A New Policy?

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
No word from teh regime? Has anyone else noticed the phenomenon?

A matter like this needs careful handling. Cleaning up the boards is one thing, but if the community aspect of T2W is lost it will undoubtedly put off many of the most prolific content-generators. Also, I would imagine that most people who trade successfully view this principally as a place for recreation and occasional trading-related discussion than as a place to talk about nothing but trading.

lep

you probably missed my reply to hare on another thread while you were away http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foyer/154642-future-t2w-under-steve-12.html#post1955344 .

when the pot boils over a lot of peripheral stuff gets swept up by the cleaner :)

The Leopard

Experienced member
1,877 1,020
lep

you probably missed my reply to hare on another thread while you were away http://www.trade2win.com/boards/foyer/154642-future-t2w-under-steve-12.html#post1955344 .

when the pot boils over a lot of peripheral stuff gets swept up by the cleaner :)

Since it is you, I will take your word for it. Nonetheless, I have dark forebodings.

I sense plottings afoot in the loftiest eeries of Castle T2W. As the honest guardian standing on the battlements, I am sure you have no knowledge of them.

But I seem to see the lamps going out all over T2wland; I fear we shall not see them lit again in our time.

Shakone

2,458 665
lep

Just speaking for myself, I find it disappointing.

When faced with material that breaches the rules, you can ban the poster (temp or perm), lock the thread so it drifts away but people can at least see why it was locked, or delete the entire thread.

The last option is most offensive to me, and I'd hope you reconsider this policy. Not only does it mean that posters who gave genuine non-rule breaking posts have their time and effort destroyed unfairly, but it also engenders a 'them against us' atmosphere and a 'why do I bother' attitude. If I see a thread with a pic of a [email protected], and it is locked and the poster is banned, I think fair enough, the poster knew what he was doing, Mods doing their job well, and I think most would think the same. If the thread is gone and I see no evidence, I'm left to make a conclusion about the Mods who have just unfairly deleted posts I spent time on. Needless to say, the Mods do not look good in this light. I'm reminded of the childhood days when I used to get class detention almost every day, just for being in the worst class in the school. Never respected it, never respected those that enforced it.

Your choice of course, but if you're going to refuse to delete posts that the users themselves want deleted, and yet happily delete posts that the users spent time on and want to remain, you are now giving double the reasons not to post anything at all.

the hare

2,949 1,283
Your choice of course, but if you're going to refuse to delete posts that the users themselves want deleted, and yet happily delete posts that the users spent time on and want to remain, you are now giving two very good reasons not to post anything at all.

:clap::clap::clap: absolutely hits the nail on the head. This is fast becoming a masterclass in how to destroy a forum

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
Just speaking for myself, I find it disappointing.

When faced with material that breaches the rules, you can ban the poster (temp or perm), lock the thread so it drifts away but people can at least see why it was locked, or delete the entire thread.

The last option is most offensive to me, and I'd hope you reconsider this policy. Not only does it mean that posters who gave genuine non-rule breaking posts have their time and effort destroyed unfairly, but it also engenders a 'them against us' atmosphere and a 'why do I bother' attitude. If I see a thread with a pic of a [email protected], and it is locked and the poster is banned, I think fair enough, the poster knew what he was doing, Mods doing their job well, and I think most would think the same. If the thread is gone and I see no evidence, I'm left to make a conclusion about the Mods who have just unfairly deleted posts I spent time on. Needless to say, the Mods do not look good in this light. I'm reminded of the childhood days when I used to get class detention almost every day, just for being in the worst class in the school. Never respected it, never respected those that enforced it.

Your choice of course, but if you're going to refuse to delete posts that the users themselves want deleted, and yet happily delete posts that the users spent time on and want to remain, you are now giving double the reasons not to post anything at all.

In a perfect world you're right, of course, shakey.

The reason the threads were deleted were ones that had fast moved off topic and become a slanging match between participants (not all) and ones where they had been obviously started deliberately for a lulz fest.

They simply weren't worth all the time to carefully edit.

jon

Reactions: scose-no-doubt

scose-no-doubt

Veteren member
4,630 954
Re Shakone's point I think I'm inclined to agree

If T2W are still (were they ever?) taking suggestions on improving the membership experience, may I suggest that the offensive content is just replaced with a *deleted offensive content* type thingy or something?

Reactions: the hare

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
Re Shakone's point I think I'm inclined to agree

If T2W are still (were they ever?) taking suggestions on improving the membership experience, may I suggest that the offensive content is just replaced with a *deleted offensive content* type thingy or something?

That's generally what happens, scose, but unfortunately you can't see it because it was thought disruptive to threads to have them littered with a series of "post deleted because....." posts. Mods and T2W staff can see what's been deleted and why but not the general membership. My personal view is that it might be better if all could see, but is is very disruptive and irritating to anyone trying to follow a discussion and having to scroll down through a load of such posts to get to the next one they are interested in.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock