Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Despite the latent threats, the oil fall, the fall of the euro, the ECB’s decision to apply the quantitative easing program in the Eurozone and the allocation of global investors are critical factors that have contributed to the good performance of European markets. European economies are the main beneficiaries of the oil price fall (reduces production costs and increases the disposable income of consumers) and euro devaluation (improves competitiveness in foreign markets for European companies). To help is also the good results (in relative terms) of European companies.

You see my shorts here - long way to go... I still don't know what would be the best thing to do

So let me get this right, you basically let some 300+ pips of profit get completely eroded and transformed into a 700 point loss... didn't you consider getting out at any point whatsoever whilst still in profit?

Set some targets in future, i.e. "I'll be happy with 50 points, so I'll set a trailing stop loss when i'm 50 points up." or "I don't want to lose *any* money so I'll move my stop loss to breakeven at the earliest opportunity."

Of course silly me, I'm guessing you never had a stop loss to start with, right?

Demo accounts are there for a reason dude, use them!

So let me get this right, you basically let some 300+ pips of profit get completely eroded and transformed into a 700 point loss... didn't you consider getting out at any point whatsoever whilst still in profit?

Set some targets in future, i.e. "I'll be happy with 50 points, so I'll set a trailing stop loss when i'm 50 points up." or "I don't want to lose *any* money so I'll move my stop loss to breakeven at the earliest opportunity."

Of course silly me, I'm guessing you never had a stop loss to start with, right?

Demo accounts are there for a reason dude, use them!

Things got out of control in one hour and in one evening - Sl were not on so I hoped Dow will get back down a bit before moving forward which never did. I wish I had as much knowledge as I have now. I joined this site and forum when got myself in trouble to get some assistance and learn more about trading. I had just learned to start using trendlines and poorly that time when i made those stupid mistakes with no any strategy. I'm looking to save as much as possible at the moment to have a new start..

I have to say... if you are new in the trading..."When to get out of a trade" is probably the toughest of all call....and most of the people don't learn when to get out.... some learn after many slaps and few learns after a serious hurts and wound…

Getting in trade is the simplest of all...

If it looked like I was having a go I apologise, this is a tricky game for sure.

If I had to give just *one* piece of advice I would say it's to ensure your account is *capitalised to the maximum possible*, more often than not (and if you have the balls) you can ride out the worst of a ****ty trade such as this and live to trade another day.

Which broker are you using?

Things got out of control in one hour and in one evening - Sl were not on so I hoped Dow will get back down a bit before moving forward which never did. I wish I had as much knowledge as I have now. I joined this site and forum when got myself in trouble to get some assistance and learn more about trading. I had just learned to start using trendlines and poorly that time when i made those stupid mistakes with no any strategy. I'm looking to save as much as possible at the moment to have a new start..

most people use trend lines wrong. Look up DeMark trendlines

If it looked like I was having a go I apologise, this is a tricky game for sure.

If I had to give just *one* piece of advice I would say it's to ensure your account is *capitalised to the maximum possible*, more often than not (and if you have the balls) you can ride out the worst of a ****ty trade such as this and live to trade another day.

Which broker are you using?

Not at all, thanks for advice. Markets.com - MT4

@Nakotrade

Many times last year I was certain of market direction, but as is often the way it went against me. I would then "average down" hoping that it would all come good in the end, it mostly didn't and I ended up running out of capital with a depressing margin call alert.

...what was the worst of all, once I had closed the trade(s), the market went in my favour about 5 minutes later and I would have ultimately cleaned up and then some! grrrr

Basically there is a proven tendency for (especially male) traders to not to want to cut/realise their losses (and admit they have made a mistake), thus we tend to let losers run - like you have in the instance of these DOW shorts.

This is where hedging may help you... if you do it right.

My novice explanation of hedging (someone can correct me if I'm wrong) is basically protecting a position from further loss, in your case having two trades one running in either direction at the same time - i.e. +£n/point on the DOW and -£n/point on the DOW.

i.e.

You place a trade +£n/point and it goes wrong and your latent gain is now -£100, not good!

Your options are to either a) kill the trade (which as we know is hard to do) or b) you could hedge against it hoping that in X minutes time it'll come back the other way or c) wait and end up with a margin call.

So basically at the very moment where you ultimately think about *cutting the trade*, at that very point instead of killing the position just place a hedging -£n/point trade (it will cost you the spread alone), so at the worst you're not going to lose any more moular.

If the market starts moving back in favour of your first position, then who cares - you were going to cut the position anyway so it just cost you a little extra spread.

If the market keeps on moving the opposite direction to your trade, then you put a stop loss on your hedge at breakeven, now as soon as the market starts to correct and come back the other way it'll stop your hedge out and from here onwards hopefully your losses from your original position will start being reduced and just maybe you'll be lucky and come out with a profit. This is one (very roundabout) way of maybe reducing losing trades, and thus keeping your sanity/ego intact.

Practice the above on a demo account and/or speak to Markets.com and check that their platform allows hedging trades in the first instance.

...sometimes creating a hedging position can be said to be getting rid of one problem, and then giving yourself another, so it's a tricky call when to cut a position and when to hedge.

My 2 pence!

There is absolutely NO difference in hedging trade 100% and closing a trade.
If it goes against you close it.
If your psychology doesn't permit/allow you to close and accept that loss (which is often the case in the early stages of learning trading), then at the very least it buys breathing space to think about your situation and you learn... how to hedge! :)

I have a 0.5 short position at Dax (exp June) @ 10027 back before they announced the ECB QE so I have ~ 1000 pip loss. II was thinking of killing my position, since the Dax might not go back to 10000 cos QE is starting soon in March. I would be margin called if Dax heads to 12300 by June.

At the risk of incurring the wrath of @postman ... :)

I had a EURUSD short position (June expiry) running for most of January, sometimes in profit sometimes out of profit. When the market was moving against me, I 100% hedged it, set a £n point limit, closed the trading window and walked away. Ultimately it was a no stress trade as I couldn't "lose any more" and at worst I was "locked out of gaining more profit" given the sine wave that all markets tend to run I ended up making more on the active hedging against the overall trend of the position than on the final short trade itself.

There is no such thing as absolutely right or dead wrong in this game, hedging against long running trends i.e. "the stock market going UP" being a fairly well known trend is just another trading strategy IMO.

My check list before pulling the trigger, Stop loss on YES, Limit Order on YES, RR in place YES = TRADE.

Makes life easier as I know my potential loss and profit before I pull the trigger.

Hedging is not a bad thing if understood correctly and learned perfectly “where, when and how to “ apply.

This is a complicated process when many scenarios need to be considered and target or goal needs to be calculated beforehand.
People in the industry have been using for years now and many companies do not even trade without hedging in place. Hedging is very common practice in financial industry.

This is where the tricky bit comes in the picture "When to use hedging" and what is the goal? The goal is always on case by case basis and each time can be completely different.

Having said that, hedging in day trading doesn't makes much sense as objective in day trading is to realize profit or loss same day.

Moreover, in day trading market moves so fast that, probably you would not have time to make hedging strategy for your trade.

Hedging is perfectly suited for swing or long terms trades and it is wise to hedge your trade (with an objective) in such cases.