Apply2WIN go green , get green , just do it .

Wind Farms & , how we feel about them.

• Wind Farm's are good, I like the look of it, yes even in my back yard.

Votes: 6 66.7%
  • No, a blot on our landscape, and i'd rather see it scorched first.

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • yes wind power, but way over there please.

Votes: 2 22.2%

• Total voters

Crap Buddist

Alrighty, heres that link I sniffed out, I mentioned in a thread, which one though I cannot remember , :) for the Low Carbon Buildings Programme .

Now i was gonna stick this in the Global warming thread but i think it merits it own shop window cos theres some real benefits on offer , this is the peoples chance to hoist their intentions on green issues by erecting a whopping big wind turbine next to your TV arial.

Neighbours, "How'd do you like them apples ?"

"Ohh ,I do like the sound of wind turbine blades in the morning, sswhoooom, sswhoooom, sswhoooom"

Fancy some solar power panels ? got young kids? well you've no need to go to spain anymore to catch some serious rays , double savings, more coinage for your local surely ?

Now a scalper may stand a better chance of winning one of these, but your going up against demon speed typists I expect....

They typically run out in the first 90 mins. 1st. working day of each month.

If anyone manages to bag one let us know why dont you.

http://www.lowcarbonbuildings.org.uk/home/

Remember

Apply2WIN go green , get green , just do it .

Now, please take time to fill out the poll, this one deals with Wind.

Last edited:
Wind turbines were shown to be insufficient on ITN news a few weeks ago.
Dissappointed householders had bought tehm from places like B&Q for around £1500 and were getting far less energy saving from them than the manufacturers adverts stated.

I've noticed the following with small wind turbines used to power/light road signs. It can be a very windy day, but the turbines hardly turn at all. Perhaps the wind has to be blowing from a certain & small ranging direction for them to work?

JTrader said:
Wind turbines were shown to be insufficient on ITN news a few weeks ago.
Dissappointed householders had bought tehm from places like B&Q for around £1500 and were getting far less energy saving from them than the manufacturers adverts stated.

I've noticed the following with small wind turbines used to power/light road signs. It can be a very windy day, but the turbines hardly turn at all. Perhaps the wind has to be blowing from a certain & small ranging direction for them to work?

Yeah I think you need to assess your own situation for suitability. And if you dont fancy wind energy, why not bag some solar panels . I'm fortunate to be on a plot thats elevated and near water . So wind power i think, should be o.k. up my end, so to speak. :|

Last edited:
Crap Buddist said:
Yeah I think you need to assess your own situation for suitability. And if you dont fancy wind energy, why not bag some solar panels .

It makes me suspiscious when govt. start giving things away.

What do they want in return?

I prefer solar power to wind power.
Solar power doesn't kill birds flying into the turbine, and solar farms are maybe easier to build than wind farms - I'd imagine.

JTrader said:
It makes me suspiscious when govt. start giving things away.

What do they want in return?

Well, I think they are trying to push forward greener alternatives, the grants are being snapped up, maybe they want to monitor pro's and con's .

No catch as I understand it, but im going off the headlines.

JTrader said:
I prefer solar power to wind power.
Solar power doesn't kill birds flying into the turbine, and solar farms are maybe easier to build than wind farms - I'd imagine.

Hey if a few London pigeons get chopped up I won't mind.

Sadly there are a few of problems with solar panels (believe you me I am in favour of it):

1. The lack of sun here in Britain - although that could very well change (ahem!)
2. The fact that you need loads and loads of these to generate energy
3. They are damn expensive
4. The 'footprint' to manufacture these things is high
5. You can;t store the energy it generates, unless you use batteries - and these have a life-span and are made from nasty toxic metals, which normally gets chucked into landfills

A turbine can at least be fixed, if a solar panel shatters, it is useless.

If we are talking about just warming up water, which is what domestic solar panels seem to get used for, then a geo-thermal approach is perhaps a better alternative, and doesn't change the landscape much in the process.

If we are talking about reducing carbon emissions quickly then Nuclear power is available now - not a popular choice, but is better than burining any fuels no matter how clean they are claimed to be. Even Dr Leakey (can;t seem to get his name spelt correctly), the well respected conservationist from Kenya thinks this is the most sensible approach as it is immediate, and doesn't ponder on what might be possible in the future, but what can be done today.

I do not think traditional Nukes are a good idea. Like any technology it has evolved over the past 60 years and there are so called 'clean' nukes available like pebble bed reactors. See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pebble_bed_reactor for more information.

Sadly PBR's are not being used mainly because of politics. The politics of installing small, cheap, nukes in developing nations....

I believe it is threat to American national security if Rwanda has a PBR in its backgarden - although by its very design the fuel and waste from the fuel could never be turned into a bomb. Sellafield alone produces something like 1.5 tonnes of plutonium a year.

I suspect the politics of a PBR is more to do with a misunderstanding of the technology (green lobby against), and the politics of economics as it will result in less gas, coal and oil being burnt (bought).

Of course alternatives must be developed and will be. Tidal energy is a good one, maybe the eggheads can get fusion right, but these things aren;t here now, so all we can do in the meantime is buy energy from renewable source to ensure those grids expand, and buy into panels and turbines for the home... or do we?