A New Policy?

Your choice of course, but if you're going to refuse to delete posts that the users themselves want deleted, and yet happily delete posts that the users spent time on and want to remain, you are now giving two very good reasons not to post anything at all.

:clap::clap::clap: absolutely hits the nail on the head. This is fast becoming a masterclass in how to destroy a forum

Just speaking for myself, I find it disappointing.

When faced with material that breaches the rules, you can ban the poster (temp or perm), lock the thread so it drifts away but people can at least see why it was locked, or delete the entire thread.

The last option is most offensive to me, and I'd hope you reconsider this policy. Not only does it mean that posters who gave genuine non-rule breaking posts have their time and effort destroyed unfairly, but it also engenders a 'them against us' atmosphere and a 'why do I bother' attitude. If I see a thread with a pic of a c@ck, and it is locked and the poster is banned, I think fair enough, the poster knew what he was doing, Mods doing their job well, and I think most would think the same. If the thread is gone and I see no evidence, I'm left to make a conclusion about the Mods who have just unfairly deleted posts I spent time on. Needless to say, the Mods do not look good in this light. I'm reminded of the childhood days when I used to get class detention almost every day, just for being in the worst class in the school. Never respected it, never respected those that enforced it.

Your choice of course, but if you're going to refuse to delete posts that the users themselves want deleted, and yet happily delete posts that the users spent time on and want to remain, you are now giving double the reasons not to post anything at all.

In a perfect world you're right, of course, shakey.

The reason the threads were deleted were ones that had fast moved off topic and become a slanging match between participants (not all) and ones where they had been obviously started deliberately for a lulz fest.

They simply weren't worth all the time to carefully edit.

jon

Re Shakone's point I think I'm inclined to agree

If T2W are still (were they ever?) taking suggestions on improving the membership experience, may I suggest that the offensive content is just replaced with a *deleted offensive content* type thingy or something?

Re Shakone's point I think I'm inclined to agree

If T2W are still (were they ever?) taking suggestions on improving the membership experience, may I suggest that the offensive content is just replaced with a *deleted offensive content* type thingy or something?

That's generally what happens, scose, but unfortunately you can't see it because it was thought disruptive to threads to have them littered with a series of "post deleted because....." posts. Mods and T2W staff can see what's been deleted and why but not the general membership. My personal view is that it might be better if all could see, but is is very disruptive and irritating to anyone trying to follow a discussion and having to scroll down through a load of such posts to get to the next one they are interested in.

ones where they had been obviously started deliberately for a lulz fest.

They simply weren't worth all the time to carefully edit.

jon

That is perfectly fair, and I wouldn't expect anyone to trawl through bikini pictures and transcripts of my telephone conversations, just in case there is anything worth preserving in there.

Nonetheless, members do like nonsense threads, and they also like to pursue their vendettas (or chomp popcorn on the sidelines of the vendettas of others). The Dennis Richards thread (for example) that I started was enlivened by some interventions from Toast, which developed or descended into a fairly amusing slanging match. I hope I do not go too far if I say there were also some genuinely worthy displays of wit, albeit exercised in an unworthy cause.

Someone made the observation that it was the most viewed thread of the last 7 days. I checked the stats and indeed it was - by 5 times. That is the point - such things are popular.

Would it not be possible to have a subsection of the forum - The Sand Pit, or Play Pen, or whatever - where such threads can be started or placed? A number of posters derived considerable amusement from a thread where they repeatedly posted repetitions of other posts (inspired by the activities of I presume a bot). Childish, but harmless, and good for the sense of community. There are countless examples of such things, and such threads could all go into this new section.

This would keep all the sniping and nonsense in one place, provide an answer to some of the criticisms currently being levelled at the site, and strengthen the legitimacy of deleting such things elsewhere. "If you want to act like children, go to the f***ing play pen. Be advised, the banning finger hovers ominously" and so forth.

I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.

...............I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.............

well, people generally have a good time mucking about until muck becomes MUCK when a halt is called and the cleaning van arrives. I also think the the enjoyment is mostly had while it's going on and I wouldn't have thought such threads are avidly sought out in the archives for a read.

You know as well as I do that most of it is offensive to the guidelines, in one way or another, right from the off so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

You know as well as I do that most of it is offensive to the guidelines, in one way or another, right from the off so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

I've never read them, but I don't doubt it for a second. :LOL:

That is perfectly fair, and I wouldn't expect anyone to trawl through bikini pictures and transcripts of my telephone conversations with the pre-op transsexual who employs Dionysus Toast in his/her ladyboy knocking shop, just in case there is anything worth preserving in there.

Nonetheless, members do like nonsense threads, and they also like to pursue their vendettas (or chomp popcorn on the sidelines of the vendettas of others). The Dennis Richards thread (for example) that I started was enlivened by some interventions from Toast, which developed or descended into a fairly amusing slanging match. I hope I do not go too far if I say there were also some genuinely worthy displays of wit, albeit exercised in an unworthy cause.

Someone made the observation that it was the most viewed thread of the last 7 days. I checked the stats and indeed it was - by 5 times. That is the point - such things are popular.

Would it not be possible to have a subsection of the forum - The Sand Pit, or Play Pen, or whatever - where such threads can be started or placed? A number of posters derived considerable amusement from a thread where they repeatedly posted repetitions of other posts (inspired by the activities of I presume a bot). Childish, but harmless, and good for the sense of community. There are countless examples of such things, and such threads could all go into this new section.

This would keep all the sniping and nonsense in one place, provide an answer to some of the criticisms currently being levelled at the site, and strengthen the legitimacy of deleting such things elsewhere. "If you want to act like children, go to the f***ing play pen. Be advised, the banning finger hovers ominously" and so forth.

I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.

er, i do believe they have just done away with the sandpit. but no matter, the foyer was indeed the place for off topic banter, japes and general tomfoolery. i didn't see when the thread met it's end and how bad it got to get the whole thread binned, i can only assume it wasn't pleasant. but you're right the thread was indeed popular viewer wise on the 7 day stats. way out in front of the rest. so if the thread couldn't exist as a foyer thread, then i'd like to ask what the foyer thread has now become? and also were there reports due to the thread?

9138-lightning-mcqueen-albums-charts-picture2862-dennis-richards-top-10-stats.jpg

When faced with material that breaches the rules, you can ban the poster (temp or perm), lock the thread so it drifts away but people can at least see why it was locked, or delete the entire thread.

The last option is most offensive to me, and I'd hope you reconsider this policy.
Not only does it mean that posters who gave genuine non-rule breaking posts have their time and effort destroyed unfairly, but it also engenders a 'them against us' atmosphere and a 'why do I bother' attitude..

I agree with all of the sentiments above. I hope that the Mods have a long and considered re-read of the above statements).

I saw a thread that I had posted in get deleted and my immediate reaction was a strong feeling of "why did I bother". I actually left the forum for a couple of months after that issue but decided to come back after I saw an outrageous scam being set up here.

I also think the the enjoyment is mostly had while it's going on and I wouldn't have thought such threads are avidly sought out in the archives for a read.

i concur, how dare members have fun in the present.

we need this forum to represent a library, you know, that place which was made redundant by the internet......er, doh.

how ironic.

so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

Indeed I have, and for this I am grateful. :)

But I do expect things to be very different henceforth.

'Ah, but,' I hear you say, 'tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.'

Well, yes, but not always. So that's it. And not before time, as I'm sure you'll agree. :)

I agree with all of the sentiments above. I hope that the Mods have a long and considered re-read of the above statements).

The mods are not really the problem (and at least one of them knows that :LOL:)

oh well, its all great lulz while it lasts