Advanced GET

Trdr

Having read the MTPredictor thread, here's a start for an AG thread.

When I first began trading I read ‘Elliott Wave Principle : Key to Market Behavior' by Frost and Prechter which made sense to me, hence my interest in AG. I have the eod version which will auto update MetaStock, TradeStation, ASCII etc file formats. I also have an indicator in MetaTrader 4 (forex) that creates pseudo Daily charts of all the intraday timeframes which are then able to be displayed by AG where price data/charts are updated by re-opening AG — think AG oed can now load intraday data.

In the 1998 'A Mechanical Trading System', Tom Joseph says:
"About 65% of EW analysis is made up of complex rules which can be dissected in numerous ways. Ten analysts can easily come up with 10 different answers.", and there you have the problem of EW and to some extent, AG.

AG is a relatively simple and easy to use program that works very quickly; the eod version can't do scans and has a few less indicators than the current realtime version but I think has all the other tools. I see there's no difference in price between eod/rt, surprising, so both versions are expensive, the eod version is occasionally offered for sale on ebay and elsewhere on the web.

So why would you own AG ? would you trade with/from it ? I've never done so actually, I use it as an EW resource and use MetaStock as my main rt charting program. What separates AG from other charting programs is it can EW label the price bars, but, such labeling can and does change (common complaint of those who've tried and dropped using AG) as the Price Movement progresses and one anyway has to know EW sufficiently well to apply it independantly of AG — or any other EW software, otherwise trades based on AG's 'current' labeling may produce a losing trade.
AG does have 2 often very accurate tools, the Ellipse and MOB which both display visual targets where the price is expected to hit.
I don't like AG's Fibonacci Extension tool and it can't be copy/pasted as in MS, tho the Regression Channels tool is very good.
In a sense I've got AG so I use it but don't think I'd spend $4K to own it, as aside from the EW labeling, I don't think AG can do any more that a basic charting program that has a good fibo and channel tool. One other matter is that custom indicators can't be programmed into AG, nor trading systems for that matter so that may be a large limitation. eSignal does offer a free trial of sorts so study up on AG's features and give it a try.

following has lots of charts, examples of tools use + pdfs:
http://share.esignal.com/groupconte...tures&picture=07 - snapshot-39.png&groupid=20

The attached png shows 4 timeframes, note the lower right chart, eurusd 4H and how uninformative the EW labeling can be.

AG, and programs such as Dynamic Trader, Fibonacci Trader, MTP and others are in a sense trading systems, they aren't 'just charting programs'. These programs have a philosophy and method in how they should be used, that is the programs author's ideas of how to trade Price Movement, so one really has to study their 'how to' and learn to apply to advantage those features unique to the program that hopefully lead to profitable trades.

Digressing: the Yahoo MetaTrader_Experts_and_Indicators forum has a gzillion EAs (Expert Advisor/trading system)
and msg # 44326: "LETS ALL WORK TOGETHER TO MAKE THE HOLY GRAIL EXPERT. I think its better is we all work together and decide to make 1 EA. The best profitable one and stick with it to fine tune to perfection. I find that there are too many EA out there and getting confused." Bud Foxx.

then there's msg # 44593:
"1,972 PIPS [$s] in less than a month - this is not a joke.
hi everyone, check this out. i got this off the main 4xmadeeasy yahoo board. this guy named Andy Stapleton from forexmgr.com cleared 1,972 PIPS since August 14th! i went ahead and cut and pasted the message below [omitted] for everyone here to check out. trading the pivot point strategy [with MetaTrader 4] in an oscillating market is the thing to do obviously." G. Dalpino
"Total trades since the 14th 55 47 positive Trades for $2,110 8 negative trades for $138 Net total pips = $1,972" Andy <<Cowboy>> Stapleton [personally I prefer fibos to pivots]

I suppose then one should be asking 'what charting program will produce the most profits' ? and, if one can read-up a program's 'how to', would one need to buy the program ?

Attachments

• ag 4.png
    ag 4.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 4,597
  • AGET Features.pdf
    738.1 KB · Views: 1,085
  • Advanced Get - Mechanical Trading System.pdf
    886.6 KB · Views: 1,854
id stay a million miles away from anything e-signal have to offer.

their products may be functionally rich, but in the end, you pay too much for a load of stuff you dont need or use (false perception of value?), that doesnt work when you really need it.

esignal = bad trade imo.

Robert Tasse's AGet

Come on charliechan, give them some credit – esignal, I mean; their scans work quite well, if nothing else.
If you have got MetaStock and want something close to AGet, I would suggest that you visit this link : www.alphaomegaew.com ; Robert Tasse, the man who designed the add-on, included a set of explorations and templates to trade AGet style, and in addition, you can modify them to your favourite sensitivity (8%, 13%, 34%, etc…) of price retracements.
Personally, I haven’t found AGet so infallible, though, at least with end-of-day data; but the add-on does what it says on the label, so I’d suggest that you give it a try.
Also, it is a great deal cheaper than esignal products.

