Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Any good news for the gap up?
Over the weekend China announced they will take a tougher stance on Intellectual Property protection.The news renewed hope of reaching an agreement and signing phase one of the US/China trade deal, this helped market to gap up after the weekend and to continue trading higher. However, China said this before a year ago.. is this time different?

Seems to me that all China is giving to get the deal through is regurgitated promises. So far, none of what China said it will do has been done, we really need to see what trump wants in the form of verification and the penalties for non-compliance, if China signs off on that, then we can celebrate, at least for a while, then... China will cheat and Trump will re-impose tariffs.

Markets have a short memory... about a year ago there was a full agreement (not phase-1 as is now celebrated), China agreed to introduce new IP laws and enforce them, they also agreed to abolish the local partner & IP disclosure requirement i.e. give free access of entry into their markets by American Co without IP transfer pre-conditions, further they agreed to continue with produce purchases. All this was agreed in writing but when Trump added compliance verification to the agreement, China refused to sign it. In other words, they had no intention of honouring the agreement so when confronted with having to sign-off on the penalties if they didn't, they walked away. China has built its economy on stolen IP enabling them to undercut prices by not spending on R&D, most factories don't even have R&D facilities. Are they likely to change the culture that has made them an economic powerhouse on the back of other nation's innovations? Do they even have the ability to innovate sufficiently to compete on their own? My guess is no and no, so the conclusion is that there will be no agreement if it includes verification of compliance. My view is that the current market rallies are pre-mature.

Last edited:
Over the weekend China announced they will take a tougher stance on Intellectual Property protection.The news renewed hope of reaching an agreement and signing phase one of the US/China trade deal, this helped market to gap up after the weekend and to continue trading higher. However, China said this before a year ago.. is this time different?

Seems to me that all China is giving to get the deal through is regurgitated promises. So far, none of what China said it will do has been done, we really need to see what trump wants in the form of verification and the penalties for non-compliance, if China signs off on that, then we can celebrate, at least for a while, then... China will cheat and Trump will re-impose tariffs.

Markets have a short memory... about a year ago there was a full agreement (not phase-1 as is now celebrated), China agreed to introduce new IP laws and enforce them, they also agreed to abolish the local partner & IP disclosure requirement i.e. give free access of entry into their markets by American Co without IP transfer pre-conditions, further they agreed to continue with produce purchases. All this was agreed in writing but when Trump added compliance verification to the agreement, China refused to sign it. In other words, they had no intention of honouring the agreement so when confronted with having to sign-off on the penalties if they didn't, they walked away. China has built its economy on stolen IP enabling them to undercut prices by not spending on R&D, most factories don't even have R&D facilities. Are they likely to change the culture that has made them an economic powerhouse on the back of other nation's innovations? Do they even have the ability to innovate sufficiently to compete on their own? My guess is no and no, so the conclusion is that there will be no agreement if it includes verification of compliance. My view is that the current market rallies are pre-mature.

Thanks for sharing your view. It looks very strange to me that Trump has been quite recently, and surprisingly China has been releasing "good news" which helps to drive the US market higher.

One said it is to help the HK stock market from collapsing because big firm investor are shorting it (they also support those gangster finanically).

If it is true, Dow may really go to 30000 without any real support