A Nudge In The Right Direction

Thomas2Trade

1 1
Hello, All!

My name is Tom, and I'm a 56 year old man in the US, and I've flirted with the idea of trading with a small percentage of my portfolio. Right now I have about a $100K investment portfolio, mostly invested in a momentum-based ETF Tactical Allocation Strategy (taken from the book "Muscular Portfolios") that have done very well for me. I'm looking to take a small percentage of my portfolio and trade a bit more actively. I've looked into this before, and when you look for ideas online, or look for good books about trading, there is a lot of chaff with the wheat. I'd like to list a few things that I'm hoping to do, and ask if anyone can steer me in the right direction to begin this project. I appreciate any advice you can offer!

So, here are some elements of my dream trading system:

1) Instruments traded (at least to start): Equities and ETF's (The leverage involved in options are daunting to me as a beginner, and "spread betting," "binary options" and "contracts for difference" strike me as being more like gambling than investing--basically placing a bet on which way an asset will go with no real ownership (if this is an incorrect statement, I'd love to hear about it, and why) ;-)

2) As I currently work throught the stock market hours, I would need to have a plan that I could work mainly outside of market hours--perhaps I could place trades or check in on a break or lunch hour, but most of the heavy lifting would have to be done outside market hours.

3) Time invested: I'm aware that this would take a time commitment, but for the most part I would love to be able to begin, practice, and ultimately implement the plan in 30-45 minutes per day. The wife and kids like to see me occasionally! ;-)

4) Trading Style: Either swing trading on daily charts, or short-medium term trend following (I would consider momentum strategies as well). I conside what I'm currently doing to be a form of position trading, and I'd love to be able to be a bit more active in my trading with this system.

5) I would like to be able to start small--with paper trading, and then perhaps with a small amount of capital, and then perhaps grow my trading position as I get better at it.

I have begun reading the introductory information on the forum, but just wanted to see if there were any suggestions out there. I'm don't expect a "do these steps exactly" answer, but would love a nudge in the right direction (and if that nudge is, "you're being totally unrealistic, Tom, what you are looking for above simply doesn't exist," I'm open to hearing that too. I appreciate any thoughts which you may be able to share with me!

Thanks!

Tom

Reactions: Arongroups.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock