Are We All Living In The Matrix?

starspacer

You might find this thread uncomfortable. You will find many puzzling and unexplained things. By the end of the journey, you will have a deeper understanding of this world.

But first I must warn you, speaking about the Matrix is forbidden. The machines may detect us at any time. If this happens, I will terminate the discussion.

The Matrix is all around us. Think about what you do, see, smell, hear and the way you see the words on this screen. All are sensory experiences.

What if instead of giving you an apple, I gave you the sight, sound, smell, texture and taste of an apple? Wouldn’t that seem just like an apple to you? How would you know it wasn’t an apple?

Assume that I have created a perfect sensory duplication machine. I plug you in and suddenly you are in Athens in 399 BC and you are discussing the finer points of philosophy with Socrates. Imagine you fall asleep and then wake up. For a moment you don’t know if you’re in 399BC Athens or in a sensory duplication machine. The only way you know you are in the machine is that you remember that you were plugged in.

But how do you know you weren’t plugged in at birth? Do you think you could tell?

G-Man said:
Quiet day, starspacer?
I have achieved my trading targets for the year G-Man. All else is a bonus which will be given to my favourite charities. :)

starspacer said:
You might find this thread uncomfortable. You will find many puzzling and unexplained things. By the end of the journey, you will have a deeper understanding of this world.

But first I must warn you, speaking about the Matrix is forbidden. The machines may detect us at any time. If this happens, I will terminate the discussion.

The Matrix is all around us. Think about what you do, see, smell, hear and the way you see the words on this screen. All are sensory experiences.

What if instead of giving you an apple, I gave you the sight, sound, smell, texture and taste of an apple? Wouldn’t that seem just like an apple to you? How would you know it wasn’t an apple?

Assume that I have created a perfect sensory duplication machine. I plug you in and suddenly you are in Athens in 399 BC and you are discussing the finer points of philosophy with Socrates. Imagine you fall asleep and then wake up. For a moment you don’t know if you’re in 399BC Athens or in a sensory duplication machine. The only way you know you are in the machine is that you remember that you were plugged in.

But how do you know you weren’t plugged in at birth? Do you think you could tell?
It is absolutely guaranteed to make nearly everybody feel uncomfortable without them necessarily consciously knowing the reasons why., I prudently submit.

starspacer said:

And further, how do you know that all your trading decisions and actions are not made by the machines? Can you tell?

But how do you know you weren’t plugged in at birth? Do you think you could tell? [/QUOTE]

You must think of the purpose of life.

And the purposes communicated to you "the created".

Are the two consistient?

Sorry the above does not fit here it is another set of ideas that I am preparing to explore - sorry.

Last edited:
we need Socrates to post... lol :)

as for reaching trading targets for the year in february...pass me some of the Weetabix!

Congrats :)

I have achieved my trading targets for the year G-Man. All else is a bonus which will be given to my favourite charities.

Are these real targets or targets that a machine has made you perceive that you have achieved ? :)

Paul

You must think of the purpose of life.

And the purposes communicated to you "the created".

Are the two consistent?

There appears to be no purpose to it and if there is then nobody has communicated it to me, so that seems consistent..

One has to ask why the machines would bother creating a matrix for us, bearing in mind we'd cost more to feed than we'd produce in electricity, in energy terms. Perhaps they just have a well-developed sense of humour.

And if they were cunning snough to provide round-the-clock sensory 'evidence' (of a false external reality) of the first class quality that humans enjoy every waking moment, wouldn't they be able to disable the part of our brains that has the ability and wish to question the nature of this reality?

I'm with Johnson kicking a stone on this one, though it is fun to speculate.

What if instead of giving you an apple, I gave you the sight, sound, smell, texture and taste of an apple?

I'd prefer that to the nitrogen-stored unblemished depressingly uniform tastless malnutritious ****-poor carboard excuse for an apple usually available in your friendly local hypermarket.

frugi said:
There appears to be no purpose to it and if there is then nobody has communicated it to me, so that seems consistent..

You are right or wrong. What refutable ideas or conclusions can you draw for testing.

To avoid vacuum studies..testability of that ideas is a prerequisite.

We know what we know

starspacer said:

We know what we know. We know what they want us to know. We don't know what they do not want us to know. If we know we are in the Matrix, then we are either not in the Matrix or we are in a higher Matrix. If we know we are not in the Matrix, then we are either not in the Matrix or we are in a higher Matrix.

Simple really

Charlton

"But first I must warn you, speaking about the Matrix is forbidden. "

hmmmm , whats going on here in this thread?

who is going to hit delete to preserve this order.?

then again maybe we are just part of the machine that thinks, so it could be ok .all connected, if diffused somewhat.

Charlton said:
We know what we know.
Are you sure we 'know what we know'? What kind of test could you apply? Slapping yourself to see if it hurts? Does this prove you are not plugged into the sensory duplication machine? No it does not. Inside the machine, everything you do is replicated perfectly to produce exactly the same sensations as if you are not inside. If our experiences are exactly the same inside the machine as outside in the ‘real world’, there is no way you could tell if you were inside it or not.

Or is there?

starspacer said:
Are you sure we 'know what we know'? What kind of test could you apply? Slapping yourself to see if it hurts? Does this prove you are not plugged into the sensory duplication machine? No it does not. Inside the machine, everything you do is replicated perfectly to produce exactly the same sensations as if you are not inside. If our experiences are exactly the same inside the machine as outside in the ‘real world’, there is no way you could tell if you were inside it or not.

Or is there?
Yes there is.

I have achieved my trading targets for the year G-Man. All else is a bonus which will be given to my favourite charities.

I have achieved my charity targets for the year. All else is a bonus which will be given to my trading account.

starspacer said:

Or is there?

I know what I know and I also know what I don't know, because I am both within and without. Being without I can look at myself within. You cannot understand that I can be both within and without, for you are only within. When you attempt to look without you merely see the reflection of within. From without it is like one-way glass - I can see through from without, whereas you can only see the reflection from within.

But you cannot even see this message, this true message, which is the reality of that which is without. You might think that you can see it, but it is merely a sensory duplication of the true message or it may be an alternative to the true message.

dooh - dooh ....... dooh -dooh........dooh - dooh.......dooh - dooh

Charlton