Anyone Read Any Decent Books Lately?

tommog

Hi,

For me it seems a very long time since a really good quality trading book came out. Anyone can publish a basic "how to" trading book but to really get good insights into the minds of great traders (i.e Schwager's books ) are a rareity, or something that really opens your mind up to a new philosophy of looking at the markets i havent read anything comparable in the past 4-5 years. Any suggestions?

Pandora's star by Peter F Hamilton.
Hyperion by Dan Simmons

Neither will help much in trading but they are fantastic books

It gets harder and harder to be impressed by trading books as you gain more experience and read more books.

Read Curtis Faith's 'Way of the Turtle' last week. Good, honest book by an actual trader (y)
Alot of it is about backtesting and mechanical systems tho.

In my opinion the best book is "The Bhagavad Gita" - To suceed in trading you need - Focus, discipline, mind of steel, action, proper analysis and most importantly a calm mind - and know yourself!

All this can be achieved by reading the Bhagavad Gita.

You could read tons of books, attend many cources or mentoring programmes, these are all meanigless if you do not have the above mentioned qualities.

I'm sorry, but just reading the Bhagavad Gita isn't going to magically give people the characteristics of a good trader. No book, no matter how enlightening, will do that.

It does seem that way, but only because history filters all the crap out and just leaves the classics - no doubt there are incredibly insightful classics being scrawled by 21st Century trading prodigies as I type, but for every one of them we have to trawl through the 999 other books which frankly are a waste of good tree. One of my favourite books, which is written by a trader but not exclusively about trading, is 'Fooled by Randomness' by Nicholas Nassim Taleb. Essential reading for any trader. Not entirely 'new' but well worth mentioning just in case it had escaped your radar.

Another book that I recently read and enjoyed was 'Day Trading with Short Term Price Patterns and Open Range Breakout' by Toby Crabel. Definitely not a new book either but I liked it.

Dr Elder's got a new book out: Sell, and Sell Short I think it's called. (How appropriate!). I do like his books, but I can't help but think he's better at writing about trading than actual trading itself. I mean he talks a good trade....

In my opinion the best book is "The Bhagavad Gita" - To suceed in trading you need - Focus, discipline, mind of steel, action, proper analysis and most importantly a calm mind - and know yourself!

You could read tons of books, attend many cources or mentoring programmes, these are all meanigless if you do not have the above mentioned qualities.

Any decent book on the Kabbalah would do as much.
Heres to Malkhut! (As above, so below, etc)

EDIT: seriously, Way of the Turtle is excellent, especially the number-crunching stuff.