Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

S&P 2695
Now I'm thinking whats going to happen when it hits all those 'safe' stops at 2700. Its going to catapult higher. Doh!

Evening/morning folks,

No tea leaves for guidance, only get this with my morning brew of cha.

However, it is raining rather hard here with storms blowing through so that could indicate a volatile day.

Going to put some deep orders in and review later. Up? down? Who knows?

Morning/evening all....first mug of Yorkshire to start the day and a good start to see I have made some pips while sparked out...placed a long limit @7160 before retiring to sleep and limit order closed 7120. Whatever caused the ftse to drop like that? Who cares!

With the positive performance of the banking sector, the US market recovered from the initial losses. This negative performance at the opening was spurred by the publication of data on inflation relative to the first month of the year. The consumer price index rose 0.50% in January (the highest increase in the last 5 months), up from the 0.30% expected by economists. In relation to the same month of the previous year, inflation remained at 2.10%, but exceeded the expected 1.90%. On the other hand, the so-called core inflation (which excludes the most volatile goods and is the most considered) also surpassed the estimates, when it stood at 1.80% in relation to the same period of 2017. As far as wages are concerned, quite relevant in recent times, there was an increase (adjusted to inflation) of only 0.80%. Retail sales for the same month were also known, which fell by 0.30%, the biggest drop in almost a year and compared to an estimated increase of 0.20%. If we exclude car sales, retail sales have remained unchanged.

Morning/evening all....first mug of Yorkshire to start the day and a good start to see I have made some pips while sparked out...placed a long limit @7160 before retiring to sleep and limit order closed 7120. Whatever caused the ftse to drop like that? Who cares!

Nice to make money in your sleep, especially when your not expecting it. :)

I was going to post how the last couple weeks would have absolutely killed me on Indices - I've saved a fortune by not being able to trade the last couple months. Just goes to show how everyone is different, I much prefer the "calm directional moves", maybe it's just inherent in different approaches.

Too true matey, we did all watch your exploits, wanting it to keep going without any gyrations, as far as possible, but had to snap eventually. Will always give kudos for what you did!!!

My comments about a calm market - well it is and was my problem to trade in that condition, wanting to participate with others etc, but not the most clever move I have made.

The Mrs knew right away - "Why are we eating tinned food darling? Have you been trading in those 1 way markets again". Nothing gets by her I tell you:whistling

I was going to post how the last couple weeks would have absolutely killed me on Indices - I've saved a fortune by not being able to trade the last couple months. Just goes to show how everyone is different, I much prefer the "calm directional moves", maybe it's just inherent in different approaches.

I agree...the volatility takes out wide stops both ways....a killing ground for most retail traders imho...I prefer the calmer seas with smaller consistent gains.

Yes, actually I was speaking to a colleague on Friday, who made the bulk of his net worth in the build upto 2008, and he sees the same scenarios.

These periods seem to last a month or 2 then settle down, they come along not nearly as often as the likes of you and I would like, but one can make a very very very good return if waiting for your levels. This is an environment of overshooting, which I can see is your element ;)

Personally I hate the calm directional moves, in fact over my career, these have been the times that actually cost me some moolah. But fear not, these current conditions allow one to make it back ten fold at least.

Long may it continue, the problem is finding another market to trade that has the same characteristics, when these babies calm down.

In a weird way (some will get this) - these are actually the characteristics of a rational market - go figure that out lol

With regards to 2008 - this is what he was getting at. Nice build up over the previous 5 years, everyone and their mothers making a mint, no stopping this bad boy - then shake, rattle and roll.

Nice to have a template to at least be aware of, so not rattle and rolling yet, but if we are at least aware, bargain prices to be had when initial shock factor presents its self. As Postman suggested yesterday!

Suddenly shorts don't seem as crazy as they did 6 months ago:eek:

Attachments

• 2008.gif
    2008.gif
    70.3 KB · Views: 59