ART - not just pretty pics

The great thing about ART appreciation is that everyone is equally entitled to their own opinion.
The money men are as clueless as the rest.........
Lol Pat, you are a one!
That's akin to saying that no one knows what the markets will do and is entitled to their opinion as to whether they will go up or down. Ergo, you may as well stick your whole wad on a long trade and keep your fingers crossed. As most regular subscribers to this thread know, that isn't the best way to go about it. I can assure you that the 'money men' aren't as clueless as the rest, (hint: that's why they're the money men!), just as constantly profitable traders aren't as clueless as the majority who lose.
Tim.

Last edited:
... you may as well stick you're whole wad on a long trade and keep your fingers crossed. As most regular subscribers to this thread know, that isn't the best way to go about it.......

Is that where I've been going wrong?:D

"Money men (and women)" might simply buy what they like, but usually have very good advice from professionals about what is likely to appreciate in value. Many of those art works have great artistic qualities anyway, but some I personally dislike. That doesn't mean they are without merit, just not my cup of tea.
For example, I have given up trying to see real artistic merit in the works of Hirst and Emin.
That might be a personal lack of appreciation or understanding on my part, of course.
The thing about art is how you interact with it and what feelings it engenders in you.
Personally I usually look hard at something which many people believe to be of intrinsic value, as I prefer to be open minded. Sometimes I just don't see it, but many times art enriches or expands something in me.

Lol Pat, you are a one!
That's akin to saying that no one knows what the markets will do and is entitled to their opinion as to whether they will go up or down. Ergo, you may as well stick your whole wad on a long trade and keep your fingers crossed.Tim.

I was trying to refer to personal artistic appreciation, not the supposed value.
The story of Saatchi is interesting and about the money side of art. It is rumoured he looked around the art world to find tomorrow's talent today among young artists. He would buy en masse all the available stock of just such a young artist and then turn on the sales pitch to sell the pictures individually for a huge profit.

. . . He would buy en masse all the available stock of just such a young artist and then turn on the sales pitch to sell the pictures individually for a huge profit.
I thought of you today Pat and the comment quoted as I was catching a few rays on the terrace of the apartment I'm living in Malaga, with my headphones on, listening to this golden oldie from Mark 'n the boys . . .

I thought of you today Pat and the comment quoted as I was catching a few rays on the terrace of the apartment I'm living in Malaga, with my headphones on, listening to this golden oldie from Mark 'n the boys . . .

It was 75% yesterday in the sun loggia here and no foreign food, flies, expensive travel and apartments etc.

marvellous.

Mind the great whites patrolling off the beaches. Might fancy a tasty Brit for lunch. Pinas Coladas all round mate.

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?...6DB3DD5E7E26C3A8A0876DB3DD5E7E26C3A&FORM=VIRE

Last edited:
It was 75% yesterday in the sun loggia here and no foreign food, flies, expensive travel and apartments etc.

...how the other half live!

I'm obviously nowhere near either of you. A few degrees above freezing here, raining on and off for most of the morning, threatening clouds, extortionately expensive transport, felonious property prices and taxes, indifferent local swill.....

Ah, life in the Great Wen:)

"When a man is tired of London, he is tired of life" - have been feeling somewhat knackered for a while now.

PS: Got a spare room Timsk??

Last edited by a moderator:
. . .Got a spare room Timsk??
I'm now back from sunny Spain and have moved into our new home; a rather tired 60s bungalow in dire need of some TLC and having a shed load of money thrown at it. That said, nowt much wrong with the view: the pic' below was taken from my living room window first thing this morning. Sorry cantagril, I'm afraid it'll be quite some time before we have spare room for guests!
;)
Tim.

Snowy morning view.JPG

Nice view !
It looks as if you're sitting atop a softly rolling Devon hill.
No Japanese knotweed I hope !
Richard

Nice view !
It looks as if you're sitting atop a softly rolling Devon hill.
No Japanese knotweed I hope !
Richard

Blimey! You’re taking a chance, Richard, that’s the last thing Tim wants reminding about.:LOL:

I imagine the estate agent was speechless when Tim turned up with his military grade flame thrower and examined the garden first without even glancing at the house.

I imagine the estate agent was speechless when Tim turned up with his military grade flame thrower and examined the garden first without even glancing at the house.
:LOL: Lol Richard!

Funnily enough, I've just received an e-mail from the lady who bought my last house to say that she's removed a raised veg' bed (that we put in over 10 years ago) to make way for a trampoline for her kids and, in so doing, uncovered a crown of the dreaded weed the size of a beech ball. The really odd thing is that there's never been any sign of the plant above ground in that part of the garden. I'm not sure how to reply to her as she'll never believe that we're as surprised by her discovery as she is. Fortunately, she seems pretty sanguine about it (as she ought to be IMO - a lot of fuss about nothing) and is really enjoying her new home.

Anyway, if any of you uncover knotweed in your gardens - let me know and I'll tell you how to deal with it - I consider myself to be an expert! It's yet another useless thing to add to my long CV - only marginally more impressive than Fridge and Fruit Bowl Management.And both the latter are things I'm genuinely good at.
Tim.

:LOL: Lol Richard!

Funnily enough, I've just received an e-mail from the lady who bought my last house to say that she's removed a raised veg' bed (that we put in over 10 years ago) to make way for a trampoline for her kids and, in so doing, uncovered a crown of the dreaded weed the size of a beech ball. The really odd thing is that there's never been any sign of the plant above ground in that part of the garden. I'm not sure how to reply to her as she'll never believe that we're as surprised by her discovery as she is. Fortunately, she seems pretty sanguine about it (as she ought to be IMO - a lot of fuss about nothing) and is really enjoying her new home.

Anyway, if any of you uncover knotweed in your gardens - let me know and I'll tell you how to deal with it - I consider myself to be an expert! It's yet another useless thing to add to my long CV - only marginally more impressive than Fridge and Fruit Bowl Management.And both the latter are things I'm genuinely good at.
Tim.

She has your e-mail :rolleyes::LOL::eek::eek:

Opening gambit that....looking for compo.....just wait for the lawyer letters to start :LOL:

Having taken the thread off-piste with my last few posts, I thought I'd get it back on track with a link to this excellent documentary offering real insight into how the art market works and how to make your fortune in it. Cue spoiler alert: I'm afraid you need a fortune already in order to become a player. Sorry!
Tim.

Enjoy . . .
The Banker's Guide to Art

Ever been to St, Ives ?
It is worth a look for the natural scenery and all the art shops displaying. The Modern Tate there has some tasteless pieces that may appeal to some.

:)

Having taken the thread off-piste with my last few posts, I thought I'd get it back on track with a link to this excellent documentary offering real insight into how the art market works and how to make your fortune in it. Cue spoiler alert: I'm afraid you need a fortune already in order to become a player. Sorry!
Tim.

Enjoy . . .
The Banker's Guide to Art

Good job Quantt hasn't found this thread otherwise the whole art world would collapse overnight :LOL:

I love the way he catches the light on the water.

Attachments

• Alfred_Sisley_001.jpg
    Alfred_Sisley_001.jpg
    488.5 KB · Views: 231
There is a MAJOR Monet exhibition coming soon to London.
I think the commentator said it will show a large number of his works especially those of River Thames scenes painted at the turn of the century.
Missed the gallery but it will be one of the big ones.

Specially for Atilla!

Here's a nice picture that shows you can still acquire something worthwhile at a sensible price. Specially uploaded for Atilla to give him some relief from the lone battle he fights on the Brexit thread :)

Salthouse.PNG