Any Java or C++ Programmers?

damianoakley

Established member
Hi All,

I currently trade EUR/USD on 5 min charts via Oanda.

My trading system is very simple (in my view), but it involves many hours sitting at the computer monitoring my positions.

As a result, I have been investigating the API interface provided by Oanda with the intention of programming my system into the API, so that my entries and exits can be made throughout the day with me checking on it periodically, instead of spending 8-10 hours straight at the computer.

The API interface provided by Oanda requires extensive knowledge of Java or C++ and I have no ability to program in either language.

My intention therefore is potentially to hire the skills of a programmer with whom I could work fairly closely to achieve my aim of an automated trading system.

Does anyone on Trade2win have this level of programming expertise?

I must stress at this stage, I am merely putting out my feelers. I intend to work closely with ONE programmer only - someone who I get on with and feel I can trust.

We would eventually need to meet to discuss this in some detail.

Any replies to this would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Damian

You do know about the fees that Oanda charges for the API acces, of course you get it free when your volumes traded are bigger
One should look into automating a clear system that leaves litlle place to discretion or it will produce unwanted results or even make some real damage to your account.
Considering you got a good system that can be put on auto-trading should check Oanda's forum to see how much of an investment the programming would be, it's been debated on older threads how much should one charge, if it's going to be an hourly rate or a per project one; also be carefull and include some sort of post production support in the agreement as problems can occur .
If you need more information feel free to send me a pm. :arrowr:

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I am well aware of the Oanda API costs - I expect to be doing enough trades per month to deal with this fee.

Also, my trading system is non-discretionary, completely rule-based, and very simple.

My guess is that an able programmer should have few problems in setting it up for me.

Due to the lack of replies i've had to my post, I can conclude one of the following:

1) The weekend is the wrong time to post a request like this

2) No body is interested

If there are any capable programmers out there, please do make contact - I would be most grateful for a short discussion.

Many Thanks

Damian Oakley

I can help you out, but i don't live in the Uk and a face to face meeting would be difficult, if you are willing to outsource your project and do this mostly over the internet drop me a line. We have experience in both C++ and Java apps, so the coding won't be a problem.
regards.

Daimian,

Your best bet might be to try a US coder who does this type of pogramming for a living.
Try the elite trader board.

I would also recommend you get your system backtested properly and make sure it can
beat transaction costs and slippage before coding it.

Thanks for that.

The system is one that I operate profitably at the moment - so it has been both back-tested and forward-tested.

Incidentally - what is the reason you recommend trying a US coder? - do you not think there is anyone in the UK who could do it?

It was only that you are better off finding some one who does this for a living, i dont think its viable
for anyone in the UK to do this type of work for a living so such people dont exist here.

Thats not to say you wont find part timers in the UK, i and others on this board (its full of IT contractors) could do the work for you, however im way to busy doing a full time day job to be able to assit you at a resonable cost/quality in my spare time.

Get a US programmer to do this? Ahhhh a good laugh indeed. If you want something done badly, not to spec, make sure its so slow as to be unusable and come with absolutely no documentation then be my guest. I'd stay with someone from the UK personally who at the very least I can meet face to face.

I must admit, I would prefer if possible to find someone UK-based.

ANY TAKERS ON THIS BOARD?

Cheers

Damian

There was a trader/programmer who posted (maybe still does) on T2W who did exactly what you want. Can't remember who it was though. Maybe search the boards, they had a link to their web site in their personal profile, they were UK based too. Thought I'd saved the web address but I can't find it...sorry.

Always forget to check those - thanks ewilcox..............will read and reply soon.

Many Thanks

Damian

Hi Damian

If you're prepared to look at ActiveX/VB as an alternative, then I will be able to assist you. Compiled VB is very nearly as fast as C++, and for live trading, line speeds and exchange execution times are the main sources of delay, not the program speed, which is blindingly fast. The reason I stick to VB not the others is the speed of development and inherent programming flexibility, and at this stage I see no reason to switch.

I have some sample apps available as examples if you wish.

Please PM or email me if this is of any interest.

Regards
rog1111

damianoakley said:
I must admit, I would prefer if possible to find someone UK-based.

ANY TAKERS ON THIS BOARD?

Cheers

Damian

Hi Paul

I prefer VB6, but try to write it so that it's compatible with a VB.NET environment. How about you ?

Roger

Trader333 said:
rog111,

Do you use VB.NET or VB 6 ?

Paul

Roger,

I have both but am leaning towards to VB.NET nowdays although VB 6 is easier in my view.

PAul

damianoakley said:
Hi All,

I currently trade EUR/USD on 5 min charts via Oanda.

My trading system is very simple (in my view), but it involves many hours sitting at the computer monitoring my positions.

As a result, I have been investigating the API interface provided by Oanda with the intention of programming my system into the API, so that my entries and exits can be made throughout the day with me checking on it periodically, instead of spending 8-10 hours straight at the computer.

The API interface provided by Oanda requires extensive knowledge of Java or C++ and I have no ability to program in either language.

My intention therefore is potentially to hire the skills of a programmer with whom I could work fairly closely to achieve my aim of an automated trading system.

Does anyone on Trade2win have this level of programming expertise?

I must stress at this stage, I am merely putting out my feelers. I intend to work closely with ONE programmer only - someone who I get on with and feel I can trust.

We would eventually need to meet to discuss this in some detail.

Any replies to this would be gratefully received.

Many Thanks

Damian

Hi Damian, check this out.
http://www.interactivebrokers.com/en/software/tools/consultants.php?ib_entity=uk

Thank you for all replies so far.

To rog1111:

I personally don't mind what language the program is written in - it's all foreign to me because i'm a trader not a programmer - just as long as the final code does the job I want it to.

Looking at Oanda's API information page, i'm not sure if they allow any other languages other than Java or C++, so would need to check this out.

Many Thanks

Damian

(from Oanda's website - API)

"Pricing

OANDA will charge a license fee of USD $600 for the Library, after which the customer is entitled to two free months of use. Monthly fees of USD $600 will commence following this two month period, discounted by USD $50 for each USD $1M in trading volume generated on the account. Note that a monthly volume of USD $12M would entitle the customer to free API use. "

Seems a bit steep, hopefully with autotrading you'd quickly reach the $12m threshold.

rog1111

Have a look at www.fxengines.com.

You can register for free which gives you full access to their backtesting, live-testing and public trading systems. If your system really is simple you may be lucky and find something similar already on there which you could copy and modify to suit your needs. If you can describe your system as a set of clear and unambiguous rules in English you should be able to express it in their language once you have studied a few examples (and by the way if you can't the best coder in the world with Oanda's API and C++/Java isn't going to help you either).

You can simulate your system live against real FXCM prices, get e-mails of the simulated trade entries/exits, check performance etc. all for free. To actually trade for real you need to open an account with FXCM through them (mini or full-size), and they charge 1 pip commission. You'll need to figure out if this would work out better for you than the Oanda deal.

What I like about this system is that it is hosted on their servers, so doesn't depend on your PC or internet connection - a particular issue for me as we get a power cut pretty much every other week where I live.

Disclaimer - while I have registered and played around with this I haven't opened a trading account so have no experience of actual trading live with them or FXCM.

KenN