Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Well.. we all thought that the holding pattern this week was in anticipation of NFP.. we now know it wasn't..

so that tells me that there is something else about to break in the news and probably to the upside... but I think caution is the watchword. I personally will not be holding anything over the weekend. :sneaky:

Zen - it is never a good idea to have an open position going into Non Farms, and even a tight stop cannot protect you. Unless the NFP data is exceptional, it tends to settle down and drift until 2:30pm. You need to wait until 2:30pm before getting in on any move at the open. I expected it to go up and was a little surprised by the sell off.

As for trading at the release of the data right on 1:30pm, I think if you are using a spreadbetting firm for your orders you may struggle to get a good fill. I entered a long on the FTSE future at 17 seconds after 1:30pm and caught the second bounce for 8 points, but it is quite risky and moves are often severe.

If in doubt about data, try and look at the 1 min chart of price movement for the last 5 or 6 times the data was released, and get a feel for what happens when the data meets expectations or surprises.

Thanks Martin.
I was thinking about Jon's system - DOW and FTSE 100. If DOW is a bit jumpier than FTSE 100 maybe a fast spread bettor can quickly benefit from the first jump/difference?
But then again, this may be offset by a bad fill at that time and also spread is wider for DOW till 14:30.

some more thoughts....

we now have euro rebasing downwards whilst equities have pushed up.. so this week we have had a disconnect between the two assett classes.. which is the first time this has happened for many a month... so what is happening ???

One thought is that the euro is rebasing in anticiaption of an ECB QE programme that the market has got wind off (and it is obviously a strong wind) equities are pushing up becasue we get free money and of course we are starting to see some buying coming inot gold, oil and copper....

Any other ideas? :sneaky:

Anyone know of a good charting software? I am looking to create a simple 4 line chart with market data each day. I have done this before but the software I had would not let me scroll the data so over time it would all crunch up on screen and I would have to delete some of it in order see it clearly. I am looking for one that will let me view a pane of say 20 periods but would also let me save the previous data and let me scroll back. I suppose a bit like the charts we use but with manual input for 4/5 lines. I would appreciate any ones help

Thanks Martin.
I was thinking about Jon's system - DOW and FTSE 100. If DOW is a bit jumpier than FTSE 100 maybe a fast spread bettor can quickly benefit from the first jump/difference?
But then again, this may be offset by a bad fill at that time and also spread is wider for DOW till 14:30.

It's not really a fast finger thing, zen. Yesterday was a very quiet day but here's the ftse difference (where ftse was compared to where it should have been if it had kept pace with dow) at each hour including the open and into the close. -8, -14. -8, -2, +2, +7, -7, +14, -7, -17. So after three hours ftse was weak by - 32 and if you'd thought that enough of an extreme to chance a reversion towards mean (which is pretty unlikely given recent volatlity) you could have had a net + 16 (at the ftse position x 2 and less spread, of course ) even just working to the hourly closes.

jon

ps: I'm not into the "could have", "should have" hindsight stuff - this is just to demonstrate the strategy

Anyone know of a good charting software? I am looking to create a simple 4 line chart with market data each day. I have done this before but the software I had would not let me scroll the data so over time it would all crunch up on screen and I would have to delete some of it in order see it clearly. I am looking for one that will let me view a pane of say 20 periods but would also let me save the previous data and let me scroll back. I suppose a bit like the charts we use but with manual input for 4/5 lines. I would appreciate any ones help

what data frequency do you want - 1min/5 min/hourly or what ?

and what is a "period" ?

do you want ftse cash or futures ?

what data frequency do you want - 1min/5 min/hourly or what ?

and what is a "period" ?

do you want ftse cash or futures ?

Hi MC, i don't need time frames just simple line graph a bit like excel where i can input any figure and it draws a line. the software i used before was Lotus Smart Suite and it was perfect but would not save and scroll.I can create a good graph in excel but once again can't scroll. thanks

Dick for futures just sign up for a free demo with Open ECry, you get the data for free and the charts are customisable. If you want a decent free charting package with free end of day data then ProRealTime are really nice. Intraday you will have to pay for data. They do futures or cash prices. Otherwise just try good old Stockcharts.com.

some more thoughts....

we now have euro rebasing downwards whilst equities have pushed up.. so this week we have had a disconnect between the two assett classes.. which is the first time this has happened for many a month... so what is happening ???

