE N SIMPLE how to load experts and custom indicators on mt4????whatever i do it doesnt seem to work!!i know you have to put it in a certain folder,then compile it....er...or somthing like that???
HELP PLEASE!!!

right click on the indicator you're trying to download.
Save as:
program files/metatrader/experts/indicators/"indicator name"

then next time you open up Navigator on your Meta charts, go to the Experts ......

Hi,

I am making my first shaky steps in Spread betting and had an account with Free Portfolio, Share dealing, ISAs, PEPs, SIPPs, CFDs, Spread betting - Interactive Investor but have recntly moved to igindex so that I can use a mobile device more easily.

Anyway just curious about a couple of things. I notice that for example, the rolling FTSE 100 index remains open even when the market is closed. I don't understand this and it is really frustrating because several times I have judged correctly that the market will rise or fall on opening so I have opened positions say a 07:40 only to find that the company moves the price erratically just before the market opens and zaps my bet to smitherines! How can the company move prices around when the market is closed? Is it bad to open positions at this time?

Kind regards,
Mark

the cash market operates between fixed timings, but most (index) Futures markets are 24 hours.
So today's cash close may not equate to tomorrow's cash opening if there has been significant overnight movement.

(This can often to decent opportunities to fade the gap between the closing and opening prices of the cash market as a substantial amount of occasions, price that Gaps Up or Down on Open will move to fill the void between the Open and yesterday's close.)

Hi everyone I am a Newbie here so forgive this question if it seems stupid. I have a meger amount invested in the stock market. I have never been a daytrader (thats a little lie I subscribe to a pennystock website before but it didn't work out). But I noticed one bank stock that I have had for over a year drops, goes up, hovers around $20. So basically a few times when it dropped in the low $19s I bought $12,000 worth of stock, about 580 shares. I then waited. Some times a few days, sometimes more than a week but eventually the stock would go up and I would sell for $250-$600 profit. Then I would wait (again sometimes a week or more) for it to drop and do it again. I have only done it three times. I went with the attitude that I think this is a great stock and if it does go down some....I'll let the money ride as a long term investment cuase I have faith in the stock.

Ok questions
Is what I'm doing stupid?
Is it what they call swing trading?
And finally are there any lists of stocks that behave like that? I don't mean penny stock that can go under but well established stocks from 10-20 bucks a share that have a history of going a few bucks under and a few bucks above a base line?

Thanks for your help.

given your "meagre" account size, the technique you described and your mindset that you wouldn't object to owning the stock even if it went a little lower, you could consider using Options - either Covered Call or Naked Put..

Covered Call - next time you buy the stock at $19, you sell the $20 Call.
Let's say for arguments sake you get $0.40 premium for such a call.
If the price moves up to (or beyond) $20 then you will make your usual ($20-$19) $1 profit plus the $0.40 premium
the downside is that price might shoot up to $25, you'd still have to sell at $20; but if you'dlanned to sell at $20 anyway you would have done so before the price moved up anyway, (unless it gapped up)......
If for some reason price doesn't reach $20 but stays above $19, you can keep the stock AND the $0.40 premium (and write another $20 Call for the next month, thereby earning another premium and bringing your breakeven down even further)
If the stock drops below $19, well you've received a premium of $0.40, so your actual breakeven point is now $18.60 :)
and premiums earned in subsequent months by writing other Covered Calls on the same stock will bring your B/E point down even further

Naked Put - next time the stock hits $19, you write the $18 Put which means you will be obliged to BUY the stock at $18 even if it tanks.
for arguments sake lets assume you receive a premium of $0.40 for this.
If you're right, and price moves back towards $20, you keep the premium.
Even if it drops but stays above $18.01 you keep the premium (nobody is going to force you to buy at $18 whjat they can unload on the open market for $18.01)
At this stage you still haven't purchased any stock, yet you keep the premium.
If price does tank and your option is excercised, you buy the stock at $18 but your breakeven point is $17.60
That's $17.60 on a stock that you were prepared earlier to pay $19 for !!
Of course the naysayers will warn you about the dangers of being commited to buying a stock at $18 when it could crash to $5 or less. But 1) you can always buy yourself out of your commitment, it will cost you something though, and 2) this was a stock you were happy to buy at $19. What do the naysayers have to say about you paying a dollar more for a tanked stock, how does that benefit you ?

Options don't suit everyone and the examples I have given are somewhat simplified.
But given the parameters to your trading that you mentioned above, I'd suggest either play is worth investigating ...

good luck, hope it helps .........

Status
Not open for further replies.