After hours movers.

Naz

Experienced member
Many traders trade after the close in reaction to earnings etc.Many times after hours moves can spill over to the next day and can be an interesting stocks to check out.

Here is a list of some after hour movers from last night.

WFMI
EDMC
GPRO
QLGC
SBUX

Naz

Hello..

GPRO
Short at 45.47 on open ..
Closed at 44.20 for $1.20 profit.

RIMM
Long at 67.20
Closed at 67.62 for 42 cents profit.

I was using trailing stop losses for both of the above to close out positions....otherwise if I was more of an expert at reading Level 2/momentum etc I could probably have got more out the trades.

Just a quick query to those who trade at open...do you use stop losses ? Reason i ask is that more often than not, the movements early on are quite sizeable, so it is easy to be whipsawed out unless your stops are quite wide ?

Ta..

P.S> Any thoughts on a RIMM long if it breaks thru $68 ??

Last edited:
jitasb said:
Indeed it is boy ....not convincgly though.
Anyway Long at 67.90. (stop at break even).

DID YOU GET STOPPED OUT?

jitasb said:
Nope Mr Boy ...Trade still running.
Stop moved to 68.10

Had to leave the PC, so set a trailing stop of 68.40 and a limit stop of 68.90 (using OCA order).
Looks like RIMM reached 68.88 ...then activated my stop at 68.40 as the market reversed down.. Don't you just hate it when that happens.

Can't complain too much though (gain of 50 cents).

Thats still ok all the same. I went long @ 67.58 then got stopped out at the little pullback 10 min later @ 67.68. ah well...

boy said:
Thats still ok all the same. I went long @ 67.58 then got stopped out at the little pullback 10 min later @ 67.68. ah well...

A profit is a profit....

Currently short QLGC AT 29.92 (on fall below $30 and new Lo for day).
Stop set at break even.

Not entirely conviced by this one as there seem to be quite a few buys going thru on time&sales. But I'm no means an expert.
Boy...Do you actively use Level 2 on your trades ?

Jitasb

I always use stop losses on the open.Everything i do on a trade right at the open is managed on the level 2 screen. The chart can pop around all over the place with odd orders going off and the chart getting distorted.The level 2 screen is the truth about what is happening.

To me trading exactly at the open can be a little tough but if you are reasonable on your level 2 screen you can get your days money in the first 5 min run. WFMI that i mentioned at the top of the thread did exactly that yesterday.It ran $2 in the first 5 mins.

Lets not beat about the bush its a tough trade to take and you need to kill it dead if it fails and goes against you, because as much as it can run in your favour it can do the opposite.

Get it right though and you should be in profit immediately.Get good at it and you can search for those plays every day.

After hour movers of note.

JMDT
PIXR
BCSI

Naz

jitasb said:
A profit is a profit....

Currently short QLGC AT 29.92 (on fall below $30 and new Lo for day).
Stop set at break even.

Not entirely conviced by this one as there seem to be quite a few buys going thru on time&sales. But I'm no means an expert.
Boy...Do you actively use Level 2 on your trades ?

Yes jitasb, I use L2 and T&S, not as good as I'd like to be but I'll keep plugging away. I was stopped out in RIMM with an automatic stop, I had a stop order in place because I had to leave the screen for a while.

Hi there Naz, how ya doin?

boy said:
Yes jitasb, I use L2 and T&S, not as good as I'd like to be but I'll keep plugging away. I was stopped out in RIMM with an automatic stop, I had a stop order in place because I had to leave the screen for a while.

Hi there Naz, how ya doin?

Couple of evening trades yesterday maybe?

Attachments

• cat.GIF
    cat.GIF
    39.4 KB · Views: 252
  • untitled.GIF
    untitled.GIF
    53.1 KB · Views: 233