ART - not just pretty pics

. . . Need I say more ?
A lot more I'm afraid Pat. For starters . . .

1. Which work?
2. Who's saying it's subtle and colourful etc. - you or someone else?
3. This description of Turner's work may well be accurate - but what's it got to do with his name being used for the contemporary British art prize?
4. If the description summaries your views - is this a template you use to define what is or isn't art?
5. By the same token, is it a template you use to define what's good or bad art?

If I and other subscribers to your thread are going to get any sort of understanding (which is all I'm trying to do) of what you consider to be good art - and why, along with what you consider to be 'rubbish' - and why, then these are the kinds of things I recommend you consider. That will give your opinions a great deal more substance and validity - and make them more noteworthy for those following the thread.
Tim.

A lot more I'm afraid Pat. For starters . . .

1. Which work? The fighting Temarare
2. Who's saying it's subtle and colourful etc. - you or someone else? Me
3. This description of Turner's work may well be accurate - but what's it got to do with his name being used for the contemporary British art prize? A lot. They could have chosen a different name.
4. If the description summaries your views - is this a template you use to define what is or isn't art? Amongst many others
5. By the same token, is it a template you use to define what's good or bad art?

If I and other subscribers to your thread are going to get any sort of understanding (which is all I'm trying to do) of what you consider to be good art - and why, along with what you consider to be 'rubbish' - and why, then these are the kinds of things I recommend you consider. That will give your opinions a great deal more substance and validity - and make them more noteworthy for those following the thread.
Tim.

This thread is not an art lecture just a celebration of the sublime. Disregard my opinions if you wish.

Hi Pat,

It's clear from yours and Jon's comments that I'm not making myself clear - so I shall try one last time to explain where I'm coming from and the issues I have with your posts.

Of course having an opinion is absolutely fine. Moreover, yours, Jon's and everyone else's is every bit as valid as mine. Just because I have an arts background, had a career in design & print, have many friends who are artists and designers and currently spend the bulk of my time making mosaics - doesn't make my views better than yours or anyone else's. I understand and accept that completely. Seriously, I really do. Not only that, but my views on many artists are quite likely to be similar to yours: I've already said I'm no fan of Hirst and Emin (of cut up cows and unmade beds fame). So, what's the problem?

The problem is that where I have an opinion about what does or doesn't constitute art - let alone whether it is good or bad art - I can support it with reasoned argument. Yes, there will be a fair amount of subjectivity involved - but I would never right off artists as varied as Picasso to Hambling as 'rubbish' -without offering some sort of explanation as to why. This is the key point - and it's one that neil also makes very well in his post, above.

If you are able to say why Monet is good and Picasso isn't - that would be a start and the thread might get somewhere. Just saying 'I think Picasso's rubbish and I'm entitled to my opinion' doesn't get anyone anywhere - least of all you. Look at it this way - how many threads have you seen on T2W started by someone saying what they intend to trade and how - only to get a short reply saying something like 'you're in cloud cuckoo land m8 - that'll never work'. Yes, it's an opinion to which that member is entitled, but it's of zero use to the OP or other subscribers to the thread. Exactly the same principle applies here.

You made this point earlier in the thread but then - like now - you've not explained why you think Turner would be disgusted. By contrast, I've provided sound reasoning and logic to suggest that in all probability he'd be perfectly happy with it. By all means question my logic and reasoning and put forward a counter argument. That's what good discussion is about and that's what leads to interesting and informative threads from which everyone can benefit and enjoy.
Tim.

Tim,

From an academic point of view I agree with all you say. However, Philistine me is only interested in art from an emotional viewpoint and , thus, sound reasoning is difficult to come by - it either turns you on or it doesn't. From that perspective it seems ok that I can say i think it's rubbish without any reasoning other than that it fails to stir me in any way.

Tim,

From an academic point of view I agree with all you say. However, Philistine me is only interested in art from an emotional viewpoint and , thus, sound reasoning is difficult to come by - it either turns you on or it doesn't. From that perspective it seems ok that I can say i think it's rubbish without any reasoning other than that it fails to stir me in any way.
Hi Jon,
We're more on the same page than you might think - or I might have lead you to think - for which I apologize. Further to my previous comments about accepting that others are entitled to their opinions, I also accept that others won't have had the formal art education that I've had and won't necessarily know much about it from an academic perspective - to use your term. And that's fine too - of course it is. I've forgotten most of what I learnt about art anyway, so I couldn't care two hoots about the academic stuff. It's not needed.

What I'd hoped for - which Pat doesn't want to provide (his prerogative) - is some sort of rationale behind his thinking. It matters not a jot if it's backed up with any academic understanding about art. In your case, if it 'turns you on' - why? What is it that elicits that response from you? Is it the shapes, the colours or textures etc? Perhaps it's just the skill on display and the recognition that the artist has created something you could never achieve in your wildest dreams? These are rhetorical questions; I'm just offering simple - non academic examples - of how you might engage with whatever you're looking at.

One of the common reasons why people who don't have an arts background struggle with some modern art - especially abstract work - is because they think a 5 year old could have created it. Now, I think their logic is often flawed for reasons I won't go into here, but at least they've thought about it and come up with a reason as to why the work in question is rubbish. That's all I'm trying (and failing dismally) to get Pat, you and others to do. Forget academic understanding about art - that's not required. Just look within and question your own feelings.

Having an emotional response to art is great and, indeed, is all that most (but not all) artists are trying to elicit from people who view their work. Some will even be delighted by the seemingly extreme response of 'decadent rubbish'. There's no right or wrong, all responses are valid, but they are only meaningful and helpful in a discussion like this if the response is given context by explaining why it's rubbish and, by contrast, why a Turner painting is wonderful to behold. The more you question what you look at, along with your responses to it - the more engaged with the work you become. This in turn will feed your understanding and appreciation of it. By way of example, look no further than Richard's last post and his response to Maggi Hambling's work. He did three key things:
1. He kept an open mind and gave her a second / third chance after a none too favorable impression of her show at the National.
2. He looked at her work in a careful and considered manner.
3. He noted his emotional response to what he saw.

