A good trader never says what he's buying or selling because...

Because your trade is based on your own analysis.
When you publicize your trade you have explain why, this might then conflict with other views and analysis, You then doubt your own judgment. End up closing your trade, only to see it go the way your analysis predicted earlier.

Not true. This is just superstition. It can't make any difference to a position in a fluid market if even the whole of T2W know about it. Of course, some people conceal their positions becase a) they don't have one, or b) it doesn't have any basis in TA etc.

Not true. This is just superstition. It can't make any difference to a position in a fluid market if even the whole of T2W know about it. Of course, some people conceal their positions becase a) they don't have one, or b) it doesn't have any basis in TA etc.

a while back, someone from hedge fund told me they never ever disclose their strategy to others because they claim couldnt imagine a very big market for it if everyone knows it.. this is confusing.. which one suppose to be true? :rolleyes:

understand

a while back, someone from hedge fund told me they never ever disclose their strategy to others because they claim couldnt imagine a very big market for it if everyone knows it.. this is confusing.. which one suppose to be true? :rolleyes:
understand what you mean now,if you were running a hedge fund,you buy low,spread the rumour hoping people buy the story, then they sell when everyone is buying higher,infact when they buy they tell everyone,then they get out and short it.like they say you got to be on the inside ,not the outside

My view is, its a emotion aspect rather than fact. I don't class my myself as a super trader or anything like that, but have been affected by others putting a different analysis on a particular trade.

I agree with most of what you are saying,but when You are taking one view and you have a whole lot of traders saying something opposite it has a effect on you emotionally

understand what you mean now,if you were running a hedge fund,you buy low,spread the rumour hoping people buy the story, then they sell when everyone is buying higher,infact when they buy they tell everyone,then they get out and short it.like they say you got to be on the inside ,not the outside

thats my point, lets put it into a scenario

assume Mr. A had special technique how to make money in the market and he has capital about $100 and able to turn it into $1000

so like everybody else, you and me were very interested and asking Mr. A how he manage to do that, so in this case Mr. A doesnt want to disclose his technique and continue to trade as usual. now everyone like you and me was frustrated and asking what about mr.A manage the money for them..

the bottom line is doesnt matter either mr.A going to trade other's money & not disclosing the technique or completely opposite(reveal everything and his trading plan) technically speaking im seeing this would heading to disaster..

we assume here, neither mr A. would trade others money or disclosing his technique. with current $1000 capital mr. A had, he would continue to trade and actually this is actually same as disclosing his technique (sooner or later) because the fact is

his current $1000, will grow to $1100 or someone learn his technique and starts with $100

at the end, the fact does not change which is only matter of who had the money.

so fact is

either $1000 or someone else learn and starts with $100, both mr A. and other will entry at the same time (total : amount $1100)

or

(later)..
mr A. doesnt reveal his technique and also didnt manage money, so when the amount ups to $1100, & continue to trade. dont you all think its the same?

excuse my bad english, tell me if you dont understand. :(

I can't imagine that what we say on here about the GBP/USD or Gold the FTSE or the Dow will ever affect the market so severely as to neutralise the value of a position. These markets are just too vast. It doesn't matter to my position if everyone thinks the FTSE is going up, that just means that everyone will buy it and thank you very much, there's a nice trend I can ride. And I trust that the big City traders aren't waiting for tomorton to disclose his positions so they can take a contrary view (though it seems that way sometimes).

As far as emotional effects on me of other people's positions, none. Knowledge of my positions might have an emotional effect on others, but that's there look-out. My aim on disclosing positions on here is only a follow-up to discussions with other traders on methodologies and strategies, live testing if you like. My positions aren't judgement calls, except in their size perhaps - I am sometimes persuaded on hearing other traders' TA to use a cautious smaller-than-usual position - but that's no bad thing.