Advice For Newbie Web Designer

Nowler

Experienced member
Hey folks!
I'm still in the UK sorting things out, but when I get back on Thursday I'll reply to the posts I need to reply to.

In the meantime, ive potentially uncovered a gem!
Part of my future plans are to be able to work from anywhere, hence my interest in trading (not my only reason for being attracted to it of course). On top of that I am attempting to put my eggs into a few baskets. Enter, web design!

I seem to have gotten quite lucky, in that, I've come across someone looking to assemble a motivated and loyal web design team and he sees traits in me that he feels benefits his plans. He's taken an interest in me even though my understanding of it isn't developed enough to actually make him money just yet.

I'll be meeting up on Saturday's when I move here permanently (in 4 weeks) to learn what I need and hopefully I' 'get it' ASAP, so I can start earning from it but in the meantime I would like to get going on it myself. Are there any of you that know of any great tutorials for beginners? Shortcuts, hacks, tricks of the trade?

I'll be immensely appreciative of course.
As always.

SEO is also a part of what I'll be doing

Regards,
Gavin

Last edited:
Hey folks!
I'm still in the UK sorting things out, but when I get back on Thursday I'll reply to the posts I need to reply to.

Part of my future plans are to be able to work from anywhere, hence my interest in trading (not my only reason for being attracted to it of course). On top of that I am attempting to put my eggs into a few baskets. Enter, web design!

I seem to have gotten quite lucky, in that, I've come across someone looking to assemble a motivated and loyal web design team and he sees traits in me that he feels benefits his plans. He's taken an interest in me even though my understanding of it isn't developed enough to actually make him money just yet.

I'll be meeting up on Saturday's when I move here permanently (in 4 weeks) to learn what I need and hopefully I' 'get it' ASAP, so I can start earning from it but in the meantime I would like to get going on it myself. Are there any of you that know of any great tutorials for beginners? Shortcuts, hacks, tricks of the trade?

As always.

Regards,
Gavin

Hi i dont know how appropriate it is for learning to be a pro web designer but Wordpress is a good place to start for a beginner website

Hi i dont know how appropriate it is for learning to be a pro web designer but Wordpress is a good place to start for a beginner website

Hey mate,
Thanks for the input.

He's actually going to give me a website or 2 to muck around on, so really what I am looking for is video tutorials or even some good stuff to read which will help me learn the core aspects... Or whatever.

I guess the hands on manipulation of the test sites will be the most beneficial... But I'd like to understand as much as possible before I get my hands on them.

I could look up some video tutorials on some of the software he showed me I suppose...

No harm checking out WordPress too

Thanks mate

Hey mate,
Thanks for the input.

He's actually going to give me a website or 2 to muck around on, so really what I am looking for is video tutorials or even some good stuff to read which will help me learn the core aspects... Or whatever.

I guess the hands on manipulation of the test sites will be the most beneficial... But I'd like to understand as much as possible before I get my hands on them.

I could look up some video tutorials on some of the software he showed me I suppose...

No harm checking out WordPress too

Thanks mate

ok yeah, access to the back end will be useful..

here is am example playlist with loads of info about setting up WP on a site btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGuu8VMi2oI&index=5&list=PLejSOw4nfS4y8saZOI4zKCRgVqAbHJ6w5

Sure. I do web site development myself as well as trading. i can give you some pointers and would recommend you sign up for the newsletter from "Yoast". I use their plugins on my sites and they have newsletters on SEO. Also there is a site called SEJ. Google it and its a good source of SEO Pointers. For wordpress and website developement, pick a good theme and ensure you minimise the use of plugins as these really do mess up on the speed and user experience of a website. Oops....of course....ensure the site is mobile friendly! Google will be ranking on mobile from 2018 onwards ahead of ranking from desktop. Bet you didn't know that! Kind Regards (PM me if you want a call or meet up and we can discuss further. I will give you all the help you need....For Free btw!)

Hey folks!

As always.

Regards,
Gavin

https://www.edx.org/course?search_query=web+design

Look for ones which have already started - you can still join them, because they are self-paced. EDX courses are free (unless you want to pay for extra materials or a certificate)

What sort of stuff are you thinking of putting on your website ?
Maybe trading related ?

Thanks for the info folks! It's all looks promising!
Let me look through it all during the week and I'll get back to you.

@Pat494
It's not for my website, it's to build up a level of web design proficiency so that I can hopefully earn some income while staying true to my nomadic aspirations. With web design, like trading, it can be done from anywhere.

I do however have a website that I created via Weebly and that is Trading based. It's not published though as there is very little content on it. The intention with that was to earn income from placing ads on it but it has since taken a back seat to everything else going on in my life. I will revisit it at some point. Probably sooner now that I am eyeing up a job in web design...

Hello fine folks!
Hope you have all been doing well since we last spoke!

I have been doing some reading into SEO as it's going to be an important part of my role soon and I've just been wondering how I measure up in terms of theoretical knowledge/understanding.

Is there a way that I can test my understanding of SEO apart from just making a website and seeing how I can improve it's traffic and ranking?
In uni I had the advantage of being assessed by lecturers but with this self-learning, I don't have that luxury.

Do any of you know of any online assessments that I can gauge my learning progress?
Such a thing might not even exist...I just thought it'd be no harm asking here because I have gotten so much useful info from some of you in the past.

Or perhaps some of the more knowledgeable folks here could compile a few beginner to intermediate questions about SEO and I can use what I have learned to answer them..?

Hi folks! I think SEO is an interesting job. Some time ago, I created my own web-site, and it needed some search engine optimization o get higher ranks for my site on Google. For me, it was a bit hard to look for a good SEO organization who could take my web-site to the top of the searches, after some time I eventually found a seo company in malaysia, it's one of the top organization not only in seo providing but as well in web design services, my mate ordered web design services from them, and it was the best design I've seen so far, the speed of fulfillment of the orders, the quality of it, and the price is one the top

Last edited:
Hi folks! I think SEO is an interesting job. Some time ago, I created my own web-site, and it needed some search engine optimization o get higher ranks for my site on Google. For me, it was a bit hard to look for a good SEO organization who could take my web-site to the top of the searches, after some time I eventually found a seo company in malaysia, it's one of the top organization not only in seo providing but as well in web design services, my mate ordered web design services from them, and it was the best design I've seen so far, the speed of fulfillment of the orders, the quality of it, and the price is one the top
Thanks for the information.