One thought is that the euro is rebasing in anticiaption of an ECB QE programme that the market has got wind off (and it is obviously a strong wind) equities are pushing up becasue we get free money and of course we are starting to see some buying coming inot gold, oil and copper....

Any other ideas? :sneaky:

Don't know much about the disconnect. I think we all expect the ECB to start printing money. I just don't know how they will be able to do it legally, but its going to happen somehow. Don't know about gold, but oil and copper possibly because there are signs the US economy is picking up, ever so slowly.

We also have results season starting with Alcoa on monday, and usually there is a move after about two weeks of results. I think it will be up, but have to see what happens.

Dick for futures just sign up for a free demo with Open ECry, you get the data for free and the charts are customisable. If you want a decent free charting package with free end of day data then ProRealTime are really nice. Intraday you will have to pay for data. They do futures or cash prices. Otherwise just try good old Stockcharts.com.

thanks martin, but i dont think i'm being very clear with this if i say it has nothing to do with the stock market and is just a plain and simple line graph where i can input a figure each day say between 1-20, the view i have would only ever be say 10 periods but i could scroll back and view the other periods just as we can do with our stock charts. ha ha i think i'll just forget it:LOL:

thanks martin, but i dont think i'm being very clear with this if i say it has nothing to do with the stock market and is just a plain and simple line graph where i can input a figure each day say between 1-20, the view i have would only ever be say 10 periods but i could scroll back and view the other periods just as we can do with our stock charts. ha ha i think i'll just forget it:LOL:

Dl

Couldn't you do it via excel? Be a bit cumbersome but you could just select the data you want and chart that when you wanted to scroll back..

thanks samirs, i was able to download it but i can't make head nor tail of it ...i'm a thicko with this kind of thing i need it to be a graph for dummies, point and click easy peasy child can do it.....

You can use the dynamic charts tab - see if the attached helps. You can type your values from B7 onwards - if needed you can fix the scale to a maximum value so it does not distort views across different time periods.

There are some drawbacks of this i.e. it would show data in chunks of 10 periods and not continuous 10 periods. Even that can be done but this is just to give an idea of what's possible.

Attachments

• Test.xls
    22 KB · Views: 158
Dl

Couldn't you do it via excel? Be a bit cumbersome but you could just select the data you want and chart that when you wanted to scroll back..

i don't think i would be bothered with that barjon i can input the data to excel but i really do need the scroll. i contacted some people who do this kind of work with excel but they wanted £80 per hr. :( all i need is a simple line graph with scroll but it's proving to be the hardest thing to find.

i don't think i would be bothered with that barjon i can input the data to excel but i really do need the scroll. i contacted some people who do this kind of work with excel but they wanted £80 per hr. :( all i need is a simple line graph with scroll but it's proving to be the hardest thing to find.

how about this then amCharts: JavaScript/HTML5 charts not sure if it scrolls but on a quick look it seems you can select date range easy enough

You can use the dynamic charts tab - see if the attached helps. You can type your values from B7 onwards - if needed you can fix the scale to a maximum value so it does not distort views across different time periods.

There are some drawbacks of this i.e. it would show data in chunks of 10 periods and not continuous 10 periods. Even that can be done but this is just to give an idea of what's possible.

managed to enter some data but i don't think this will do the job ....scrolling for one and i also need up to 4 line displayed on the one chart. i'll keep fiddling around with it. thanks

managed to enter some data but i don't think this will do the job ....scrolling for one and i also need up to 4 line displayed on the one chart. i'll keep fiddling around with it. thanks

As I said this is only a template ....whatever you need can be achieved with some minor adjustments.....would help if your requirements are specified well or you can play around it and find your way anyway

As I said this is only a template ....whatever you need can be achieved with some minor adjustments.....would help if your requirements are specified well or you can play around it and find your way anyway

well if your offering to help that would be very kind of you samirs, but if i've picked you up wrong just ignore me no worries.

i could record the data through next weeks trading so by friday i would have 5 inputs for say three lines. what else would need to be specified?