Rinse and repeat. In so doing, his appreciation and understanding of her work changed. The key point to note here is that the work didn't change: Richard changed. In Richard's own words: "Part of "art" is how it makes you feel and see differently; your interaction with it, almost a two way thing." It's only a two way thing if you allow it to be.

Hope that makes (some) sense?
Tim.

Art appreciation is a funny thing! (& I don't mean humorous) I think it's a bit like music appreciation and trading the markets in many ways - you start out knowing very little but liking a bit of what you see or hear. After a while you become more particular and your tastes change - appreciation of some of the recognised fine pieces of music doesn't always come as it does with pop music ie. easy recognition that you like from the start, and I'm not making any sneering references to pop music here. Likewise with the markets: does anyone trade in the same way as they did when starting out 5 years previously? It just takes a bit of patience and exposure. Of course, beauty is always in the eye of the beholder but at the same you have to be wary of being too ready to ascribe "Emperor's New Clothes" syndrome.

My take with most art forms is that if large numbers of people feel it's good then it's probably got something going for it; I'll give it a try at least - sometimes the outcome can be surprising but very rarely counted as wasted. Having never had any formal art training myself I find the comments of those who have, enlightening.

?.............This in turn will feed your understanding and appreciation of it..............
Tim.

That may well be so, Tim, but it is enough for me that a painting stirs my emotions (a pseud's way of saying "like", lol) and I'm not really bothered about why that should be.

In the more modern camp Picasso and Kandinsky shout for attention as does Titian in the early classical. There are plenty of others but those three spring to mind immediately. I enjoy art in black and white terms - like, dislike - and happy to describe it in the same terms - like = great, dislike = rubbish.

Life is a beach...

WbePJkJ.jpg

Be careful how you use your beach art installation, Atilla. You could do yourself a serious injury.

That may well be so, Tim, but it is enough for me that a painting stirs my emotions (a pseud's way of saying "like", lol) and I'm not really bothered about why that should be.
Hi Jon,
Well, if all that you, Pat and others want is a thread that's devoid of any meaningful discussion about art, one that dismisses most modern art as rubbish, with the odd dusting of vaguely amusing images - that is of course fine. This is the Foyer after all. But, please accept that it's got sweet FA to do with art and, whilst there are many ways of describing the thread, "a celebration of the sublime" sure as hell ain't one of them! That's just my opinion of course and, in the spirit of the thread, I don't propose to support it with any kind of rationale or explanation. (See, I am learning!) Not that any is needed, as it ought to be pretty obvious to all and sundry.

On that note - I'll leave y'all to it - happy dissing folks!
Tim.

Hi Jon,
Well, if all that you, Pat and others want is a thread that's devoid of any meaningful discussion about art, one that dismisses most modern art as rubbish, with the odd dusting of vaguely amusing images - that is of course fine. This is the Foyer after all. But, please accept that it's got sweet FA to do with art and, whilst there are many ways of describing the thread, "a celebration of the sublime" sure as hell ain't one of them! That's just my opinion of course and, in the spirit of the thread, I don't propose to support it with any kind of rationale or explanation. (See, I am learning!) Not that any is needed, as it ought to be pretty obvious to all and sundry.

On that note - I'll leave y'all to it - happy dissing folks!
Tim.

I didn't suggest that, Tim. Pat was castigated for calling something rubbish without further explanation. I was coming in because I think he is entitled to express his opinion in that way.

He did say in his second post to post up pictures that took your fancy so it's not all about deep, analytical discussion. You can just enjoy the pics - here's a couple.

Attachments

• IMG_0713.JPG
    IMG_0713.JPG
    63.6 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_0712.JPG
    IMG_0712.JPG
    119 KB · Views: 116
Good riddance, never thought we'd get rid of him. :cheesy:

Although I agree with him, he does go on doesn't he. :p

There he is dumping on experts on the Brexit thread and heaping dollops on us over ear. Who needs experts when we have Pat.

Rock on Pat. Remember what dogs do all the time.

Timsk learn from the old masters. Geesh young upstarts these days really think they know it all don't they???

As for that Night Watchman I've seen that few meters away and it's HUGE. You really need to take 10 steps back to take it all in.

Now where were weeeeeeeeeeee??? :)

Last edited:
Now, now, Atilla. Hope your post was in jest because you're talking about one of the very good guys - albeit Brexit misguided :LOL:

Art... I thought these were the new bicycle parking facilities on Brighton beach paid for with council tax...in the eye of the beholder as they say...

That is an ingenious idea Swissy, you surely have an eye for abstract art. (y)

fwiw From my perspective this piece of art speaks volumes and it exemplifies debate on this thread.

Each is looking at the same piece of art and one sees pieces of rocks and the other nice piece of ass. It really depends on ones angle and approach.

:)

Last edited:
Now, now, Atilla. Hope your post was in jest because you're talking about one of the very good guys - albeit Brexit misguided :LOL:

Yes and I almost feel jealous of Pat. Of all the rotten things I may have said, never seen our Timsk so worked up.

Having said that it's good to see peeps having real passion and zest for their work. Top man. I sincerely have learnt more from him on subject matter of art than I did at school as I told him so. At school I only learnt how to sketch and paint. Just the mechanics.

Art is a different matter and this thread is helping my appreciation for sure. That goes for all contributions including the other misguided souls on Brexit.

I'm beginning to wonder if there is a correlation. :cheesy: