Anyone need any help?

EnlightenedJoe

Experienced member
1,950 95
I do win actually, I started trading in 2010 and genuinely my overall P/L shows a profit (not loads but still).

So you're basically trading peanuts with no stop and waiting for the trade to be a winner?
Peanuts are for people who's loss cause them to lose interest in the markets. For winner who don't lose interest in the markets, they will get considerably more than peanuts.

Personally I would love trading peanut cfd's if they become available. Peanuts, wheat, corn, I'll do them all if they pay good.

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Are you always in at least 1 trade at all times or are there days/weeks when you're completely out of the market?

Maybe some truth to that but I guess stopping trading after losing is better than revenge trading trying to win it all back?

Hi Brewski,

There are times when I am completely out. Albeit rare. If I'm on vacation for example I will reduce positions in preparation. The same goes for big news events that I am aware of beforehand.

Lee

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Hi Lee, nice thread. I too can vouch for IG and for similar reasons as in your earlier post :)
BTW, If you're ever planning on passing through or near west central London, in the coming weeks and months, then please feel most welcome to PM me, if you're ever interested in meeting up for a 'chin wag' over a coffee or pint. Cheers for now.

Hi Peakoil,

Thank you for the feedback. I am expecting to be in Broxbourne in about a months time. I'll be catching up with a couple of other traders for a chat and some drinks and food. You would be very welcome to join the party but bring your drinking hat with you.

Lee

peakoil

257 38
Hi Lee, Many thanks for your message. Sounds good :) Albeit, Broxbourne is just a little bit off my beaten track, still... if there's any chance I can make it, I'll be sure to get back to you. Cheers for now, Peakoil

PS & BTW, if you've ever worked in CSFB, at some point in your life, then there's a chance we may have met many years before...

Stockboy95

5 2
Hello, Lee
Thanks for the response. I am new to this and just trying to learn about trading stocks, and was wondering how much I could earn monthly/annually if I invested 10 k in a not too volatile company.
My trading strategy would be buying and selling around after a week. How much % in returns on average would you say could be made from 10 k?

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Hello, Lee
Thanks for the response. I am new to this and just trying to learn about trading stocks, and was wondering how much I could earn monthly/annually if I invested 10 k in a not too volatile company.
My trading strategy would be buying and selling around after a week. How much % in returns on average would you say could be made from 10 k?
Hi Stockboy95,

This is a very pertinent question for which gets asked a lot and answered with various degrees of responses.

The bottom line is there are too many variables to consider to be able to put a figure remotely accurate to this question. It would be akin to asking how much would I earn if i opened a restaurant.

You would need to know location (which index), type of food (particular stock), how much passing trade (volatility) etc. The list is not exhausted.

Anyway, I'll give you some food for thought below which will help you determine what you believe is achievable based on your past results (paper trading).

So firstly, how much would you call a good monthly percentage and how would that compare against other long time professional traders..... 3%....10%.....30% ???

Then how much would you call a good yearly percentage gain.....10% probably not.... 30% that's pretty good....50% that would be excellent.

Imagine having 1 million on account that allows you to earn 500,000 by the year out. Good stuff right. There are accounts of doubling etc etc but these are high risk strategies or simply brokers/hedge funds who have got lucky that year. Just as much as good luck happens, bad luck is also prevalent.

But.... You are not investing this kind of money. 10k will not get you far and is more likely to get you in to trouble than it is to make a good stable income. Sorry to p1ss on everyone's fire here as its probably not want people want to hear.

People would love me if I told them they can earn 400 bucks a day with only 15 minutes and a 1000 dollar account day trading. Unfortunately reality is not a fairy tale.

So, with your 10k. If you made an excellent record year even for a well seasoned trader, 10k would earn you at the rate of 30% a month - 3000k. That's good stuff. But unlikely to be continued month in month out. If you made 50% on the year your account would show a profit of 5k. Excellent percentages but not enough to feed yourself no doubt.

