Anyone scalping the FTSE Futures??

Good evening everyone

Had been waiting for 6370 to go short FTSE. At 16:26 thought I was going in at about 6370 but by time I had opened ticket and dealt it was 6361. Looking at chart it had a range of 12 points in a minute. Never dealt this close to close before, must beware in future.

Ian

Closed two longs in the meantime, still have another one going on futures from 1515.0, targeting 1524. It's not looking great, though.

Guess what, S&P futures hit 1524, but reversed 0.1 from my target profit because of spread ! I had to accept smaller win and then it tanked.

Attachments

• sandp_2.jpg
    sandp_2.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 139
do you really play 0.5 size on SPX? or is that something you show up here?

Yes, I do. This time, I've invested £100 only to test certain strategy. Since end of December, I increased my account to £172 over 26 trades with limited risk (stake of 50p per full point of S&P500). As I always said, trading is a hobby for me. I've got a full time job and a family to spend time with. I open most of my trades around midnight and keep them for days. Once I am comfortable with the results being consistent, I will put more money in.

February numbers.
Will post year numbers at the weekend.
And out look for week and month ahead.
FTSE didn't make my above 6,400 area.
No hard feeling FTSE will be back again on Friday.
ASX current 5.081, looking for 5,101
No shorts at the close, 13 point div to pay.

Attachments

• Feb 1.JPG
    Feb 1.JPG
    209.5 KB · Views: 119
  • Feb 2.JPG
    Feb 2.JPG
    223.4 KB · Views: 119
Yes, I do. This time, I've invested £100 only to test certain strategy. Since end of December, I increased my account to £172 over 26 trades with limited risk (stake of 50p per full point of S&P500). As I always said, trading is a hobby for me. I've got a full time job and a family to spend time with. I open most of my trades around midnight and keep them for days. Once I am comfortable with the results being consistent, I will put more money in.

That's a very sensible way to start. It doesn't matter how much you play with, it's whether or not you can make a profit and as far as I can see you are doing just fine.

@ Bustech - Good morning mate.

Lee

I was on 50p for years. SP is a bit slow, I must admit, and I prefer USTech and FT, I have never hear of it anywhere outside Finspreads, but it works and has a 2600 level. Even now, being retired, 7 GBP is large, for me, and my needs are modest, without the danger of going broke!

Morning Guys, sell off last night was aggressive in S&P, but i think its an oppo to buy, 1st of the month today so new money coming in, also Obama meeting Boehner at 3.00 GMT expect this to be fudged through giving the dow another crack at the all time high 14164 best closing high 14198 all time closing high i believe. 4 hour charts look constructive we have sold off and bounced, Dow supports at 14020 DAX at 7712 , FTSE ar 6345 as long as these hold look for a push up, i expect at least a test of high in FTSE today. Good Luck everyone, have a great weekend !

Last edited:

good for you....

Really not happy with the way this week's ended for me. Got stopped out on my Dow short at 14231 and FTSE short at 6381 yesterday evening, only to watch the indices plummet into the close and further today. I would have had a huge profit if my stops hadn't been hit :(

Really not happy with the way this week's ended for me. Got stopped out on my Dow short at 14231 and FTSE short at 6381 yesterday evening, only to watch the indices plummet into the close and further today. I would have had a huge profit if my stops hadn't been hit :(

I know the feeling. you get stopped and then you do not re-enter because you can not guess when will be the point that will reverse and make your losses double.

Is 14231 a typo ?

I know the feeling. you get stopped and then you do not re-enter because you can not guess when will be the point that will reverse and make your losses double.

Is 14231 a typo ?

Yes my bad, 14131.

I normally keep my account well funded so can survive swings of yesterday's magnitude, but I placed one big trade too many and the market took me out.

Shame, I was doing so well in trying to recover my huge losses so far this year :rolleyes:

Yes my bad, 14131.

I normally keep my account well funded so can survive swings of yesterday's magnitude, but I placed one big trade too many and the market took me out.

Shame, I was doing so well in trying to recover my huge losses so far this year :rolleyes:

BIG school boy error by me... went to golf thinking had set stop loss.... just got home.... guess the rest !!

Yes my bad, 14131.

I am doing also the same. Try to open big positions but with tight stops.

This is why I often get stopped out. Trying always to move the stops to breakeven, after it moves to my favor to avoid losses.

.and as always it moves against me. It is a small position. I may add some more a little later.

Yes my bad, 14131.

are you spread betting?

Nice move in the DOW last night, something for the bears and bulls.

People will know I speak of the strong part of the market cycle is November to April.
The high in over 70% of this time is seen in March. We can get a lot of false breaks in March. So don't fall in love with the move. But the choppy moves should keep bears and bulls happy.

DOW all time high is 14,164 and you would say the DOW has a date there some time in March.
But how much higher can we go, 3% possible, but 5% seems way too much.

ASX is 5,100 it was pricing in 2014 earning at 4,900, problem is if you sell your shares where do put your money in this low rate environment.
ASX is up 9% for the year, bet long term investors wish they could get 4.5% each month and that's with out some big divs.

Sell in May in and go away still my call.
2013 numbers attached.
Looking forward to Rob's Just Trading blog.
Good weekend for all.

Attachments

• 2013.xls
    103 KB · Views: 116