Any good trading books out there?

idaxtrader

The problem is that it appears I have exhausted the source of quality trading books. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. Please give suggestions even if the books are not directly related to trading. For example I have found some biographies on generals such as Gen. Patton and Field Marshal Rommel to be appropriate to trading in some aspects.

I have a general distaste for most trading books. I only like books that are basically memoirs. I have read and reread Reminisces of a Stock Operator, How I made 2,000,000 in the stock market, the market wizards series, Mark Douglas' two books, and Martin Schwartz's pit bull book. Thanks for the help and good trading to all you great people on this forum.

Last edited:
Thank you for the suggestion it's an excellent choice. That is probably the best first book a trader can read. It briefly covers all the important aspects that are pertinent to trading. If I were allowed to chose only three trading books i would choose Murphy's Intro to tech. anl., Douglas' Trading in the zone, and Le ferves Reminisces of a stock operator. Thanks for the help and good trading to you.

Daltons Mind over Markets
Charlie D - the story of the legendary bond trader
John Carters Mastering the trade
Trading Athlete
Martin Pring on Price Patterns
If its raining in Brazil buy Starbucks, great book on economic indicators and macrwave stuff
liars Poker

I would like to thank you for the suggestions. It looks like there maybe a few books to read after all. I really hope that more suggestions will keep coming and this thread yields a list worthy of reading for everyone on this forum. The problem is there is just so many crap books out there in the trading genre.

Art of war is an excellent book for all traders. I would like to share maybe my favourite book of all time since it relates to art of war. Most of you university educated traders from Great Britain should know this one since it was authored by a British genius Captain Basil Liddell Hart. The book is called Strategy the indirect approach. In my opinion its the best there is in the realm of strategy. It was one of Rommel's favorite books. It was also the foundation for the developers of that strategy a few years back called Shock and Awe achieving rapid dominance. Thanks again good trading to all.

Art of war is an excellent book for all traders. I would like to share maybe my favourite book of all time since it relates to art of war. Most of you university educated traders from Great Britain should know this one since it was authored by a British genius Captain Basil Liddell Hart. The book is called Strategy the indirect approach. In my opinion its the best there is in the realm of strategy. It was one of Rommel's favorite books. It was also the foundation for the developers of that strategy a few years back called Shock and Awe achieving rapid dominance. Thanks again good trading to all.

He invented Blitzkrieg. A pity the bone heads in British Army didn't read it too !

I really like The Master Swing Trader by lan Farley. Don't especially like his style of writing, but I thnk there's some great stuff in there. I know that other people might disagree with this though - it seems to polarize people, you'll either love it or hate it!

Martin Pring on Market Momentum is a good read if you are interested in oscillators - won't be of any use if you are a price/volume purist.

learn some ta first.murphy and pring.then move on to the others.most of which will confuse you,because they are rubbish.however,there are some good ones within the cess pool

this one is on my Christmas list:

Evidence Based Technical Analysis:

Amazon.co.uk: EvidenceBased Technical Analysis: Applying the Scientific Method and Statistical Inference to Trading Signals (Wiley Trading): Books: David R Aronson

could be interesting if you'd like to take a more objective PoV rather than blindly accepting the conventional 'wisdom' as far as various technical approaches are concerned - IMO a great deal of technical analysis is just unsubstantiated pseudo science so something like this could be an interesting read.

Please give suggestions even if the books are not directly related to trading...
What specifically are you trying to get out of a book?
I have a general distaste for most trading books. I only like books that are basically memoirs. I have read and reread Reminisces of a Stock Operator, How I made 2,000,000 in the stock market, the market wizards series, Mark Douglas' two books, and Martin Schwartz's pit bull book. Thanks for the help and good trading to all you great people on this forum.
I also quite liked 'Trading in the Zone' by Mark Douglas but I felt that it become a bit 'new-age'-ish with lots of 'pseudo-science' used.

Here are some more suggestions...

1. Technical Analysis of the Financial Markets (John J Murphy)
Apparently this is regarding as THE benchmark book for TA. However, I have just bought it so I can't comment on that claim.

2. The Way of the Turtle (Curtis Faith)
This is an account of 'The Turtles'. They were a group of traders that were taught a simple trading system after a bet between Richard Dennis and Bill Eckhardt to recreate the premise of the Eddie Murphy/Dan Ackroyd film 'Trading Places'. I found it quite interesting to hear which of the turtles were successful and why.

3. An Introduction to Options Trading (Frans De Weert)
This is a more of a text book format than the biographical format that you like. I like the book since it's actually practical and doesn't try to blind you with maths. If you want to learn about options trading this book is a good start.

Hope this helps...

I have to agree with dentist, Pring on Price is good. But overall most technical books are garbage in my opinion. Once you've read Pring I don't think you need to bother with any others.

But the OP I think got it spot on - Reminiscences is absolutely solid gold. There's so much wisdom in that book it's incredible.

Those two books are the only two I'd buy if I had my time again.

The problem is that it appears I have exhausted the source of quality trading books. I would greatly appreciate any and all suggestions. Please give suggestions even if the books are not directly related to trading.

Still hungry huh ?
But are you ready to move to the next level ?

Game Theory

any number of books available to open your mind to what the stockmarket is all about
as played by Goldman Sachs and family

Hi folks,
Your suggestions and recommendations are very welcome but, rather than posting to old threads like this one, please can you add them to the main books FAQ thread here:
Which Books should a Beginner Read?
Include the complete title and author's name.
Thanks.
Tim.