Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Morning all. What averages are you using splitlink? I'm using 8, 21 and 34 on a 5 min chart (you can see I'm a fibonacci fan) ;-)

4 and 12 on 30 min. All reference points for entry are what I consider to be attractive. I don't use pivots or fibs because they are no better, or worse, than my own.

ftse 4.35pm close = Dow 12,757

Dow = FTSE * 2.3234

when the ftse is closing i put a 50min moving average on a 1min dow/ftse chart to get the ratio. the level of the 50ma on the 1min chart i compare the two ma's to get ratio

the spread function in some charting platforms does this for you.

Last edited:
ftse 4.35pm close = Dow 12,757

Dow = FTSE * 2.3234

when the ftse is closing i put a 50min moving average on a 1min dow/ftse chart to get the ratio. the level of the 50ma on the 1min chart i compare the two ma's to get ratio

Thanks for that SD. I run a relative strength chart so it calcs the ratio continually. Well I think it does.
I also plot the spread using a 2:1 ratio, that way I can see the +/- strength in points. The ratio I would use if I traded them as a pair, similar to what Barjon does.

Thanks for that SD. I run a relative strength chart so it calcs the ratio continually. Well I think it does.
I also plot the spread using a 2:1 ratio, that way I can see the +/- strength in points. The ratio I would use if I traded them as a pair, similar to what Barjon does.

the ftse has been very weak compared to dow/sp500. IG has some differential spreads which is dow minus ftse.

The dow/sp500 are very strong almost maximum bullish reading for tuesday(todays trading) which usually leads to solid but modest up closes.

That happens with averages whuich is why I prefer the 30M. But that, too, is not free from whipsaw. Apart from averages I use Bollingers, which give extreme levels around the average. When the Bollingers start coming together that indicates a sideways trend starting. . Shorting and buying on Bollingers helps to get the timing better during whipsaws. Nothing is perfect, however.

That happens with averages whuich is why I prefer the 30M. But that, too, is not free from whipsaw. Apart from averages I use Bollingers, which give extreme levels around the average. When the Bollingers start coming together that indicates a sideways trend starting. . Shorting and buying on Bollingers helps to get the timing better during whipsaws. Nothing is perfect, however.

Splitlink have u loked at using the centreline between the bollingers as a line to go long/short on the cross?

I use bollingers too in fact I bough the book "Bollinger on Bollinger bands" by John Bollinger. Bit of a dry read but worth it just for the stuff on the squeeze.

On perfection:

Ring the bells that still can ring
Forget your perfect offering.
There is a crack in everything,
That's how the light gets in.
~Leonard Cohen

Splitlink have u loked at using the centreline between the bollingers as a line to go long/short on the cross?

Mate, I'll tell you! :) At my age, I've looked at them all!

Isn't the centre line the average, itself? In any case, whatever you use with indicators, they are all lagging. We all have preferences but I prefer to keep to the chartface, itself, not indicators underneath. I don't use fibs or pivots but, really, what difference are they from averages? If others like them I can't argue against them, especially if people make money that way.