API programming

Indeed!
(One who, in the darkest hours of the night, wonders why the chap who giggles incessantly and marks his charts up with a blunt red crayon seems to make better trades than you....) Programming will always give you something to do when you're sulking because the market doesn't do what you predicted.

I was just looking for a way to lose money without having even having to press the mouse button!

Itchy trigger finger

I received my book on learning how to programme at the weekend and spent many a hour reading and becoming bewildered, understanding a bit, then becoming even more confused.

I suffer from a horrible tendancy of imaptience and trying to be one step ahead of myself/my methods/the market and this is not financially rewarding.

I know I said I want to learn this all myself and be the one to implement the API strats but I have a feeling by the time I learn I may have wiped my account by 'thinking' too much and having a bad lack of discipline and impatience/boredom.

Is there anyone or anywhere that can set up an API on my behalf? Until I learn it would be good to have something in place.

Any suggestions appreciated...

chrisw

Hey, don't give up yet ! Books are hard to get to grips with unless you start creating a sample application. Which language did you eventually go for ? VB is probably more "fun" than the others (if you call programming fun). I'm sure that there are people that can help you with an API, which broker are you thinking of doing this for ?

rog1111

chrisw said:
I received my book on learning how to programme at the weekend and spent many a hour reading and becoming bewildered, understanding a bit, then becoming even more confused.

I suffer from a horrible tendancy of imaptience and trying to be one step ahead of myself/my methods/the market and this is not financially rewarding.

I know I said I want to learn this all myself and be the one to implement the API strats but I have a feeling by the time I learn I may have wiped my account by 'thinking' too much and having a bad lack of discipline and impatience/boredom.

Is there anyone or anywhere that can set up an API on my behalf? Until I learn it would be good to have something in place.

Any suggestions appreciated...

Patience is a virtue... Allegedly

rog1111 said:
chrisw

Hey, don't give up yet ! Books are hard to get to grips with unless you start creating a sample application. Which language did you eventually go for ? VB is probably more "fun" than the others (if you call programming fun). I'm sure that there are people that can help you with an API, which broker are you thinking of doing this for ?

rog1111

Don't worry, I am not giving up, far from it, I am just starting to realise the size of the task ahead of me and trying to cope with my eager finger... With hope, studying will keep me from getting bored and impatient and pressing the button when I shouldn't..

I opted for VB in the end as it seemed easier, more 'fun' and widely used... As for broker, it will be Oanda or IB, not 100% decided yet.

It just bugs me to review the prior day and see that had I followed my rules (API) it sould have been a perfectly good day but I can get bored quickly and start thinking and seeing patterns that don't exist etc...

Chrisw,

I would think that linking to the API is the easy bit. The complexity may well lie in the rules that you use to signal a trade and indeed how many stocks/indices/currencies you wish to monitor.

I earn my living trading UK stocks Monday through Friday and in the evenings/weekends and when the market is dull writing software for myself and other traders.

In fact I am in the process of writing a system for a trader which incorporates monitoring the SETS order book for selected stocks and automatically placing a trade on the order book given a set of circumstances.

I can certainly program a system for you, but without wishing to appear mercenary, it would not be free of charge.

If I can be of assistance then please email me.

Must... keep... going...

Hi Paul,

Decided to go with VB in the end as it looked to be the easiest and commonly used.

Qwento,

The rules themselves are for one currency pair and are in themself, very simple, but knowing how to write them is the issue...

I shall carry on learnign and trading simultaiously regardless as the studying is stopping me from pressing the button when I shouldn't be and it is starting to make sense... slowly!

Cheers for the input all,

Chris

Thanks for the info on this thread.

Are VB, Java, C++ and C# all as quick as each other? I want to change from Excel due to speed

It depends upon what you want to do but I believe that C++ is the fastest although JonnyT would know for definite.

Paul

Whilst C++ is likely the fastest, the difference isn't that much nowadays above Java for most Apps.

Java is absolutely fine and more stable for a trading App due to its memory management.

I use Java.

JonnyT