Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Screenshot_16.png

U.S.A. - Powell speaks at virtual Jackson Hole meeting **
- A noted in the week ahead, Powell open this year's meeting with a speech on the Fed's policy framework review. which will doubtless wax lyrical about allowing overshoots on both inflation and employment targets, above all after protracted undershoots - in other words applying a longer run average to its inflation target. To be sure, markets will like and react postively to any talk about allowing such overshoots, 'whatever it takes' and allowing the economy to 'run hot', even if any mention of the current economic outlook will hardly be upbeat (even arch hawk Esther George talked about 'double dip recession risks rising' yesterday!). Frankly this misses the key point: the Fed's key policy metric is 'financial conditions' and it has been for more than 5 years, inflation and jobs metrics are little more than 'lipstick on a pig', or rhetorical roadkill. Unfortunately the metrics for tight and loose 'financial conditions' are all market based metrics, and are thus primarily about market volatility, and have precisely nothing to do with credit availability on 'Main Street' (as is the case with other G7 central banks). It effectively applies an asymmetric bias to policy, and makes tightening policy very difficult, and even easing back on stimulus measures. This is a trap of central banks' own making, and this has led us down the path to 'outright monetary financing', even if that is denied by central banks, who totemize 'financial stability' as a (or rather 'the') justification for their actions, whereby financial stability really means that nothing of any size within the financial sector can be allowed to fail - in other words a quasi permafrost of zombification. This in turn appeases the Pavlovian, and yet also inordinately financial repressed spirits of financial markets, building an ever big chasm between their performance and economic reality, which at some point (not necessarily soon) be narrowed.

From Marc Ostwald

I swear Sir Canta of the house T2W wrote that !

I swear Sir Canta of the house T2W wrote that !
Muad-Dib rules:)
He Did.....
Canta.....Collect your P45 from Sharky

Zounds Sirrah! I am undone...

....aksherly, I had wondered how our freund Marc was making his moolah, as there seemed to be far more words than deeds involved in his chosen business model...very much like mesen, as you have churlish pointed out for all to see. In my own case, I have never pretended to be anything other than a mere dilettante of the markets. Fortunately, as my trading profits are mostly accidental and erratic, I do occasionally get some paltry remuneration for my scribblings elsewhere even if I can't claim ghost writing for M.O to be my m.o ....

...and DF: you must try and keep up - the self-employed don't have P45s, we have P60s to make us miserable - or is that too long in the past for you to remember:p