An Original Classic?

techst

I have just had an original classic handed down to me. Titled 'Technical Analysis of Stock Trends' by Robert Edwards and John Magee. The book is dated 1964 and all the chart's are still hand drawn versions! All the pages are in a shiny finish but it's in pretty good nick for it's age. I went to a investor book site and this is what was wrote about it:

'As the umpire for competing investment newsletter claims I know what Edwards & Magee did decades ago. Though charting is no guarantee of success, in the right hands it can be very profitable indeed. Whatever you might think of technical analysis in general, and charting in particular, this book is the classic work on the subject.'
Mark Hulbert, The Hulbert Financial Digest
'Completely updated with the latest information, this universally acclaimed investors' classic is the definitive reference on analyzing trends in stock performance through technical analysis.'
Yale Hirsch, Stock Traders Almanac
'The number one all-time classic of bar charts. Many knowledgeable technicians consider this to be the best book on chart patterns ever written. It is an absolute must for any student of technical analysis.'
Ed Dobson, Traders Press
'This book is a classic. The standard of excellence against which everything in technical analysis is measured.'
Ralph Acampora, Prudential Securities

I haven't had time to study it yet. Has anyone read it? Or does anyone have another original?

Thanks for your time

Nice one, but it’s not an original in the sense that the book was first published in 1948. What you’ve got is probably a second or third reprint of the fourth edition, which was published in 1957.

I think the books currently in its eighth edition and so you know that it’s sold well over the years.

Your copy might appeal to a collector and if you want to sell it you should first try here: http://www.abe.com

Personally, I’d be inclined to keep it - and pass it down through the family – after all it’s a nice book to own and no doubt there’s probably some family history tied up in the story about why it was bought in the first place. :)

HTH

Cheers

Mayfly

Last edited:
Yeah just been looking at the front of the book for some dates. And it's in it's 13th print! in this copy. Thanks for the replys. I found out that it was a copy from a Mr B J Longman who was a friend and collegue of Mr Robert Beckman and Mr Ellinger. So it has some history and probably worth keeping.

Could anyone advise. John Murphy's book entitled 'Technical analysis of the financial markets' was when published and since been referred to as the charting or technical analysis bible.

Can anyone clarify how these 2 books would compare.

techst@ said:
I have just had an original classic handed down to me. Titled 'Technical Analysis of Stock Trends' by Robert Edwards and John Magee. The book is dated 1964 and all the chart's are still hand drawn versions! All the pages are in a shiny finish but it's in pretty good nick for it's age.

I haven't had time to study it yet. Has anyone read it? Or does anyone have another original?

Indeed it is a classic. You are very lucky to get such an original copy. Also look out for W. Jiler, How charts can help you in the stock market - another classic and of course a.w. cohen, how to use the 3 point reversal method of point figure charting. I also liked Richard Hextons' Technical Analysis of the Options market which is a british book.