Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

My stop on S @6017 was taken out overnight. Gap down on pre-market open (0700 GMT on my platform to 6015 from 6050). Expecting a gap fill to 6050 but will try and remain unbiased today and trade the flow (unlike yesterday - ouch).
Yesterday was a good lesson to move forward on.

I forgot about that, that hurt like a b**tard :(

i rang them up to bollock them over the price difference (never ring after drinking in manchetesr all afternoon) after i had yelled down the phone for five minutes the trader on the other end said "but sir you made 84 pound profit. The penny then dropped the wife said to me "well you showed yourself up"

Excuse my complete ignorance - but happy to learn something new - but what is the IG dividend adjustment at 1630?

dax is a total return index, so when companies pay dividends essentially that value gets added onto their share prices (reinvested) and hence the index shoots for the heavens.

ftse dividends are paid out and not added to the index, i.e. there were 24 points worth of dividends paid out yesterday, so if the index was at 6024 at 16:29 then when the spreadbettors do an adjustment the index is dropped to 6000 at 16:30 (if you were long at this time you would have been paid out ~80% of these dividends so plus ~20 points, if you were short at this time your account would have been charged this ~80% so minus ~20 points)

The 80% dividend figure is my approximation, basically to stop people using spreadbetting sites to obtain the entire 100% of ftse dividends on a tax free basis.

I'm sure someone else has a better way of explaining this tbh...or a link :)

dax is a total return index, so when companies pay dividends essentially that value gets added onto their share prices and hence the index shoots for the heavens.

ftse dividends are paid out and not added to the index, i.e. there were 24 points worth of dividends paid out yesterday, so if the index was at 6024 at 16:29 then when the spreadbettors do an adjustment the index is dropped to 6000 at 16:30 (if you were long at this time you would have been paid out ~80% of these dividends so plus ~20 points, if you were short at this time your account would have been charged this ~80% so minus ~20 points)

The 80% dividend figure is my approximation, basically to stop people using spreadbetting sites to obtain the entire 100% of ftse dividends on a tax free basis.

I'm sure someone else has a better way of explaining this tbh...or a link :)

Many thanks for your reply - I never realised this. However my SB provider certainly made no adjustments and hence my confusion with the disparity in levels. I guess it can work both ways - but certainly not to my advantage yesterday.

I guess it can work both ways - but certainly not to my advantage yesterday.
Exactly, being short on a big dividend day (wednesday close for the ftse) is a recipe for unwanted pain, normally I'm good about it but I totally forgot yesterday :/

Fairly clear money flow so far on FTSE! No longs and a couple of shorts so far. lets see how long it holds - suspicious lack of volatility - calm before the storm?

In recent days there has been a stabilization of the factors that had worried investors in recent weeks: the Chinese authorities have shown they don’t want the yuan to depreciate sharply, the Chinese stock markets stabilized and the oil price has recovered. This improvement has also contributed to diminishing fears in relation to bank stocks.

So after all that shenanigans on pricing I'm plus 26 on the Ftse position last night.

Despite reduced yields, the propensity of institutional investors to purchase bonds increased. Fears of a recession does not extend to Europe, which should continue to grow. If the stock market indices continue to be valued, the mentioned investors will have to follow their benchmarks and will have to allocate liquidity to the purchase of shares.

I'm feeling (marginally) less worried after I closed at 952 and got back in at 990 for the short.

We'll see.

Given the week we've had I've closed at 5933. Its not as good as it looks given the rollovers and dividends.
Have a good weekend all.