Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

A contributor to this thread recommend I look in and see what I was missing, currently being a forex trader - and not making any money doing it. Just pulled up the FTSE 15min chart (and the DAX for that matter) and they look just as slack as (and even more spiky than) most forex pairs. Do the indices suffere from the same apparent summer doldrums as other asset classes?

I just don't get how summer (in the Northern hemisphere) can be the driver for virtually all financial trade to decrease to such painful levels. I appreciate 2014 has been a disappointing year simply because it failed to confirm the strong moves in 2013 that were touted as presaging the move out of global recession, but really, does all major commercial and professional and institutional interest simply die away in the summer - nothing gets transacted? I find it quite difficult to believe finance is seasonal to such a significant extent.

I could better believe that it was the new status quo in that global commerce has dropped off a cliff and this is how it is now - not just for the summer and as traders, we might as well come back on 5 years or 10 years after the global economy has picked up again.

Well in late July through August most firms will see a lot of staff leave the office for holidays. Most people take 2 weeks off and obviously staff numbers will be low. There is also the point that many large firms will turn off some algorithms and black boxes that market make which is why you see such a reduction in volume.

If you know the markets will be quiet, and your main competitors and half your staff will all be away, then why stay behind to play with the retail traders? Of course anything to do with physical business will continue (oil shipments, mergers etc) but even that quietens down.

Reactions: 2be
Mario Draghi v Janet Yellen in Jackson Twelve 3 min rounds

Currency moving more than the markets in Asia today.
Mario Draghi in Jackson.
Could he deliver in the speech in Jackson that's see him delver from the words spoken about 18 months ago we will do anything.
Guess it would see the DAX gap 200 points higher on Monday.

Started a new thread would be great to get the views from the traders on the FTSE thread.
No fighting.:LOL:

http://www.trade2win.com/boards/psy...190426-focus-money-mangement.html#post2378820

Last edited by a moderator:
ss 9401
10 point stop

suicide, really. Magnet at ES 2k today will likely drag it all UP

Attachments

• dax.jpg
    dax.jpg
    60.8 KB · Views: 71
lexcorp - what is it that motivates you into selling short into what looks to me like an upward trending instrument? If it's not too much of a trade secret, what inds (if any) are you using?

I can see what look like three EMAs on it, and I think I would understand buying the bounces off it in an upward direction, but I'm guessing there's a bit more to it than that.

lexcorp - what is it that motivates you into selling short into what looks to me like an upward trending instrument? If it's not too much of a trade secret, what inds (if any) are you using?

You're new here; Don't be fooled by a couple of good trades. I wouldn't advise listening to me!
However:
Don't really use 'indicators' as such. Only a couple of ones I made myself that alert me to situations rather than being a derivative of price.
First trade was anti-trend as you say (although trend depends on your bar interval I guess).
Looked to me like they just took all of the stops at the previous highs and then had nothing left to take it any higher and dropped off where I shorted.
2nd trade,you could argue that the intraday trend had turned down. Made a 50% retrace, it all seemed to be slowing down and I shorted again.

You'll see lots of realtime losers from me too if you go back over all my posts!
Unfortunately I think most of the good traders who I hoped to learn from have gone (shakone, wallstreetwarrior etc)
(Not that I think they ever intended to actually teach anyone, but I enjoyed their posts)

BUT you have improved really well since you changed strategy, i think most on here have applauded the change............:clap:

Thanks for the info lexcorp. And thanks for the candid disclosure. I thought there was more experiential stuff involved in your process than just what was on the charts. But I'll lurk awhile anyhow and ask the occasional stupid question.

hovering over mouse there for long at 35.
Not gonna risk profits made but think probably nice longs in this area