Another... How Do I Make The Transition Thread!

ABSTRAX

Sorry guys for another, 'what are my prospects' thread!!!

I’m looking to make a jump from my current role into trading in some form...

My background... upper 2nd class degree in Law (from an old Polytechnic), distinctly average Cs at A-Levels, but fantastic GCSEs, A+ in Maths included... and age-wise, should it matter – 25

Now, I’m realistic and accept that unless I happen to befriend someone pretty substantial within the IB world, I’m not going to be there any time soon, if at all... I’d like to be there given the prestige and the kind of money you get to play with, but I’d be quite content making a shed load of cash and working for myself / at a prop house...

I’m currently working within the wonderful world of recruitment... not high street, but the type that everyone loathes, generating new business in particular niche areas at extortionate margins, anything between 25% and 35%, annoying HR people but having line managers circumvent the process because bottom line, I’ve got the goods... and I’ve been rather good at this for the past 2 years and I don’t have any qualms in charging what I charge and earning what I earn because I put in 12 / 13 hour days and take work home with me... it’s all very live, eat, sleep the job, but that’s what I like... and it’s part of the appeal of trading... mentally, I’d say I’m 110% prepared for the pressures, demands and stresses of the job...

Now, if I just wanted salary, then I could do what I do and take home £80K+, but I do want something with a little more substance... at least, mentally engaging... I enjoy a little research and analytical work, and when you mix it in with sales I’m in my element... at the minute I’m swing trading and spread betting on sports via Betfair with Gruss Software which has a few of the bells attached with stop / loss settings and tick offsets...

So, I’m seeking advice, and I’m thinking 6 month plan type advice on how best to position myself to get into the wonderful world of trading... the options I’ve considered so far, which I’d appreciate your opinion on, are:

1. Beef up my CV with an SII Securities qualification... I remember firing off my CV at random about a year ago to an agency who my CV was obviously no use to given lack of experience, and they recommended it...

2. Open up an account on one of the trading sites and switch / supplement my Betfair escapades with a financial account to build a profit and loss record that I can approach the prop firms with... I’m a bit short on hours for this, but reckon I could squeeze in some Dow action late in the day...

3. Make amends for the distractions that took me from top of the class A+ Maths GCSE to an E in AS Level and dropping Maths by getting a distance course and studying the A-Level now...

4. Take up a job with De **** & Partners... it’s all offshore fund manager-y... its purely commission based, but there stuff doesn’t seem too legitimate at times... didn’t want to whisk myself off to Japan , UAE, China or wherever and waste a bunch of money on a cowboy operation doing something I don’t know much at all about... brand name and purely comms I would do, but when info on the net is hazy about them, no...

Maybe one of these is on point, maybe or all, or maybe none... either way, if you could offer some direction it would be appreciated!

Thanks...

Option 2 for me. Options 3 and 4 are pointless. If you're going to take the SII, do very, very well in it; it won't mean much to prop firms in a practical sense since the certificates are designed for people advising professional/retail clients, but it will show your commitment and a top-end mark will probably make up for your A-Levels. Start trading your own account in the meantime, and just take an interest in the world of trading - read FT/WSJ, Bloomberg/Reuters, stick around T2W and learn as much as you can.

12 months from now you could be a pretty appealing candidate for a prop firm if all this goes well; basically if you can get your foot in the door with your CV, ace the tests and show your knowledge and passion in the interview, along with a year or so's trading experience, I'd say you'd have more than a fighting chance.

Good luck with it all,

SL