Oops! wrong URL!

ZEPPO said:
Come on charliechan, give them some credit – esignal, I mean; their scans work quite well, if nothing else.
If you have got MetaStock and want something close to AGet, I would suggest that you visit this link : www.alphaomegaew.com ; Robert Tasse, the man who designed the add-on, included a set of explorations and templates to trade AGet style, and in addition, you can modify them to your favourite sensitivity (8%, 13%, 34%, etc…) of price retracements.
Personally, I haven’t found AGet so infallible, though, at least with end-of-day data; but the add-on does what it says on the label, so I’d suggest that you give it a try.
Also, it is a great deal cheaper than esignal products.

Er, I meant www.alphomegaew.com :eek:

Re Alphomega: tried it but didn't like it. It's a virtual program in itself having so many indicators but the problem is with MS as most indicators unlike AG won't project past the last price bar.
Using AG one can copy the EW labeling, Ellipse and MOB targets and mark them on MS charts.

There've been several brokers in the past offering AG to clients for 'free', here's a forex broker's offer — abbreviated:
"minimum of $1,000 in your account. . . at least 10 trades per calendar month and maintain a minimum of $1,000 in your account."
http://www.forex.ca/Forex_Advanced_Get_Charts.html

There may also be similar offers by stock/futures brokers, perhaps eSignal would provide a list of such brokers.

UK cutomers not welcome!

Trdr said:
There've been several brokers in the past offering AG to clients for 'free', here's a forex broker's offer — abbreviated:
"minimum of $1,000 in your account. . . at least 10 trades per calendar month and maintain a minimum of $1,000 in your account."
http://www.forex.ca/Forex_Advanced_Get_Charts.html

There may also be similar offers by stock/futures brokers, perhaps eSignal would provide a list of such brokers.

I have just visited the site and looks like a good deal; it is unfortunate that UK traders cannot participate, as it appear that the law forbids Forex.ca from doing business with us.
And I thought that some UK laws were eccentric... :(

some editing:

" I got my upgrade a few weeks ago to the latest [Advanced GET] Version. ESignal sent out quite a lot of material with it. But I am seriously questioning why it exists ? Nothing seems to have changed from the 7.5 Version much aside from The DashBoard - which I can replicate in 7.5. With things such as the seasonals not changed since 1999 ! It makes me wonder. Has anyone else upgraded and enjoyed it ? What am I missing ? Regards David Hunt."
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/get_traders/message/3679

" I upgraded 3 weeks ago to GET EOD Dashboard 9.1 and still have not got it running to my satisfaction. I agree that there does not seem to be any useful improvement and I have the
additional problem of not being able to open a chart by double clicking on the issue in the "search" and "quotes" pages, which I thought I could do in the previous version. Regards Mark Nodwell."
http://tech.groups.yahoo.com/group/get_traders/message/3682

If you haven't read it the 'Catch 22' pdf is a
" . . . study to identify a practical trading system with a reasonable expectation of positive returns
year after year, in both up markets and down, executed by the average trader using eod data.
" Advanced GET was the clear standout among the test in this study." — trading methods not
software . . . "This was the first model tested and all others were devised in an attempt to beat it."

Attachments

• Catch22.pdf
    821.1 KB · Views: 1,095
Hello Folks,

I know that you like to trade and have the best software available. So do I. You may have received some ads about people who provide you with the latest trading programs for a small price. Some of them are scammers and will take your money and run away. One of them is buytradingsoftware.com. Please don't send money to them. They will not deliver what they claim.

Cheers

Thank you

pacorro said:
Hello Folks,

I know that you like to trade and have the best software available. So do I. You may have received some ads about people who provide you with the latest trading programs for a small price. Some of them are scammers and will take your money and run away. One of them is buytradingsoftware.com. Please don't send money to them. They will not deliver what they claim.

Cheers
Thanks for telling us, pacorro.
Eduardo :)

Dear Trdr,
Your post is very good. Can I quote you from the first post in some other place where a question has been asked on ADGet?

Regards

Hello Beginner_av, thanks and sure, help yourself or just post the link.

Advanced GET eod how-to pdfs

9.25MB zip contains a collection of 35 files written mostly by
Marc Rinehart who worked with AG's developer Tom Joseph
and moved with him to DynamicTrends.

includes 'AG Mechanical Trading System' and the AG Manual

While the files are several years old, the information they
provide still remains helpful, useful and applicable today.

http://www.savefile.com/files/596965