A Good Quote...

Hollu$

Does anyone know any really good quotes that I could use?

I am starting to write my Personal Statement today to apply for a Masters in Banking & Finance at Newcastle University and I like quotes!

I would like to start it with a quote.

My Personal Statement also needs to be AMAZING as I did (well doing) a Degree that isn't even connected to Finance/Maths/Economics/Business its wild...so it needs to catch their attention and think: "I would like Holly in my class!"

Haha...any general tips/advice?

I can have a max of 1500 words

I did consider this quote:- "Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. " or "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way"

As my main point is that I have years of experience...which is good and they like that :smart:

Thank you!! Holly xx

"An education isn't how much you have committed to memory, or even how much you know. It's being able to differentiate between what you do know and what you don't."

Anatole France

And then build on that, saying you have experience, but also realize what is still missing, your Masters.

If you don't know where to go any road will take you, but as you do know you've chosen your path that's taking you back to Uni.

Didn't know you had to write essays to get into Uni in the UK.

Interesting concept.

Generally I'd say they'd want to hear that you know pretty exactly where you will be later on in your life, show ambition and drive, that kinda thing, tell them you're a Hedge Fund manager / CEO of the future, etc.

;)

Best of luck !

Thank you!

Yes you do. So far I have had to go through a huge application form online, now I just need my Personal Statement then I'm done. Newcastle is one of the top schools in the UK - it is ranked 21 out of 114.

Yes they state that they like applicants "with a plan for the future"

21 out of 114 eh, sounds great.

I'd really post some extraordinary life objectives then, I mean everybody wants to be a CEO who does subjects like that at Uni, that way you'd be one of hundreds or thousands of applicants, but if you say your dream is that you want to start a hedge fund, and give something back to society, etc, ticking all sorts of yes-we-want-Holly-boxes, well, my guess would be that you would definitely be in a tiny minority, and really increase your chances of getting in that way.

Plus you are on here, so probably know enough about what goes or what doesn't in trading to make a good case for yourself.

"Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. " or "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way"

Hi Holly, just a word of warning if you were considering those quotes you gave above. You do NOT want to apply to a university, and have your application read by a professor (in whatever field) and try to educate him on the difference between education and experience. That is what it will come across as when you write "do you know the difference between... it is...". Who is the one who will be doing the lecturing? You or them? :) It also sounds a little pithy,and that is the problem with quotes in personal statements. You can come across as a smart ass.

He probably has a lot of both education and experience, so he is more likely to be insulted by the first quote than impressed. Some professors in academia can be very small minded, and full of ego. Just because they are intelligent doesn't mean they can't be petty.

The second quote is just plain weird. I wouldn't use that either.

Also the sad truth is that the personal statement is one of the least important factors in you being admitted. They will look at past degrees, where you did them and what you obtained. If you haven't obtained your marks for the degree yet, they will look at reference letters, otherwise reference letters are also not very important unless you have a glowing one from somebody famous. THey will then compare the number of suitable candidates - with the right degrees and grades - with the number of places they have available on the course. If they already have filled it, you could be out of luck without your personal statement even being read. If they still have places, then they might consider your personal statement as a factor.

Thanks for the reply Cal.

I guess I didn't think about that with the quotes. I'm just really nervous about it - I need to stand out and I don't know how to make that happen. I'm finding this personal statement a lot harder than I originally thought :confused:

Holly, I suggest you keep it relevant to yourself - don't cut and paste random quotes from the internet - they will impress no-one no matter how clever they are. I think you'll do much better showing your own enthusiasm for the subject, talk about your experience and how it's made you want to apply for this course.

Keep it personal.

Holly, I suggest you keep it relevant to yourself - don't cut and paste random quotes from the internet - they will impress no-one no matter how clever they are. I think you'll do much better showing your own enthusiasm for the subject, talk about your experience and how it's made you want to apply for this course.

Keep it personal.

I'd agree with that. The professors that I know, wouldn't be impressed by what I suspect a top class UK University would regard as bull$hit and of the smart-ar$e genre. (Perhaps ok if you're going into media / advertising / politics?:LOL:)

You have to convince them that you have a brain capable of original and discerning thought, that your motivation and ambition is genuine and that you have already made worthwhile achievement.

Best of luck - though if you're the right material you shouldn't need it.

Man who walk through airport turnstile sideways going to Bangkok.

As with the interview, be yourself.

Thanks guys.

I wrote a little this afternoon - I forgot how hard it is to write something like this - even though I am still at University. I will keep this updated and let you know how it goes!

Does anyone know any really good quotes that I could use?

I am starting to write my Personal Statement today to apply for a Masters in Banking & Finance at Newcastle University and I like quotes!

I would like to start it with a quote.

My Personal Statement also needs to be AMAZING as I did (well doing) a Degree that isn't even connected to Finance/Maths/Economics/Business its wild...so it needs to catch their attention and think: "I would like Holly in my class!"

Haha...any general tips/advice?

I can have a max of 1500 words

I did consider this quote:- "Do you know the difference between education and experience? Education is when you read the fine print; experience is what you get when you don't. " or "A man who carries a cat by the tail learns something he can learn in no other way"

As my main point is that I have years of experience...which is good and they like that :smart:

Thank you!! Holly xx

Like the others I too wouldn't be too concerned about trying to get clever quotes into your statement.

What I would be thinking as your prospective prof would be:
- why do you want to do a masters in banking and finance
- do you demonstrate to me commitment and hard work, a willingness to learn
- why did you not do related subjects earlier ?
- can you convince me that you will stay the course and not get bored i.e. convince me of your enthusiasm for banking and finance and convince me why you have changed courses
- why do you want to come to Newcastle University
- what are your plans after you finish your course
- can you convince me that you are not indecisive just flipping from one thing to another

"Holly isn't just for Christmas"

Charlton

Not meaning to be mean here but writing in quotes is quite retarded IMO. Listen to hoggums and expand on what Charlton has said.

Bear in mid I don't even have a degree.

Not meaning to be mean here but writing in quotes is quite retarded IMO. Listen to hoggums and expand on what Charlton has said.

Bear in mid I don't even have a degree.

In good academic work quotes are used to substantiate an argument and are always referenced. Quotes in common useage have now assumed the status of the greengrocer's apostrophe.

Some of the ones that make me laugh:
"because you're worth it"
"get the best out of now"
"think outside the box"
"has it got legs?"
"blue sky thinking"

All this management and advertising Yukspeak just reinforces the dumbing-down of everyday life. It's never helped me in trading, certainly!

You're right about Hoggums and Charlton.

I'd rather reference the conclusions to a widely accepted, industry appropriate study than spout some philosophical but "to each; his own" eh ;)

Attachments

• RedTack.JPG
    RedTack.JPG
    162.4 KB · Views: 367
I would have thought that, since it's called a 'PERSONAL STATEMENT', the idea of using quotes (ie. other people's statements) should be fairly far at the back of your mind anyway. Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:
By the way TF, 'buy new highs sell new lows' is great in theory, but it's a good way to get the shaft as a local... ;)

It's not something I've ever practised tbh. It just reminds me to think outside of the box and to not try to find something in the PA which would fit into the idea I've formed about the market but isn't really there. Jab or move innit.