A brief look at top hedge fund returns for 2016 show the following:
7 over 100% with the highest at just below 150% for the year.
The rest or majority are bouncing around 20-30%. This is not accurate of course and my research in to this subject is extremely light to say the least so please feel free to do your own due diligence. It will give you a good insight in to what is achievable.

Regards,
Lee

Reactions: tokyojoe

Stockboy95

5 2
Wow!
That was a great detailed answer. I have tried reading around on investopedia and some other sites but, your answer was super helpful. I checked that on most sites they talk about the average annual rate of return for the S&P is 7%. What does that mean exactly?

chris214

3 0
Hi Lee,

Just discovered this site and your thread. Very kind of you to offer help and advice. I have a couple of questions I wondered if you could help with.

1. I want to find a way to keep a track of what sectors are hot and what sectors are not. Are there any web sites or other resources you use to keep a track of sector performance.

2. I'm at the stage of my trading where I want to start using Level 2. Do you have any experience of or recommendations for any particular provider.

Cheers - Chris

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Wow!
That was a great detailed answer. I have tried reading around on investopedia and some other sites but, your answer was super helpful. I checked that on most sites they talk about the average annual rate of return for the S&P is 7%. What does that mean exactly?
Hi Stockboy95,

The annual rate of return on the S&P of 7% you may have read would relate (I would assume) to the growth rate over that period of time. Most hedge funds will base their personal results on beating this index - or any other index/stock they are investing/trading in. For example, if the index has dropped by 10% but they only took a loss of 3%, they would boast they beat the index. Likewise if they grossed a return of 15% but the index rose only by 7%, again they would boast they beat the index.

Lee

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Hi Lee,

Just discovered this site and your thread. Very kind of you to offer help and advice. I have a couple of questions I wondered if you could help with.

1. I want to find a way to keep a track of what sectors are hot and what sectors are not. Are there any web sites or other resources you use to keep a track of sector performance.

2. I'm at the stage of my trading where I want to start using Level 2. Do you have any experience of or recommendations for any particular provider.

Cheers - Chris
Hi Chris,

Answer to question 1):

Keeping track means very many different things. Depending on what you wish to track would depend on how you program your sheets. For example, sector performance can be source by doing a quick internet search, this however is simply not enough to trade off of.

Answer to question 2):

If you are going to use level 2 access, get it straight from the horses mouth, ie, LSE. I would safely assume by wanting LVL2 access that you would be day trading or trading in high volume and in quick succession. As you are probably aware, this access will give you orders pending and can be used for great use in high volume, however, these orders can and do often get pulled. Its basically a game of trying to f**k over other traders to puke their contracts at unfavourable prices to them but favourable to those wishing to buy/sell their orders. However, there are many brokers (IG included) that offer DMA. (Direct Market Access) - shop around for best prices for your needs. If you feel you can use this tool for exceptional trading against the pro's, then check out infolect, however, do be sure to check out your own personal latency before doing so otherwise you will always be left behind. Other than that, going down this route may be better suited to a trading desk that has this all included along with many other bells and whistles.

Lee

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
I'm not out tonight. My one and only Friday night friend has p1ssed off to some sunny climate. Apparently on business but I know thats bo11ox.

Anyway, I'm having a drink in and I'm bored. Anything going down or anyone want to chat?

Lee Shepherd

2,164 571
Hi Lee, I have a Q what "drink" do you prefer?
Mainly girlie drinks. I've got a Strongbow Darkfruits on the go (but there are other brands ) :)

I prefer diluted liquor with fruit juices. An umbrella is optional but I love the sparklers and the dancing girls to bring it over.

new_trader

Legendary member
6,510 1,413
Hi mate,

Definitely for some people. Some treat it like gambling and although there are similarities, they are actually worlds apart. If someone has been trying for many years with countless cash down the drain, I wouldn't necessarily say that's a reason to give up. On the contrary, keep trying and never give up on your dreams. Whatever they may be or how hard it seems. Never give up.
Having said that, that doesn't mean to say that person has to keep bleeding cash, paper trade instead. And as always keep excellent records.

We learn from our failures.

Lee
Paper trade...but why-you-shouldnt-demo-trade?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock