A New Policy?

The Leopard

Experienced member
1,877 1,020
ones where they had been obviously started deliberately for a lulz fest.

They simply weren't worth all the time to carefully edit.

jon

That is perfectly fair, and I wouldn't expect anyone to trawl through bikini pictures and transcripts of my telephone conversations, just in case there is anything worth preserving in there.

Nonetheless, members do like nonsense threads, and they also like to pursue their vendettas (or chomp popcorn on the sidelines of the vendettas of others). The Dennis Richards thread (for example) that I started was enlivened by some interventions from Toast, which developed or descended into a fairly amusing slanging match. I hope I do not go too far if I say there were also some genuinely worthy displays of wit, albeit exercised in an unworthy cause.

Someone made the observation that it was the most viewed thread of the last 7 days. I checked the stats and indeed it was - by 5 times. That is the point - such things are popular.

Would it not be possible to have a subsection of the forum - The Sand Pit, or Play Pen, or whatever - where such threads can be started or placed? A number of posters derived considerable amusement from a thread where they repeatedly posted repetitions of other posts (inspired by the activities of I presume a bot). Childish, but harmless, and good for the sense of community. There are countless examples of such things, and such threads could all go into this new section.

This would keep all the sniping and nonsense in one place, provide an answer to some of the criticisms currently being levelled at the site, and strengthen the legitimacy of deleting such things elsewhere. "If you want to act like children, go to the f***ing play pen. Be advised, the banning finger hovers ominously" and so forth.

I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.

Reactions: rsh01

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
...............I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.............

well, people generally have a good time mucking about until muck becomes MUCK when a halt is called and the cleaning van arrives. I also think the the enjoyment is mostly had while it's going on and I wouldn't have thought such threads are avidly sought out in the archives for a read.

You know as well as I do that most of it is offensive to the guidelines, in one way or another, right from the off so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

The Leopard

Experienced member
1,877 1,020
You know as well as I do that most of it is offensive to the guidelines, in one way or another, right from the off so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

I've never read them, but I don't doubt it for a second. :LOL:

Lightning McQueen

4,936 788
That is perfectly fair, and I wouldn't expect anyone to trawl through bikini pictures and transcripts of my telephone conversations with the pre-op transsexual who employs Dionysus Toast in his/her ladyboy knocking shop, just in case there is anything worth preserving in there.

Nonetheless, members do like nonsense threads, and they also like to pursue their vendettas (or chomp popcorn on the sidelines of the vendettas of others). The Dennis Richards thread (for example) that I started was enlivened by some interventions from Toast, which developed or descended into a fairly amusing slanging match. I hope I do not go too far if I say there were also some genuinely worthy displays of wit, albeit exercised in an unworthy cause.

Someone made the observation that it was the most viewed thread of the last 7 days. I checked the stats and indeed it was - by 5 times. That is the point - such things are popular.

Would it not be possible to have a subsection of the forum - The Sand Pit, or Play Pen, or whatever - where such threads can be started or placed? A number of posters derived considerable amusement from a thread where they repeatedly posted repetitions of other posts (inspired by the activities of I presume a bot). Childish, but harmless, and good for the sense of community. There are countless examples of such things, and such threads could all go into this new section.

This would keep all the sniping and nonsense in one place, provide an answer to some of the criticisms currently being levelled at the site, and strengthen the legitimacy of deleting such things elsewhere. "If you want to act like children, go to the f***ing play pen. Be advised, the banning finger hovers ominously" and so forth.

I don't think cleaning up the boards and having a place for members to muck about are necessarily mutually exclusive.

er, i do believe they have just done away with the sandpit. but no matter, the foyer was indeed the place for off topic banter, japes and general tomfoolery. i didn't see when the thread met it's end and how bad it got to get the whole thread binned, i can only assume it wasn't pleasant. but you're right the thread was indeed popular viewer wise on the 7 day stats. way out in front of the rest. so if the thread couldn't exist as a foyer thread, then i'd like to ask what the foyer thread has now become? and also were there reports due to the thread?

9138-lightning-mcqueen-albums-charts-picture2862-dennis-richards-top-10-stats.jpg

shewolf

195 28
When faced with material that breaches the rules, you can ban the poster (temp or perm), lock the thread so it drifts away but people can at least see why it was locked, or delete the entire thread.

The last option is most offensive to me, and I'd hope you reconsider this policy.
Not only does it mean that posters who gave genuine non-rule breaking posts have their time and effort destroyed unfairly, but it also engenders a 'them against us' atmosphere and a 'why do I bother' attitude..

I agree with all of the sentiments above. I hope that the Mods have a long and considered re-read of the above statements).

I saw a thread that I had posted in get deleted and my immediate reaction was a strong feeling of "why did I bother". I actually left the forum for a couple of months after that issue but decided to come back after I saw an outrageous scam being set up here.

rsh01

Experienced member
1,184 299
I also think the the enjoyment is mostly had while it's going on and I wouldn't have thought such threads are avidly sought out in the archives for a read.

i concur, how dare members have fun in the present.

we need this forum to represent a library, you know, that place which was made redundant by the internet......er, doh.

how ironic.

The Leopard

Experienced member
1,877 1,020
so at least you've been able to enjoy it while it lasted :)

Indeed I have, and for this I am grateful. :)

But I do expect things to be very different henceforth.

'Ah, but,' I hear you say, 'tempora mutantur, nos et mutamur in illis.'

Well, yes, but not always. So that's it. And not before time, as I'm sure you'll agree. :)

the hare

2,949 1,283
I agree with all of the sentiments above. I hope that the Mods have a long and considered re-read of the above statements).

The mods are not really the problem (and at least one of them knows that :LOL:)

oh well, its all great lulz while it lasts

robster970

Veteren member
4,566 1,390
Shakone's post accurately represents how I feel about the judicious deletion of lulz threads, especially those in The Foyer.

I'm already short T2W and long e-mail/chat. This isn't an arb either. Watching the fabric of the community spirit being systematically crushed isn't pleasant and I haven't the inclination to get a bag of popcorn and watch it happening either.

barjon

Legendary member
10,705 1,809
Shakone's post accurately represents how I feel about the judicious deletion of lulz threads, especially those in The Foyer.

I'm already short T2W and long e-mail/chat. This isn't an arb either. Watching the fabric of the community spirit being systematically crushed isn't pleasant and I haven't the inclination to get a bag of popcorn and watch it happening either.

robs

There's not much community spirit in ganging up on another member however funny the jibes might be, nor is lavatory humour particular pleasant however much kids might snigger at it behind the bike sheds.

the hare

2,949 1,283
There's not much community spirit in ganging up on another member however funny the jibes might be.

In principle I agree. However I do think this is a particularly complex case, and cant be judged by normal rules.

The member in question is a vendor, with a particular agenda.

His agenda, coincides with t2w's objective of dumbing down site content, and that's possibly why he's allowed to get away with this behavior. You are probably aware, he doesn't get away with this stuff at forums that have more of a focus on trading related issues. I dont blame him for exploiting this situation, and I dont blame you for allowing it. Its mutually beneficial to both parties, and that's fine.

However, what you are witnessing is a backlash against this situation. You and I both know that inevitably the few traders that exist here will be removed, and you'll be free to pursue your agenda, but not without a whole host of new problems that this approach will bring.

Like rob, I'm short t2w (and I got a great entry right at the top !) but unlike rob I am along for the ride, and I have buckets of popcorn in store.

Reactions: timsk

robster970

Veteren member
4,566 1,390
robs

There's not much community spirit in ganging up on another member however funny the jibes might be, nor is lavatory humour particular pleasant however much kids might snigger at it behind the bike sheds.

I'm not referring to the slanging matches Jon - mods are well within their rights and site guidelines to curb stuff once it moves from logical discourse to outright insults. This is not what I am referring to.

Consider this. A bunch of people passing time of day with meandering conversation. That conversation is often lulzy as we enjoy each others company and the content. This is underpinned by the basic tenet of freedom of expression. A good example was the spambot thread we all jumped on in a puerile way. Was this really insulting or lavatory? Really Jon?

I see freedom of expression being curbed - a far more subtle and sinister problem. That is my gripe. Not the specifics of events but the tone of the environment.

This is not an attack at you Jon btw, you know I have a lot of time for you as I do many of the regular posters on these boards for both their witty nature and occasional insights into trading but the environment rather than the forum structure appears to be becoming increasingly oppressive.

kimo'sabby

Experienced member
1,622 287
How old do you have to be to spreadbet,...18 innit? Surely this site should be for 18+ 'adults' only? If someone under 18 is allowed to read this site then there is something very wrong??

Let adults be adults...get ya c*cks out boys!!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

But it's thanks to our sponsors that access to Trade2Win remains free for all. By viewing our ads you help us pay our bills, so please support the site and disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock