Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

IG Index clients with open short positions
- dow 80%
- ftse 85%
- dax 65%

what gives

This isnt good news market will try and squeeze people out, although i am one of those people with short Dax and Dow positions ! (y)

traders may target thursday dow opening gap.

Cable getting murdered on pathetic UK economy and FTSE is still ramping, i never normally trade the FTSE but its getting shorted ASAP !

6160 sold ! YOOOOOURS !

Last edited:
Cable getting murdered on pathetic UK economy and FTSE is still ramping, i never normally trade the FTSE but its getting shorted ASAP !

6160 sold ! YOOOOOURS !

FTSE spike to 6160 caused by 80/85% of IG clients trying to cover shorts

6160 sold ! YOOOOOURS !

Talbs - I would be cautious about believing there is a link between cable and the FTSE. The FTSE doesn't have a lot to do with the UK any more. Just because cable is selling off doesn't mean FTSE will. The FTSE is taking its lead from the Dow which is making 5 year highs. As with cable, it's maybe too late to get in on this drop, but maybe if it retraces to 159.60 I would consider a short if the level holds.

people wanting to short FTSE may want to check out charts of some big FTSE100 stocks,

HSBA
RDSA
VOD
GSK

Talbs - I would be cautious about believing there is a link between cable and the FTSE. The FTSE doesn't have a lot to do with the UK any more. Just because cable is selling off doesn't mean FTSE will. The FTSE is taking its lead from the Dow which is making 5 year highs. As with cable, it's maybe too late to get in on this drop, but maybe if it retraces to 159.60 I would consider a short if the level holds.

Sure, i understand this but, that isnt the reason im shorting the ftse it was really just something else i have been doing. I know all these markets are making 5 yr highs etc, i was long all day yesterday, i just think its time they took a breather, i certainly wouldnt be buying it up here thats for sure, ive got my levels so lets see what happens, i dont really trade FTSE but ive had a great week, so IMO its worth a punt !

this is FTSE Jan options

SD I need a bit of options 101 here. Firstly, thanks for the screenshot of the call and put numbers for January. Where did you get that table from ?

I take it that the strike price is the FTSE cash at 10:15am, and not the Futures price. Secondly, if that is the case the FTSE cash was 6167 at the close of 10:14:59, so all of the put options from 5875 to 6150 expired worthless.

Does that mean that all of the call options from 5875 to 6150 expired in the money and the writer of those calls had to pay up to the value of that call option. ie the guy that wrote the call option to sell the FTSE cash at 5875 had to honour that option and pay up the difference between 5875 and 6167?

If you take it that all of the calls between 5875 and 6150 expired with the writer of the calls paying money, and the writer of the put pocketing the premium, there were 106528 calls against 92466 puts. So there were more calls than puts at expiry which should mean that there were more people looking for protection against rising prices than those looking for protection against falling prices.

What I am hoping is that you can look at these charts prior to expiry and get some kind of idea as to where the price might head into expiry. I have a feeling that someone has tried to do this before and discovered that there was no correlation, so all of my waffle may be for nothing. However, I would add that as I was watching the price action into 10:15 am on the futures market, it was quite clear that someone wanted the price to close at highs at expiry, and maybe there was some way to predict that in advance.