Any Java or C++ Programmers?

rog1111 said:
(from Oanda's website - API)

"Pricing

OANDA will charge a license fee of USD $600 for the Library, after which the customer is entitled to two free months of use. Monthly fees of USD $600 will commence following this two month period, discounted by USD $50 for each USD $1M in trading volume generated on the account. Note that a monthly volume of USD $12M would entitle the customer to free API use. "

Seems a bit steep, hopefully with autotrading you'd quickly reach the $12m threshold.

rog1111
I'm sure someone will hurt themselves but... the following was on oandas bb. Basically both sides of the pair contribute to your 12 million, haven't done the sums but appears feasable...
eurdkk = buy 1 m, then sell 1 m, 5 times. assuming eurusd = 1.20? or $240 usd total spread?
So you can have it for a third of the price if your completely barmy

knorrie said:
Have a look at www.fxengines.com.

You can register for free which gives you full access to their backtesting, live-testing and public trading systems. If your system really is simple you may be lucky and find something similar already on there which you could copy and modify to suit your needs. If you can describe your system as a set of clear and unambiguous rules in English you should be able to express it in their language once you have studied a few examples (and by the way if you can't the best coder in the world with Oanda's API and C++/Java isn't going to help you either).

You can simulate your system live against real FXCM prices, get e-mails of the simulated trade entries/exits, check performance etc. all for free. To actually trade for real you need to open an account with FXCM through them (mini or full-size), and they charge 1 pip commission. You'll need to figure out if this would work out better for you than the Oanda deal.

What I like about this system is that it is hosted on their servers, so doesn't depend on your PC or internet connection - a particular issue for me as we get a power cut pretty much every other week where I live.

Disclaimer - while I have registered and played around with this I haven't opened a trading account so have no experience of actual trading live with them or FXCM.

KenN

well said Knorrie, and i entirely agree. this is the avenue i am currently exploring.

the only drawback is the price.. whilst there is no monthly fee, they add on 1 pip per trade. which means an effective spread of 5 pips on cable, possibly more. this is a major factor, and limits the number of systems and instruments one can trade. Hopefully they might introduce a slightly fairer pricing policy in due course as they gain in popularity.

in addition, they only have a limited number of indicators available, and we all know how pants they are. So it is breakout swing trading all the way for me, until they add the more useful indicators eg Bollinger Bands.

fc

VB6 vs VB.net

Paul

This is what IB have to say about it :

"New Visual Basic.NET Test Client

As both Visual Basic.NET source code, and in compiled executable form, API 8.5 contains a Visual Basic.NET test client. This new application was ported from the previously existing and now deprecated Visual Basic 6.0 test client, and communicates with TWS via the API Beta 8.5 ActiveX control. It has two significant advantages over the Visual Basic 6.0 test client, they being more efficient display of level 2 market depth data, and the ability to receive the new openOrder4 event. When consuming 20 rows of level 2 market depth data, Visual Basic.NET has been found to be markedly more efficient than Visual Basic 6.0, even when Visual Basic 6.0 is in compiled form. During that scenario, Visual Basic.NET typically consumed about 1/4 as much CPU to process the same information and display almost three times more of it as real-time updates.

Given this significant gain in efficiency, as well as the ability to receive openOrder4 events, it is strongly recommended that Visual Basic 6.0 API applications be upgraded to Visual Basic.NET. As Microsoft describes on its Microsoft Developers Network website in an article called “Preparing Your Visual Basic 6.0 Applications for the Upgrade to Visual Basic .NET,” Visual Basic.NET has an Upgrade Wizard that will read a Visual Basic 6.0 project and do most of the work necessary to upgrade it to Visual Basic.NET. Once the wizard has completed, only small further modifications should be necessary to complete the upgrade. For more details see:

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/library/en-us/dnvb600/html/vb6tovbdotnet.asp"

......food for thought ?

Roger

Roger,

Thanks, I did think that it would not be long before VB.Net became more accepted for this sort of application.

Paul