Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

well it might feel like it, reksa, but at the close yesterday it was only -74 weak from where it started the year - and we had -65 of that yesterday!! it's been up and down - at best it got to +64 strong but that was only a couple of days into the year. It gradually deteriorated from there until it got to about -30 weak, then picked up to get to around +50 strong mid-February, then a gradual decline which picked up pace in the last week or so to the -74 to yesterday.

jon

Yes I was a bit quick saying that. It was just a general feeling.

Does this chart fit with your analysis? This is a 1 hour comparison.

Its is comparing the DOW strength against the FTSE. You can really see that the DOW's move over the last two days was big.

Attachments

• DOW FTSE.png
    DOW FTSE.png
    23.5 KB · Views: 146
reksa

aye that seems to tally.

incidentally i see the 3pm reversal time has struck again. FTSE more or less keeping pace with the DOW rise from there.

jon

Its is comparing the DOW strength against the FTSE. You can really see that the DOW's move over the last two days was big.

Hi reksa , that's an interesting chart you have there.Do you mind me asking whose charting package you are using to get that ?

Hi reksa , that's an interesting chart you have there.Do you mind me asking whose charting package you are using to get that ?

Its a white label version of ProRealTime. There are a few SB companies that offer it as part of their package. This one is with IG.

Its a 1 hour chart of the DOW, with a relative strength indicator of the FTSE.

Nice chart Mark.

Edit: Didn't hit refresh so didn't see your earlier reply

Last edited:
Its a white label version of ProRealTime. There are a few SB companies that offer it as part of their package. This one is with IG.

Its a 1 hour chart of the DOW, with a relative strength indicator of the FTSE.

Many thanks for the quick and helpful reply.

Hope this thread is not dying :(

Looks like the 8:30 reversal struck again today. I missed it - anyone on board?

FTSE has had a few attempts to gets its strength back.

Attachments

• tumbleweed.jpg
    tumbleweed.jpg
    32.4 KB · Views: 176
hi reksa

ftse hasn't strengthened much vs dow after that extreme last week - strong by about +14 on Friday but only more or less held its own yesterday and about -8 weak as we speak.

jon

Hi Barjon

I hope this thread is not dying, where else can we find genuinely enthusiastic, experienced and knowledgeable FTSE traders to share their ideas? (I didn't say successful). There are a few services on offer, but are their opinions any better? They say so, but ...
Anyway, today, I entered a short trade at 8:30 only to see it immediately turn against me, but I held on and now it's ok. Hope you did also.

Jimi

hi reksa

ftse hasn't strengthened much vs dow after that extreme last week - strong by about +14 on Friday but only more or less held its own yesterday and about -8 weak as we speak.

jon

I got a pair on last Thursday and as soon as I think it has some legs it gets taken back. Do you ever trade them at the extremes with the aim to hold them for a full reversal in strength? Maybe even a whole month for example.

Hi Barjon

I hope this thread is not dying, where else can we find genuinely enthusiastic, experienced and knowledgeable FTSE traders to share their ideas? (I didn't say successful). There are a few services on offer, but are their opinions any better? They say so, but ...
Anyway, today, I entered a short trade at 8:30 only to see it immediately turn against me, but I held on and now it's ok. Hope you did also.

Jimi

you were a bold fella to hold on, jimi :)

I often have a go at playing reversals at 8:30, 9:00 (missed that one today, too) and 10:00 when conditions are right for me to hedge with dow if it goes wrong. That turns it into a pair trade and relies on ftse outperforming dow one way or the other.

jon

I got a pair on last Thursday and as soon as I think it has some legs it gets taken back. Do you ever trade them at the extremes with the aim to hold them for a full reversal in strength? Maybe even a whole month for example.

reksa

no, I treat each day as it comes although I will carry over for a few days occasionally. I carried over this weekend because the extreme was so great, but cleared out when ftse had a near +20 burst of strength yesterday between 13:00 and 14:00.

I'm not averse to taking further trades when the extreme goes extreme, extreme but I won't call it doubling up 'cos I'll get shot :LOL:

jon

i'm in now in long ftse 5906 short dow 13178

The price has bounced off this area several times since the start of February.
Right now its still going sideways. Guess I'll wait. Which could of course erode half of the potential gain.

reksa

no, I treat each day as it comes although I will carry over for a few days occasionally. I carried over this weekend because the extreme was so great, but cleared out when ftse had a near +20 burst of strength yesterday between 13:00 and 14:00.

I'm not averse to taking further trades when the extreme goes extreme, extreme but I won't call it doubling up 'cos I'll get shot :LOL:

jon

Hi Jon. Mine is now offside. Silly really considering it was in profit. But I have used Futures (SB made up Futures that is) so all the charge is in the spread and no overnight financing. I plan to hold until levels relative to Mar 12/13th.

You can't really use a stop loss as the trade has no direction. So you have to keep eye it.

Does anyone here use index Binaries to hedge?

Aviva
InterContinental Hotels
Smiths Group
Standard Life

All go ex div. So 3.09 points of the FTSE after close.